The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HORUS/HAPI viable alternatives
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
dtf
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick ➡️
A self-contained, fully functioning AoIP mobile rig, will ALWAYS work after just pluggin in the power and the 1 ethernet cable.
Hi Yannick,

that is funny to read, because the one problem I have heard Ravenna-based colleagues mention time over time is that a fully functioning AoIP rig might not be fully functioning after powered up on location... and then what?

This really has not been a one-off problem. And let's not get into the reliability of the Merging boxes...

All the best,

Dirk
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf ➡️
Hi Yannick,

that is funny to read, because the one problem I have heard Ravenna-based colleagues mention time over time is that a fully functioning AoIP rig might not be fully functioning after powered up on location... and then what?

This really has not been a one-off problem. And let's not get into the reliability of the Merging boxes...

All the best,

Dirk
There you are absolutely right, except in the mentioned case, if you did not commit user error, nor change anything, it will work.

When you start mixing setups, networks, or connecting Merging boxes to other systems with different software versions, THEN all hell can break loose. I experienced this last friday, the night before I had to get on a plane...

While I do agree Merging have a big problem there, and this can be very frustrating, my experience is it simply works if you take care not to trigger "weird" scenario's (in Merging's mind that is).
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf ➡️
And let's not get into the reliability of the Merging boxes...

All the best,

Dirk
Hardware or software? My experience over six years of remote recording under Masscore with two Horus, a Hapi, and two Anubis, and at least a dozen cards over all the generations is never having had a hardware failure. I've had only pilot error, and lots of that!

Tom
Lives for gear

Having frequently used at different times Dante, Ravenna, and AVB, i have definitely experienced the “flip the switch, nothing happens” more than a couple times, and for a variety of reasons.

My biggest takeaway has been that interfacing with a computer should be done with anything BUT your computer’s Ethernet card/usb/thunderbolt adapter if at all possible. This relating to more than a few bad experiences with Ravenna and Windows updates bricking my recording laptop, and some dropouts of blocks of channels when running DVS in a Dante setup.

As a result, my current AVB setup has computers interfacing with the AVB network via usb connections to the various Motu interfaces I have. As a result it’s been the most stable AoIP setup I’ve used regularly, though I’m definitely knocking on wood as I say that…

At my school job we use the Focusrite PCIe cards with secondary network for Dante to interface with the computers, and haven’t had problems connecting that way. Much more reliable than DVS.

They aren’t as plug-n-play as an optical connection, that’s true, but the routing flexibility (at least recently in Dante and AVB) has been worth the added complexity for me. And if you make sure your rig is as preconfigured as possible before you leave for the gig, that complexity can be significantly minimized.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
And if you make sure your rig is as preconfigured as possible before you leave for the gig, that complexity can be significantly minimized.
This is great advice for anyone taking anything more than the most minimal rig on location.

I always completely assemble my gear, especially the large multi-track rig for a few days before any job to iron out any little creases, label my best-guess inputs and outputs everywhere and give myself the best chance at (mostly) plug and play once I arrive at the venue. It takes a lot of stress off the job if I know that it all worked in the shop.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoRumsfield ➡️
I'm wondering if anyone has experience doing classical location recording with an AoIP system other than Merging Tech that they were pleased with.

I've researched Dante and AVB pretty extensively, and I have trouble coming up with a collection of network devices that will offer both good, remotely-operated mic pres and an output for a TALKBACK speaker.

I'm interested in the Dante mic pres from Millennia and Grace, but those do not have any outputs for my talkback speaker.

I'm not that interested in the RME AVB options because I'm not wild about their mic pres (I know many people like them, and that they're commonly used in major classical recordings).

I've been using a Metric Halo 3d system recently, but the controller software failed a couple times in some sessions last week, so I'm feeling ready to move on. I've also had some instances of intense, seemingly inexplicable digital noise with this system(?).

I've used a Merging system and have enjoyed it, but the only drawback I see is that you have to invest in a card with 8 outputs just to have a single output for the talkback.

Any opinions on these or other options I'm missing? Thanks!
There isn't anything else than Merging if you need DXD or PCM. Otherwise, there is Dante, which certainly has a more expansive ecosystem and a larger community to help you get started and solve problems.

A Merging Hapi MkII with a pair of the new ADA8P cards gives you 16 channels of I/O up to DSD256. The Anubis can be used as a mixer or monitor controller. In my setup, I have a separate Anubis for each task. In mixer mode, the Anubis Premium is limited to DXD. It has talkback capability and you can route the talkback to any of the outputs on your Hapi, including the headphone jack, at any sample rate you like up to DSD256. The new Anubis SPS can also serve as a simple switch for one other device, so for 16 channels, no separate switch needed (a single Anubis connected directly to a single Hapi with two 8 channel I/O cards). Just recently, Merging announced a partnership with Sonarworks, that will allow you to do room correction, then apply the corrective curve to the Anubis' outputs. Useful if you are working in an unfamiliar room. A Hapi + Anubis will easily fit into a carry on bag that you can put into an overhead bin. Hard to beat.

Last edited by bwanajim; 2 weeks ago at 03:55 AM..
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you go dante it's very easy to put a low cost dante to line out interface in the network for your TalkBack speaker.
https://www.bax-shop.nl/uitbreidings...te-xlr-adapter
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
...i forgot to mention than one can remotely control the yamaha rio stageboxes (via r remote) from any pc or mac - they are using dante, work up to 96k and are ubiquitous in live sound; hence they can get rented pretty much anywhere across the globe...
📝 Reply