KSM141s in the wind - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KSM141s in the wind
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
KSM141s in the wind

My little amateur corner of the recording/video world is a collection of YouTube videos of Hawaiian music, especially slack key guitar. Many of the clips capture me playing alongside the inimitable Ledward Kaapana.

I upgraded my audio rig from a Zoom H6 to an F6 when the 32 bit recorder came out, it's been a big help in eliminating problematic level setting. Anything that reduces my chances of screwing up is welcome! With the H6 I relied on the attached mics but the switch to the F6 meant a need for external mics. For our latest trip to O`ahu I took along my Shure KSM141 pair, they seemed like a good bet for flexibility.

During the pandemic Ledward developed an interest in gardening and landscaping, so he had revamped his backyard plantings. It turns out that our most watched YouTube video was shot in his backyard back in 2012, so I thought it would be interesting to shoot a new version of the same song in the new backyard. It turns out that the tradewinds are really whipping these days, and I don't have any serious wind protection for these mics, so I switched them to the omni setting in hopes of avoiding the worst of the wind noise. The results were a very pleasant surprise.

As you can see from the palm trees there is some serious blowing going on but with a bit of low cut here and there I think the result is pretty satisfactory.

Fran
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
A bit OT but I have recorded Ledward and "the boys" (and I don't know who is still playing with him these days) a couple of times.

Such a nice group of people. Talented as well. Please say "hi" from Doug in Seattle when you see him next.

D.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Holy Visual Disparity Batman ! Ordinarily, with that sort of palm-leaf action, you'd expect to see big fluffy Rycotes deployed without hesitancy...yet here's a pair of SD omnis (with typical mfr-accessory foamies) performing spectacularly. The LF roll off is noticeable but quite benign.

A casual observer might simply conclude that this was miming to playback, without Fran's supplied description above....a great example of "Essentialism" problem-solving, well done
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You'd have to be nuts to go and record such delicate music with omni mics in a 'breeze' like that!

But you did and it sounds great - a lovely clip all round, with the bird joining in on the outro.

Really nice listen - thanks for sharing.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This video is the essence of the type of creative nature that is in control of todays world of recording. The ability to accurately capture musical talent with entry level gear in a wind swept Hawaiian back yard is pretty remarkable. The ability to create a benchmark visual recording of an exceptional musical experience is a reward that transcends money: it is validation of the time and capital investment we make to pursue our special interests.

The Slack Key guitar world centered in the Hawaiian islands is a regional musical phenomenon that resembles the "Old Time & Bluegrass" genre here in the Blue Ridge mountains. These are the time less threads of our culture that the top 40 gate keepers never ever cared about but today are alive and well through home based efforts like this one that the OP has provided. Thank You Fran Guidry.
Hugh
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That’s really impressive - great job!

I almost wanted you to add some wind SFX back in so that the audio matches the visual more closely… now it could almost be overdubbed! (Tongue firmly in cheek on that comment btw)

Seriously though, sounds great!

-Mike
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice Fran !
I just recorded an outdoor concert with wind...
It was with a pair of OM1 (omni) and these windscreens https://www.mikrofon-windschutz-gutm.../beyerdynamic/
I had nothing to filter because of the wind.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry ➡️
My little amateur corner of the recording/video world is a collection of YouTube videos of Hawaiian music, especially slack key guitar. Many of the clips capture me playing alongside the inimitable Ledward Kaapana.

I upgraded my audio rig from a Zoom H6 to an F6 when the 32 bit recorder came out, it's been a big help in eliminating problematic level setting. Anything that reduces my chances of screwing up is welcome! With the H6 I relied on the attached mics but the switch to the F6 meant a need for external mics. For our latest trip to O`ahu I took along my Shure KSM141 pair, they seemed like a good bet for flexibility.

During the pandemic Ledward developed an interest in gardening and landscaping, so he had revamped his backyard plantings. It turns out that our most watched YouTube video was shot in his backyard back in 2012, so I thought it would be interesting to shoot a new version of the same song in the new backyard. It turns out that the tradewinds are really whipping these days, and I don't have any serious wind protection for these mics, so I switched them to the omni setting in hopes of avoiding the worst of the wind noise. The results were a very pleasant surprise.

As you can see from the palm trees there is some serious blowing going on but with a bit of low cut here and there I think the result is pretty satisfactory.

Fran
An interesting video for many reasons,

The use of Omnis in that wind is very efficient ,

but for me was the musical complicity between you two...

when Led went for the open string solo and you replied with your own harmonics solo ..priceless moments.....!!!

Thx

Ray
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
A bit OT but I have recorded Ledward and "the boys" (and I don't know who is still playing with him these days) a couple of times.

Such a nice group of people. Talented as well. Please say "hi" from Doug in Seattle when you see him next.

D.
All pass your "hi" along this afternoon, we're hosting Led and friends for dinner.

I think you did the audio for the sessions at the Triple Door for Ken Levine, right? That resulted in one of my favorite CDs.

Fran
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Holy Visual Disparity Batman ! Ordinarily, with that sort of palm-leaf action, you'd expect to see big fluffy Rycotes deployed without hesitancy...yet here's a pair of SD omnis (with typical mfr-accessory foamies) performing spectacularly. The LF roll off is noticeable but quite benign.

A casual observer might simply conclude that this was miming to playback, without Fran's supplied description above....a great example of "Essentialism" problem-solving, well done
Thanks, I would call it more luck than skill, but it's the result that counts (grin).

Fran
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️
You'd have to be nuts to go and record such delicate music with omni mics in a 'breeze' like that!

But you did and it sounds great - a lovely clip all round, with the bird joining in on the outro.

Really nice listen - thanks for sharing.
Too bad we can't get that bird to go on tour!! I must say, it's not too hard to get a sweet sound when Led is driving. You can see in the video how far the mic is from his guitar - his thumb and fingerpick and that well-used old Martin just reached out to the mic.

Fran
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughshouse ➡️
This video is the essence of the type of creative nature that is in control of todays world of recording. The ability to accurately capture musical talent with entry level gear in a wind swept Hawaiian back yard is pretty remarkable. The ability to create a benchmark visual recording of an exceptional musical experience is a reward that transcends money: it is validation of the time and capital investment we make to pursue our special interests.

The Slack Key guitar world centered in the Hawaiian islands is a regional musical phenomenon that resembles the "Old Time & Bluegrass" genre here in the Blue Ridge mountains. These are the time less threads of our culture that the top 40 gate keepers never ever cared about but today are alive and well through home based efforts like this one that the OP has provided. Thank You Fran Guidry.
Hugh
Hugh, I have to say that you nailed my motives dead center. The first moment I heard slack key I was pulled in, and as I immersed myself in the style I realized that while I could never be Hawaiian I could help spread the sound and feeling to others like myself and, without irony, do a little something to make the world a better place.

Fran
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticrogues ➡️
That’s really impressive - great job!

I almost wanted you to add some wind SFX back in so that the audio matches the visual more closely… now it could almost be overdubbed! (Tongue firmly in cheek on that comment btw)

Seriously though, sounds great!

-Mike
Mike, I think you have a good point, I think there's an argument to be made for hearing just a bit of wind noise. But as it turns out there really was almost none in the KSM141 pair. I would have had to mix in a bit of camera sound to get the effect and I didn't think of it.

Fran
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieujm ➡️
Nice Fran !
I just recorded an outdoor concert with wind...
It was with a pair of OM1 (omni) and these windscreens https://www.mikrofon-windschutz-gutm.../beyerdynamic/
I had nothing to filter because of the wind.
I should invest in something like those I think. They're certainly reasonable in cost.

Fran
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayS ➡️
An interesting video for many reasons,

The use of Omnis in that wind is very efficient ,

but for me was the musical complicity between you two...

when Led went for the open string solo and you replied with your own harmonics solo ..priceless moments.....!!!

Thx

Ray
Thanks, Ray, you're very kind. As you can probably tell we are improvising nearly all the way through, Led is very much a "play from the heart" guy and I just try to stay in touch with what he's doing. Most fun I've ever had, that's for sure.

Fran
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Love it! Congratulations on creating a delightful recording in a tricky setting. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry ➡️
Mike, I think you have a good point, I think there's an argument to be made for hearing just a bit of wind noise. But as it turns out there really was almost none in the KSM141 pair. I would have had to mix in a bit of camera sound to get the effect and I didn't think of it.

Fran
I think what you did is perfect. Most of my work is “sound for picture” so I’m hyper-focused on that and it throws me off at first glance to see something happening in the image that I don’t hear. It think the purpose of this video was to showcase the music and not the environment though and I think you did an impressive job.

-Mike
📝 Reply