Quantcast
2 track Portable Drum Recording... Setup suggestions?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2 track Portable Drum Recording... Setup suggestions??
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
2 track Portable Drum Recording... Setup suggestions??

So, I'm doing this portable 2 trk drum recording thing -1 large diaphragm overhead and 1 akg on the kick. I'm wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions for "standard protocol" when recording drums in less than ideal environments; basements, garages, whatever gallery spaces/ rooms, etc.

Honestly, I've never really had much of an issue with the sounds I've been able to get. I mean, you can tell it's not a studio with api's, but things usually sound great to me.

Just wanted to know if anyone had some tips or suggestions -Maybe even something I could pack up and take with me -I've seen people put up mattresses behind them, as well as hang up moving blankets etc.

Thanks

~T
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Especially if working in less than ideal environments, you would want a mic with much better off-axis response than most LDCs have. An fixed-pattern SDC would also have less color on the kit as well, because with only one OH, most off the kit will be off-axis also.

On many classic sessions at Capitol Records, the only OH was an Altec 'Coke bottle'; SDC omni.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by k brown ➡️
Especially if working in less than ideal environments, you would want a mic with much better off-axis response than most LDCs have. An fixed-pattern SDC would also have less color on the kit as well, because with only one OH, most off the kit will be off-axis also.

On many classic sessions at Capitol Records, the only OH was an Altec 'Coke bottle'; SDC omni.
Super cool to know! Thank you!

Yes -The LDC can tend to get a little "wiley", at times...
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Got any recommendations for, ya know... A cheaper one??

~T
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Line audio makes excellent, very affordable SDCs, both card and omni. Not sure why you seem fixed on a mono drum mix though - why not just use a pair of OHs like led zep did on “when the levee breaks”? Do you not have the facility/mixer to use a normal 4-mic setup - OHs, kick, snare? You could give us a bit more context on what you are doing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.M.A. ➡️
So, I'm doing this portable 2 trk drum recording thing -1 large diaphragm overhead and 1 akg on the kick. I'm wanting to know if anyone has any suggestions for "standard protocol" when recording drums in less than ideal environments; basements, garages, whatever gallery spaces/ rooms, etc.

Honestly, I've never really had much of an issue with the sounds I've been able to get. I mean, you can tell it's not a studio with api's, but things usually sound great to me.
maybe you wanna try m/s: this would at least get you stereo which ALWAYS sounds more natural in terms of spectral balance of the room sound than results form a single overhead but if you're into tweaking things anyhow, this may not matter...

Quote:
Just wanted to know if anyone had some tips or suggestions -Maybe even something I could pack up and take with me -I've seen people put up mattresses behind them, as well as hang up moving blankets etc.
changing room acoustics might lead you to using different mics and/or mic technique...
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lots of experimentation. Overhead directly over snare? Or behind drummer's head or over their shoulder? Is the kick mic inside the drum? Try it outside, varying the distance.

I recently did a 1-track drum recording to 4-track cassette. Tried a few things, but what ended up working that time was a ribbon mic 8" to the side of the kick, 18" from the snare, level with the snare and pointing at the snare shell.

Experiment, every room will be different, and it sounds like you're not in the same place every time.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
maybe you wanna try m/s: this would at least get you stereo which ALWAYS sounds more natural in terms of spectral balance of the room sound than results form a single overhead but if you're into tweaking things anyhow, this may not matter...

changing room acoustics might lead you to using different mics and/or mic technique...
M/S?

Mono? Stereo??
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorman ➡️
Line audio makes excellent, very affordable SDCs, both card and omni. Not sure why you seem fixed on a mono drum mix though - why not just use a pair of OHs like led zep did on “when the levee breaks”? Do you not have the facility/mixer to use a normal 4-mic setup - OHs, kick, snare? You could give us a bit more context on what you are doing.
-Yeah, I've only got two channels right now (roland quad capture interface). I know it has the midi, but I have no idea how to use them -Or what I would use them for in this context (micing things).

I've been thinking of getting a 4 track (octa capture), but I'm so poor right now and just trying to make do with what I have.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by standup ➡️
Lots of experimentation. Overhead directly over snare? Or behind drummer's head or over their shoulder? Is the kick mic inside the drum? Try it outside, varying the distance.

I recently did a 1-track drum recording to 4-track cassette. Tried a few things, but what ended up working that time was a ribbon mic 8" to the side of the kick, 18" from the snare, level with the snare and pointing at the snare shell.

Experiment, every room will be different, and it sounds like you're not in the same place every time.
I believe i've used a similar technique with a lot of success -LDC right over the kick drum beater level with the snare -Right in between the two rack toms...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
yep - except that in the first video, there's some bs: no 'phase issues' with the fig8 mic need to occur, provided that front and back lobe sound (almost) identical and that there isn't much of a deviation between the two analog channels used for the fig8 either (which is a reason though why it's mostly better to decode to l/r in the digital domain or to use a vca in the analog domain).

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 08:42 PM..
Gear Maniac

Well, there are those that refer to it as 'Mostly' Stereo. ; - )
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, there are those that refer to it as 'Mostly' Stereo. ; - )
This seems to have the hallmarks of an impending religious war…lol !
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

And one as old as 2-channel recording.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I used to do a live radio show with limited inputs and lots of instruments jammed together with no isolation. I was about to say "I had pretty good luck with..." but it wasn't luck, it was the eventual result of trial and error. What worked was an overhead in fig-8, as low as possible with the null oriented toward the other players. Plus a kick mic if I had enough inputs.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
I used to do a live radio show with limited inputs and lots of instruments jammed together with no isolation. I was about to say "I had pretty good luck with..." but it wasn't luck, it was the eventual result of trial and error. What worked was an overhead in fig-8, as low as possible with the null oriented toward the other players. Plus a kick mic if I had enough inputs.
"null"?

-T
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.M.A. ➡️
"null"?

-T
Read all about it.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I always wish articles like that would show the pattern in three dimensions - it's much more instructive; especially with an 8.

Here's a nice one.
Attached Thumbnails
2 track Portable Drum Recording... Setup suggestions??-eight_0.jpg  
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn ➡️
Awesome!!

Thank you!

-T
Old 1 week ago
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Place an omni mic at the (righty) drummer's right knee, just over the rim of the bass drum centered between the snare and toms drums.

The second mic can be an overhead or placed to capture room tone.

I've been doing the Drummer's Knee Mic Technique for decades with excellent results.
📝 Reply