Quantcast
Questions about Setting Preamps for a classical recording - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Questions about Setting Preamps for a classical recording
Old 13 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio ➡️
You do that if you want that sound. I've never been able to get anything approaching a natural sound doing that... it is possible to keep everything from being in your face but it still has a very "close attack" kind of sound no matter what you do.

Sometimes people do that because the acoustics are just so bad it's the only way they can deal with them. Sometimes people do that because they specifically want that Enoch Light kind of sound. Sometimes people do that because the audience noise is very high. But sometimes they do it for no good reason at all.

Often I'll have the customer tell me they want sectional mikes and they want spots on specific instruments (which may or may not be soloists). "We'll need at least three mikes on the choir." I always put those mikes up. I very seldom put them into the final mix.
--scott
i don't bother much whether the sound is considered to be 'natural' vs 'supernatural' or realistic vs 'hyper realistic' etc - in fact, i doubt any recording/playback can be natural/realistic - but rather whether it's convincing, engaging, pleasing...

...and whether the technique being used allows to steer the mix in various directions.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 12 hours ago at 09:19 PM..
Old 12 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Regarding the "more or less" mic question, I think it is human nature to justify one's hard work. I think that those folks who record a lot of mics thinking they will only use a few are deluding themselves. "I have these three cello mics. Let's see how they all sound together. There you go! I actually mixed the cellos. Doesn't it sound great!."

It's the music recording equal to putting wireless lavs on all the actors in a movie scene. It's my opinion that the dialog from those recording have no "air" around them, no perspective and no soul. And those movies sound like s**t to me. I know why current-day sound mixers do it. No argument there. But it doesn't sound as good as a couple of overheads, mixed by competent PSM and Post Sound pros. At least to my ears.

Let's not talk about a film scoring session which most of us seem to think is another kind of bird from a classical live recording.

I believe in my heart that my two or four mic recordings will sound better than someone's 28 mic recordings in the end. Why? For the same reasons that booms sound better than lavs. Perspective, width, depth, "air", natural reverb, soul.

So I will continue, as much as possible (cameras at these events WILL change things) to record with minimal mics, let the musos take care of the balance as they always have, and make a recording that closely reflects the experience of those lucky enough to attend the live event.

Just my $.02. That $.02 and five bucks will buy you a Starbucks.

D.
Spot on, and perfectly described.
If you hadn't experienced it, you wouldn't have been able to describe it !

There are some recordings made this way that you feel as though you are there, just like those photographs where you feel you could walk into the picture.

I have in mind a recording of Britten's Variations on a theme of Frank Bridge made by Tony Faulkner, played by the English Chamber Orchestra under Sir Alexander Gibson.
If you cut it, it would bleed.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio ➡️
You do that if you want that sound. I've never been able to get anything approaching a natural sound doing that... it is possible to keep everything from being in your face but it still has a very "close attack" kind of sound no matter what you do.
Related to that is the fact that the instruments of the orchestra, and even more so classical/operatic voices need distance to 'develop' properly and attain the expected/intended sound. When ONLY spots are used to 'build the sound' you're building it from a distorted sound picture of the instruments/sections. 'Distorted' in an acoustic sense, not a technical one. Only when these closer mics are mixed at a level far below the main pickup do they not sound 'distorted' but only add a bit detail and texture to the 'fully developed' sound from the mains.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton ➡️
There are some recordings made this way that you feel as though you are there, just like those photographs where you feel you could walk into the picture.
It was just this very thing that got me started recording classical music in the first place. A friend was listening to some binaural nature recordings I'd made, and she took off the 'phones and innocently asked: "Do you have any music recorded this way?" - In the blink of an eye the course of my life was changed forever. Decades of experimentation and study to find a way to record classical music that has that kind of 'you are there' quality.
📝 Reply