Quantcast
Update: Best Portable Recorder Sept 2021 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Update: Best Portable Recorder Sept 2021
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Update: Best Portable Recorder Sept 2021

Planning to record in a rain forest:

Im trying to decide which portable recorder is the better for record nature land scapes, but Im just supper dizzy...
Could you please help me...?

Looking for a Zoom H6 or F6... what other model/brand could be good in that price range?
I only need 4 channels, maybe for the future 6... nothing else.
What about noise and preamp in this models?
SD recording is running good on those? Functioning issues?

Which one could take the best out of the DPA 4060?

So Im concern about humidity
A. for mics (DPA 4060 should go ok, people say... It is that correct?
B. for the recorder, they told me to build a a humidity proof bag... do you know something about that?

C. Batteries, I saw somebody using a 12V car battery to power the recorder/phantoms/mics for long periods, 12hs over night... have you any experience with that? or should be better rechargeables batteries? other option?

D. In case to leave the equipment in the forest over night, I saw that could be secure to tie it to a tree...? Which would be the best stand/support for the DPA 4060?

C. Rain over mics... solution to continue recording? How sound is affected?

Maybe this is too basic for you guys but I will really appreciate your comments.

Best
Happ
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Radical suggestion: used SD 744T. Like a tank, bulletproof. Great sound, 3 media if you want, surprisingly versatile if you read thru the manual re: routing, outputs etc..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
SD702, long battery life, tank like, poly bag to keep ants out, mount on stand to stop rats and put 4060 on top in a small Rycote...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Strong recommendation for the Zoom F6 here. I use it with these batteries and this SD card. Excellent build quality, sounds great, no level setting (in 32-bit float mode) and has been 100% reliable for me.

(Side note: I would give a equally strong recommendation against the Zoom H6.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ โžก๏ธ
Planning to record in a rain forest:

Im trying to decide which portable recorder is the better for record nature land scapes, but Im just supper dizzy...
Could you please help me...?

Looking for a Zoom H6 or F6... what other model/brand could be good in that price range?
I only need 4 channels, maybe for the future 6... nothing else.
What about noise and preamp in this models?
SD recording is running good on those? Functioning issues?

Which one could take the best out of the DPA 4060?

So Im concern about humidity
A. for mics (DPA 4060 should go ok, people say... It is that correct?
B. for the recorder, they told me to build a a humidity proof bag... do you know something about that?

C. Batteries, I saw somebody using a 12V car battery to power the recorder/phantoms/mics for long periods, 12hs over night... have you any experience with that? or should be better rechargeables batteries? other option?

D. In case to leave the equipment in the forest over night, I saw that could be secure to tie it to a tree...? Which would be the best stand/support for the DPA 4060?

C. Rain over mics... solution to continue recording? How sound is affected?

Maybe this is too basic for you guys but I will really appreciate your comments.

Best
Happ
You may want check out Sound Devices MixPre6/MixPre10
Old 6 days ago
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
If you are actually going to record in a rainforest you will have to deal with temperature and humidity. This should be a major factor in choosing the equipment.

You may find that certain mic capsules will not work well in this type of environment - some capacitor capsules have a problem with discharge between the diaphragm and backplate when the humidity is high, causing noise in the output signal and making the output unusable. Sennheiser RF capacitor capsules seem to be less affected by this and might be a good choice in this instance.

You should consider the 'weatherproofness' of your recording device - it doesn't need to be fully waterproof (are any of them?) but something which is marketed as suitable for outdoor use/splashproof or rainproof (substitute 'resistant' for 'proof' if you prefer) may fare better in a very humid environment. Make no mistake, a rainforest will have humidity close to 100% at times.

To give examples, I have successfully used a Sound devices 788T in a rainforest with zero environmental issues. Running off both internal and external batteries, and using both CF card and internal HDD media. I wasn't sure if the HDD would last, so had redundant recording onto CFcard. I used a Soundfield ST450 mkii microphone system, which gets around the capsule humidity noise issue by having a built-in capsule heating element. When you first switch it on, you can hear the noise affecting the capsules, but after a few minutes of internal heating, the capsules have 'dried out' and gave totally noise-free signal.

Having the mics in a full fur-covered blimp will minimise both wind and rain noise, but if the rain is consistent you may find that another fabric or furry sheet layer held or placed over the mic blimp (like a soft umbrellla!) helps to reduce the individual raindrop 'impact's from making small thumps in the audio.

Hope that helps,
Dave.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper โžก๏ธ
Radical suggestion: used SD 744T. Like a tank, bulletproof. Great sound, 3 media if you want, surprisingly versatile if you read thru the manual re: routing, outputs etc..
Many thanks for your answer
I believe the SD 744T is discontinued
I personally dont like how the preamps sound on this recorder
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 โžก๏ธ
SD702, long battery life, tank like, poly bag to keep ants out, mount on stand to stop rats and put 4060 on top in a small Rycote...
I believe the SD 702 is discontinued, worth in front of a Pre Mix?
Thanks for the tips to keep away invaders
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltronic โžก๏ธ
Strong recommendation for the Zoom F6 here. I use it with these batteries and this SD card. Excellent build quality, sounds great, no level setting (in 32-bit float mode) and has been 100% reliable for me.

(Side note: I would give a equally strong recommendation against the Zoom H6.
Many thanks for your answer, I think I go for the SD Pre Mix 6
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmx16 โžก๏ธ
You may want check out Sound Devices MixPre6/MixPre10
Many thanks for point at this, I found it almost perfect for the project
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C โžก๏ธ
If you are actually going to record in a rainforest you will have to deal with temperature and humidity. This should be a major factor in choosing the equipment.

You may find that certain mic capsules will not work well in this type of environment - some capacitor capsules have a problem with discharge between the diaphragm and backplate when the humidity is high, causing noise in the output signal and making the output unusable. Sennheiser RF capacitor capsules seem to be less affected by this and might be a good choice in this instance.

You should consider the 'weatherproofness' of your recording device - it doesn't need to be fully waterproof (are any of them?) but something which is marketed as suitable for outdoor use/splashproof or rainproof (substitute 'resistant' for 'proof' if you prefer) may fare better in a very humid environment. Make no mistake, a rainforest will have humidity close to 100% at times.

To give examples, I have successfully used a Sound devices 788T in a rainforest with zero environmental issues. Running off both internal and external batteries, and using both CF card and internal HDD media. I wasn't sure if the HDD would last, so had redundant recording onto CFcard. I used a Soundfield ST450 mkii microphone system, which gets around the capsule humidity noise issue by having a built-in capsule heating element. When you first switch it on, you can hear the noise affecting the capsules, but after a few minutes of internal heating, the capsules have 'dried out' and gave totally noise-free signal.

Having the mics in a full fur-covered blimp will minimise both wind and rain noise, but if the rain is consistent you may find that another fabric or furry sheet layer held or placed over the mic blimp (like a soft umbrellla!) helps to reduce the individual raindrop 'impact's from making small thumps in the audio.

Hope that helps,
Dave.
Many thanks for your answer Dave

Soundfield ST450 mkii this seems to be far form the budget and goal, I need one recorder, one stereo pair of mics, I just dont wanna complicate the process...

What do you think about the LPA 4060? I hear, from people with experience, that they work perfect under humidity..

'weatherproofness' could you tell me what exactly you use?

Having the mics in a full fur-covered Blimp will minimise both wind and rain noise, but if the rain is consistent you may find that another fabric or furry sheet layer held or placed over the mic Blimp (like a soft umbrellla!) helps to reduce the individual raindrop 'impact's from making small thumps in the audio.................. could you tell me what exactly you use?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

What do you think about building a dry bug to keep away humidity from the recorder?
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happ โžก๏ธ
I believe the SD 744T is discontinued
I personally dont like how the preamps sound on this recorder
The preamps have been great for me and many others but that's a personal taste thing. I am aware that the 7xx machines are not made any more, but they are full supported by SD still ( I have a 744T @ SD for service right now). As a very inexpensive used machine they are a great bet current price vs performance and longevity, a very very proven tool.

Last edited by philper; 5 days ago at 03:49 AM..
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Plenty of 702s on the bay for 600 quid.
๐Ÿ“ Reply