Quantcast
PhoenixVerb vs 480L hardware vs 480L plugin? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PhoenixVerb vs 480L hardware vs 480L plugin?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
PhoenixVerb vs 480L hardware vs 480L plugin?

Hi, I'd like to upgrade my reverb, and since I saw that Emil Berliner uses a Lexicon 480L, of course I figured I needed one.

What's the word on Gearspace Street about the best reverbs? I saw UAD has a 480L plugin and am wondering how that compares with the actual 480L, and how this would compare with the PhoenixVerb I've been using till now.

Thank you!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Phoenix is a pretty nice algorithmic verb, and nothing like the older lexicon sound. Personally I don’t prefer lexicon for classical type material, and largely use convolution verbs with a variety of chambers and halls here. The 480l is a classic box, but has a relatively clunky interface, which the plugin version generally duplicates. I have a very nice set of impulse responses for the 480l and 960l that I can send you if you wish to try them for your uses. However, I would recommend that you also try a good convolution reverb plugin with IRs specific to the kind of music you do. For classical work, Altiverb and inspirata both come with extremely good IRs, but reverberate and waves IR1are very effective convo verbs if you are willing to do some searching for a few newer IRS - sunset chamber from bricasti M7, etc…. There are some excellent IRS out there for free these days.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Thanks so much! I'm checking out Altiverb right now, and it sounds great. However, is this kind of reverb still useful for extending existing reverb tails? I'm not recording in dry studios but rather in concert halls and (usually) not-too-reverberant churches. I've honestly always found it challenging to hear a reverb tail and adjust algorithmic reverb settings to match, and I don't think my results are excellent...but perhaps I'm indeed using the wrong tools.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS ➡️
Hi, I'd like to upgrade my reverb, and since I saw that Emil Berliner uses a Lexicon 480L, of course I figured I needed one.

What's the word on Gearspace Street about the best reverbs? I saw UAD has a 480L plugin and am wondering how that compares with the actual 480L, and how this would compare with the PhoenixVerb I've been using till now.

Thank you!
The Relab plugin is good, PhoenixVerb is mediocre. As far as hardware goes those aren't very good either but different than plugins. The converters and preamp section of a real 480l adds a certain quality to the sound of the unit. It's not better or worse quality, it's just very different than plugins which are going to be way more accurate and cleaner. That may or may not be describable.

Something like WavesIR1 with the 480l impulses is very good and very inexpensive
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I see, looks like WavesIR1 is more focused on being able to start with an IR and then customize to your needs, which seems better suited to extending existing reverb.

By the way, here's the Lexicon 480 L plugin from UAD:

https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/r...b-effects.html

It's on sale for $139. Perhaps WavesIR1 with Lexicon IRs will be more customizable than that, though?
📝 Reply