Quantcast
Royer R-122 on flute and/or clarinet? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Royer R-122 on flute and/or clarinet?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Royer R-122 on flute and/or clarinet?

Has anyone here used an R122 as a spot on flute and/or clarinet? If so, I'd love to hear some samples. I can't find much of anything online.

I know the SF-2 is more flat and would be the more common choice for these instruments. However, I'm curious to hear how a R122 would sound. My guess is a bit of EQ might be required to compensate for the R122 mid boost.

Thank you in advance.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Bump. Anyone have thoughts here?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I have used a large number of ribbon mics on flute and other winds. The R122 is an active version of the R121 and sounds essentially the same. The SF1/2/12/24 have a bit more refined sound, and are IMO as good as ribbons get - you can hear the SF12 in the thread about the $30k mic test.

Comparative samples from the $30K mic test session

The AEA N8 and R84 are also an excellent choices. The Coles 4038 is an awesome microphone and has a unique quality that I have not heard in any other ribbon, and perhaps most truly embodies the “ribbon” sound. The Samar ribbons likewise are earning a stellar reputation lately - I have tested the VL373A and it was quite nice - it is also included in the $30k mic test. Cascade, Golden Age, and other various makers all seem to make quite good mics also - I have owned and used very many affordable ribbons, and have liked all of them. I have not used the AEA R44.
📝 Reply