Hello again / Actual recording session - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Hello again / Actual recording session
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Smile Hello again / Actual recording session

Hi All,

It's been so long since I posted in this forum that probably nobody even remembers me. The following is not a question, just sharing a fun experience I had yesterday.

Haven't been doing much recording the last few years, and then only hanging a pair of cardioids from the ceiling of the space where my community band (rehearses and) has the occasional concert. The ceiling thing came about due to a change in the where the band and audience were located. But that is a different story.

Recently my band decided they wanted to create a short promo film and contacted a local group video of people who do such things. My band also asked me to do the sound recording

This was not going to be in our usual space (which has highly sub optimal acoustics) but in a quite nice space in the local music school.

I decided to use a mid/side pair consisting of an Advanced Audio CM1084 with a cardioid capsule as the mid and an Audio Technica AT4081 as the side mic. The mic I really want is the MKH30, but I can't justify spending 1700 euros on a mic I might use once a year. On the other hand, "buy once cry once ...". To this I added a pair of omni's (CM1084's with omni capsules) spaced at 52 cm. Spacing derived from the Neumann app and the distance and angles, etc. All of this on a stand about 3,5 meters tall feeding into my Zoom F8.

While I had been in that room before I had not ever recorded there myself so I was keeping my fingers crossed as to the results. The film people had a mic running as a backup and to make it easier to sync things up later. No time code.

Processed the results last night when I got home. Balanced the various mics volume wise and put a little compression over it and sent the whole thing to the film people. And then of course extracted some takes for us (my band) to listen to. I am happy to report that the results were quite acceptable! I am a happy camper and yesterday's session has rekindled my interest in recording. Although the next opportunity might be months away.

Regards, Christine

Last edited by connloyalist; 6 days ago at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Forgot a verb
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Welcome back, Christine! Glad to hear you had a successful tracking session.

I looked at the specs for the AT 4081 and was impressed by how the pattern stays consistant at high frequencies. Its HF response is rather extended for a ribbon mic. I'll bet it worked well for you. Yes, MKH 30's are phenomenal, but other mics can be very satisfactory. I own four MKH 30's (why? Look up Hamasaki Square), but I sometimes use an AKG 414 in figure 8 for a side mic instead. The Sennheisers can sometimes be a bit "hard" sounding in halls with a bright acoustic. So even if you owned a MKH 30, you might still find yourself swapping in your AT 4081 from time to time.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 5 days ago
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Thank you, feels good to be back.

For the curious, here is the first minute of the first track. The conductor wasn't entirely satisfied musically, he thought it was a bit "messy". Doesn't affect the recording aspect of things.

- "Mid/Side only" is the CM1084 with a cardioid cap and an AT4081 side mic. These mics are of course nowhere close to being similar.

- "Omni only" is a pair of CM1084's with the omni caps. I really don't know if these have a presence bump at 8-ish KHz or not.

- MS+Omni is what you get when you combine the two. The omni's are a few dB's below the M/S pair.

The CM1084's have a button that switches between "V", "B" and "-10dB". I think V is for vintage, and seem to remember that giving a flatter response than the "B" setting? Either way, I always have them on "V".

No EQ, no compression or anything else here. I usually record in 88/24 so to be able to make an mp3 (at max quality 320 Kb) I took it down to 48/24.

By the way, any suggestions on how to improve my very modest abilities are welcome!

Regards, Christine
Attached Files

Last edited by connloyalist; 5 days ago at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Additional thought
๐Ÿ“ Reply