Need some help with the 4 Microphone "Faulkner" Array - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need some help with the 4 Microphone "Faulkner" Array
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by k brown ➡️
I'll go to my grave not understanding why anyone would care what their recording sounds like on a smartphone speaker.
I will agree with you to the extent that I don't understand why people actually listen to music on a smartphone speaker. But people do, and they judge things by that. In this case the recording was for a set of promotional videos my band is doing, so unfortunately having it sound at least halfway decent under such conditions is unavoidable.

I suppose it is a bit like when you watch a youtube video (any subject) and the sound quality is terrible. I myself will turn it off regardless of the quality of the video or the content.

Regards, Christine
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by connloyalist ➡️
I will agree with you to the extent that I don't understand why people actually listen to music on a smartphone speaker. But people do, and they judge things by that. In this case the recording was for a set of promotional videos my band is doing, so unfortunately having it sound at least halfway decent under such conditions is unavoidable.

I suppose it is a bit like when you watch a youtube video (any subject) and the sound quality is terrible. I myself will turn it off regardless of the quality of the video or the content.

Regards, Christine
Any comb filtering from using non-coincident technique is not going to keep it from sounding 'halfway decent', or make it sound 'terrible'.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

here is part of the Mendelssohn Symphony

i think it would have been better if I got a little closer/higher and had some outriggers (ordering more stands) - but I quite like this array idea - its very reliable
Attached Files

FelixExc.wav (11.73 MB, 317 views)

Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quite nice balance.

FWIW, I thought I'd share the way I've been using the 4-mic that's worked very well for me.

I have MC012 hypercardioids in the middle, and set the array just a tad further back than my best guess at to optimal (when I don't have time to move it around during rehearsal to find the best spot, which is all too often), start with the omnis up full, and if the result is a bit too off-mic, just mix in the hypers until I get the extra 'closeness' it needs. Most of the time the middle pair end up 6-9 dB down.
Gear Head

Quote:
Quite nice balance.

FWIW, I thought I'd share the way I've been using the 4-mic that's worked very well for me.

I have MC012 hypercardioids in the middle, and set the array just a tad further back than my best guess at to optimal (when I don't have time to move it around during rehearsal to find the best spot, which is all too often), start with the omnis up full, and if the result is a bit too off-mic, just mix in the hypers until I get the extra 'closeness' it needs. Most of the time the middle pair end up 6-9 dB down.
thanks for your feedback - do you angle the mics downwards? for this one i kept them parallel to the floor
Also, I don't own any hypercardiods - do they make a huge difference? (I only have wide and normal)
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickett ➡️
thanks for your feedback - do you angle the mics downwards? for this one i kept them parallel to the floor
Also, I don't own any hypercardiods - do they make a huge difference? (I only have wide and normal)
Most of the time aimed down, yes - what was your reason for straight ahead; mics too bright?

Two reasons for the hypers; of all the directionals I have they are the most uncolored off-axis (very important for Classical in reverberent spaces), plus they give the widest range of 'close/far' in mixing the pairs, like a lens with a greater zoom ratio.

I started using them in a space I worked in frequently that had strong side wall reflections, so hypers rejected more of that than cards, or certainly wide cards. But I've stuck with them because they also pick up more of the late reflections from the back of the hall. Floor and side wall reflections are the biggest contributors to 'off-mic' sound.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I have MC012 hypercardioids in the middle...
Interresting. Do you keep them at 'Faulkner distance' and angle... or?
::
Mads
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung ➡️
Interresting. Do you keep them at 'Faulkner distance' and angle... or?
::
Mads
Per the Sengpiel calculator, I use them at 12" (still at 90 degrees); the Oktavas are really between super card and hyper. True hypers would get put closer to 10".
📝 Reply