Quantcast
Looking for a Sound Proof room for in my room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking for a Sound Proof room for in my room
Old 3 weeks ago
Looking for a Sound Proof room for in my room

Hi,
My house has very thin walls and I can't wear headphones because of hearing damage. (ringing in the ears gets absolutely worse when wearing headphones.
I like to work at night, at this moment I cannot because I cannot disturb the neighbours.

I am looking for a soundproof little studio room, preferably soundproof glass (or another fabric)
It does not have to be 100% soundproof.

What are options? What keywords do I have to search for on the internet?
Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Since it doesn't have to be 100% soundproof, why not build your own room, or treat the room you're in to help facilitate your needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiussound ➑️
Hi,
My house has very thin walls and I can't wear headphones because of hearing damage. (ringing in the ears gets absolutely worse when wearing headphones.
I like to work at night, at this moment I cannot because I cannot disturb the neighbours.

I am looking for a soundproof little studio room, preferably soundproof glass (or another fabric)

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi,

Thanks
Basically, you'd build it the same way you'd build a little studio. That is, a room within a room, where the inside room doesn't touch the outside room anywhere (a full acoustic break). This includes the ceiling and the floor, as well as all four walls. IOW, you are creating an air gap between your "studio" and the walls, ceiling and floor of the room it's build inside of. It's hard to transmit sound between air gaped spaces.

You can find out practically all you'd want to know about this in the Studio Building / Acoustics forum:

https://gearspace.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/

People write books about studio building. It's not that difficult, but there's a lot of details to get right. The more sound proof you want it, the more the details come into play.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
What keywords do I have to search for on the internet?
Sound booth

Whisper room
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...tive-audio-pvb

https://youtu.be/hpYEjq3XO_E

Last edited by studer58; 3 weeks ago at 04:55 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here you go...
Modular Removable Isolation Shells
Sound Isolation Enclosures Prefabricated and Modular from L P Swist Designs
Attached Thumbnails
Looking for a Sound Proof room for in my room-09-medium_007-im-58ebfc51-df10-4ad8-be23-80dfc6e624e4.jpg  
Attached Images
Looking for a Sound Proof room for in my room-09-imgext.jpg 

Last edited by surflounge; 2 weeks ago at 05:42 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I worked for a college designing their recording setup. They put in some pre-built rehearsal rooms made by Wenger. Here is a link https://www.wengercorp.com/sound-iso...tion-rooms.php they were not cheap but they were amazing at keeping noises out and loud sounds from getting out. I remember walking by one and seeing a trumpet player playing but I could not hear him outside the practice room. I don't know how the cost of DIYing yourself vs these vs having a contractor do it but these were a GREAT solution.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
I worked for a college designing their recording setup. They put in some pre-built rehearsal rooms made by Wenger. Here is a link https://www.wengercorp.com/sound-iso...tion-rooms.php they were not cheap but they were amazing at keeping noises out and loud sounds from getting out. I remember walking by one and seeing a trumpet player playing but I could not hear him outside the practice room. I don't know how the cost of DIYing yourself vs these vs having a contractor do it but these were a GREAT solution.
That's great in terms of isolation from its immediate environment...but how does it sound inside the booth, to the microphone ? Super dead and damped, like an anechoic chamber....or just small and boxy, like a walk-in wardrobe or a bathroom ? Your observation while walking past the 'silent' trumpet player is only half the story...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
That's great in terms of isolation from its immediate environment...but how does it sound inside the booth, to the microphone ? Super dead and damped, like an anechoic chamber....or just small and boxy, like a walk-in wardrobe or a bathroom ? Your observation while walking past the 'silent' trumpet player is only half the story...
Actually they sound very "normal" Here is a quote from their advertisement.

Superior Sound Isolation – Wenger guarantees the sound isolation with the highest rating in the industry, making each room 25% quieter than any other room on the market.
Room is Properly Tuned – The correct amount of absorption and diffusion is built-in so the musician can clearly hear the best possible sound.
Competitively Priced – An independent cost study shows that the Wenger SoundLok room costs 10% less on average when compared to a properly-constructed stick-built practice room.
Relocatable and Modular – Each room can be relocated or resized as future program needs grow, saving thousands of dollars in permanent building costs.
Virtual Acoustics Option – Allows the musician to learn how to adapt to performing in different performance spaces and get immediate feedback with record/playback during the practice session.

Just looked up the prices and they are not cheap BUT building a room within a room is also NOT CHEAP. See this article https://www.wengercorp.com/Lit/Wenge...BRO_LT0083.pdf

I am sure someone could do it on the "cheap" but???? how would it work and how would it sound? This is an all in one solution. This means the person does not have to hire an acoustical engineer, a builder and someone to finish the room when it is done. From their prices it seems very comparable to "stick built" (from scratch) enclosures and maybe even "cheaper"

I know that if I built my mastering room today it would be very expensive. In 1995 it cost me about $20,000 + with the HVAC and construction and it was done in an existing building that had no real problems. Today it would probably cost me $30,000 for just the labor.

Construction costs and labor cost are continuing to go up.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
I worked for a college designing their recording setup. They put in some pre-built rehearsal rooms made by Wenger. Here is a link https://www.wengercorp.com/sound-iso...tion-rooms.php
If you have the cash, the Wenger sound isolation booths are exactly what I have in mind for the room-in-a-room design.

I've used practice rooms done this way at my local university's music building, they work beautifully and have acceptable sound inside. That is, they aren't excessively dead sounding, but a nice blend of absorption and diffusion. And next to zero sound transmitted from inside to outside or vice versa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson ➑️
If you have the cash, the Wenger sound isolation booths are exactly what I have in mind for the room-in-a-room design.

I've used practice rooms done this way at my local university's music building, they work beautifully and have acceptable sound inside. That is, they aren't excessively dead sounding, but a nice blend of absorption and diffusion. And next to zero sound transmitted from inside to outside or vice versa.
Thanks. I will definitely look into that. Good to read that the sound is still acceptable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➑️
Since it doesn't have to be 100% soundproof, why not build your own room, or treat the room you're in to help facilitate your needs?
If the build of an own room is more affordable than a ruim build by a company this might be interest ing for me, thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Watson ➑️
Basically, you'd build it the same way you'd build a little studio. That is, a room within a room, where the inside room doesn't touch the outside room anywhere (a full acoustic break). This includes the ceiling and the floor, as well as all four walls. IOW, you are creating an air gap between your "studio" and the walls, ceiling and floor of the room it's build inside of. It's hard to transmit sound between air gaped spaces.

You can find out practically all you'd want to know about this in the Studio Building / Acoustics forum:

https://gearspace.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/

People write books about studio building. It's not that difficult, but there's a lot of details to get right. The more sound proof you want it, the more the details come into play.
I am willing to l do some hard work so I can build it myself. Thanks for sharing the link to the right section in this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge ➑️
Here you go...
Thanks, what is the name of this room!
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
A new prefabricated soundproof room is economically astronomical.
It will cost much more than if you bought the materials and did it yourself.

Quote:
If the build of an own room is more affordable than a ruim build by a company this might be interest ing for me, thanks.
πŸ“ Reply