Quantcast
Recording marching band and concert bands with on-cam mounted mic - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording marching band and concert bands with on-cam mounted mic
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Recording marching band and concert bands with on-cam mounted mic

I am the volunteer to be videographer for my daughter's high school bands, which includes marching bound and concert band. I'd like to get better audio than what the mic in my camcorder can do, but I am will be limited to getting my sound at the camera itself. Mics on the field for the marching band, or up at the stage for the concert band is not going to be viable.

My camera has 2 XLR inputs with manual control (CH1/2) plus a 1/8" input (CH3/4) available.

For marching band recording of halftime, I will setup on top of the press box, at the 50 yard line, ~90 ft away from the front sideline, and ~25' above field level. For concert band recording I will be at the back of the auditorium, about 60' from the stage, and performers on stage span about 30' across the stage. In both situations, there's no people/sound coming from behind me and generally no sound on either side of me, I'm basically in the back by myself.

I don't know if it's remotely feasible to have 1 mic that will do a good job overall with both of these scenarios, but that would be ideal in terms of my budget. I'll buy an $800 mic because I'll be doing this for 4 years, but getting 2 of them is another story.

I have generally been looking at stereo mic options since stereo seems to be desirable for music and there's not a lot in my budget--Audio Technica AT8022/BP4025 X/Y or BP4027/4029 M-S. Rode NT4 and Shure VP88 are in budget but on-camera mount seems less likely with those due to mic diameter and weight.

Not sure if I am barking up the wrong tree in mic selection, stereo vs. mono, or if it's even worth spending money given my limitations on mic placement. Hoping those of you who know a lot more about this than I do can help me out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For your 1/8"inputs 3 and 4, why not consider the wireless Rode Go II with 2 transmitters/1 stereo receiver, $299US the set...200metre line of sight transmission at 2.4GHz

Note that with a recent firmware update, they can not only act as transmitters, but each transmitter can now also record the audio onboard itself...in case you suffer transmission dropouts during recording, you can download the audio from each transmitter later. Syncing up the audio streams later shouldn't be too difficult, you'll be able to nudge the audio streams forward or back as necessary.

If there's a conductor or band-leader out front, you might attach the Rode transmitter to their shirt collar (front or back...depending on whether they're facing towards or have their back to the band) I think you get about 7 hours of transmission time (and onboard recording time) per unit

Just another recording option, as well as any wired mics you might attach to the camera (not sure if camera mic xlr inputs 1 and 2 are in addition to, or alternatives for, inputs 3/4 ?)

https://rode.com/microphones/wireless/wirelessgoii

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...i_compact.html

Last edited by studer58; 3 weeks ago at 03:54 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Audio Technica MS mic on a tall stand next to camera, as directional as you can get.
Or Hire full MKH stereo kit in a Rycote.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Voltronic does a lot of this. He'll probably comment with his perspective. Suggest you search through his posts because he's pretty thoughtful about what he does.
📝 Reply