Quantcast
Need some help with the 4 Microphone "Faulkner" Array - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need some help with the 4 Microphone "Faulkner" Array
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #91
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by k brown ➡️
I'll go to my grave not understanding why anyone would care what their recording sounds like on a smartphone speaker.
I will agree with you to the extent that I don't understand why people actually listen to music on a smartphone speaker. But people do, and they judge things by that. In this case the recording was for a set of promotional videos my band is doing, so unfortunately having it sound at least halfway decent under such conditions is unavoidable.

I suppose it is a bit like when you watch a youtube video (any subject) and the sound quality is terrible. I myself will turn it off regardless of the quality of the video or the content.

Regards, Christine
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
  #92
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by connloyalist ➡️
I will agree with you to the extent that I don't understand why people actually listen to music on a smartphone speaker. But people do, and they judge things by that. In this case the recording was for a set of promotional videos my band is doing, so unfortunately having it sound at least halfway decent under such conditions is unavoidable.

I suppose it is a bit like when you watch a youtube video (any subject) and the sound quality is terrible. I myself will turn it off regardless of the quality of the video or the content.

Regards, Christine
Any comb filtering from using non-coincident technique is not going to keep it from sounding 'halfway decent', or make it sound 'terrible'.
Old 4 weeks ago
  #93
Gear Head
 
here is part of the Mendelssohn Symphony

i think it would have been better if I got a little closer/higher and had some outriggers (ordering more stands) - but I quite like this array idea - its very reliable
Attached Files

FelixExc.wav (11.73 MB, 317 views)

Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #94
Gear Addict
 
Quite nice balance.

FWIW, I thought I'd share the way I've been using the 4-mic that's worked very well for me.

I have MC012 hypercardioids in the middle, and set the array just a tad further back than my best guess at to optimal (when I don't have time to move it around during rehearsal to find the best spot, which is all too often), start with the omnis up full, and if the result is a bit too off-mic, just mix in the hypers until I get the extra 'closeness' it needs. Most of the time the middle pair end up 6-9 dB down.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #95
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by k brown ➡️
Quite nice balance.

FWIW, I thought I'd share the way I've been using the 4-mic that's worked very well for me.

I have MC012 hypercardioids in the middle, and set the array just a tad further back than my best guess at to optimal (when I don't have time to move it around during rehearsal to find the best spot, which is all too often), start with the omnis up full, and if the result is a bit too off-mic, just mix in the hypers until I get the extra 'closeness' it needs. Most of the time the middle pair end up 6-9 dB down.
thanks for your feedback - do you angle the mics downwards? for this one i kept them parallel to the floor
Also, I don't own any hypercardiods - do they make a huge difference? (I only have wide and normal)
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #96
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickett ➡️
thanks for your feedback - do you angle the mics downwards? for this one i kept them parallel to the floor
Also, I don't own any hypercardiods - do they make a huge difference? (I only have wide and normal)
Most of the time aimed down, yes - what was your reason for straight ahead; mics too bright?

Two reasons for the hypers; of all the directionals I have they are the most uncolored off-axis (very important for Classical in reverberent spaces), plus they give the widest range of 'close/far' in mixing the pairs, like a lens with a greater zoom ratio.

I started using them in a space I worked in frequently that had strong side wall reflections, so hypers rejected more of that than cards, or certainly wide cards. But I've stuck with them because they also pick up more of the late reflections from the back of the hall. Floor and side wall reflections are the biggest contributors to 'off-mic' sound.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #97
Lives for gear
 
mljung's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by k brown ➡️
I have MC012 hypercardioids in the middle...
Interresting. Do you keep them at 'Faulkner distance' and angle... or?
::
Mads
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #98
Gear Addict
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung ➡️
Interresting. Do you keep them at 'Faulkner distance' and angle... or?
::
Mads
Per the Sengpiel calculator, I use them at 12" (still at 90 degrees); the Oktavas are really between super card and hyper. True hypers would get put closer to 10".
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 0 views: 1037
Avatar for bangbang
bangbang 15th December 2017
replies: 216 views: 13689
Avatar for studer58
studer58 3 weeks ago
replies: 3306 views: 63409
Avatar for Synth Guru
Synth Guru 21st August 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump