Quantcast
Advice for concealing gear when recording singer at piano - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Advice for concealing gear when recording singer at piano
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Advice for concealing gear when recording singer at piano

Hi all,

I'm involved with an indie film project where we have to film a musician singing and playing piano at the same time. The director wants to do a 360 rotation shot aiming at the singer/piano so doesn't want any gear nearby.

I was thinking about using a far field mic like AEA r88 mk2 from 6-10 feet away (it will be completely in the dark by then) aiming at the curve, and then hang a small condenser (Oktava mk12) from the ceiling aiming at the singer so it's out of the frame.

Would this work? Also is it really that bad to record voice with a SDC pencil mic like the Oktava? It did sound a little thin when I used it for dialogue, but I'm scared to hang a large diaphragm from the ceiling. Would that even work?

This is my first location sound project so I'm a complete newbie at audio recording for film. Would appreciate any advice or if you have had similar experience recording a singer at piano from afar please let me know your setup. Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the AEA mic should be in the shot! Especially since not being used just as a prop, but really recording through it. Not fake synced. Save the world from phony robot recordings. Capture performance truth and keep it real.

Last edited by surflounge; 1 week ago at 06:11 PM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Playback is the only way.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

If sound quality matters, you need to pre-record the audio and resync with the video later.
If sound quality does not matter too much, you might try with miniature microphones for the singer and a stereo on the piano.
I would definitely go for pre-recording / resyncing.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apotheosis ➡️
If sound quality matters, you need to pre-record the audio and resync with the video later.
If sound quality does not matter too much, you might try with miniature microphones for the singer and a stereo on the piano.
I would definitely go for pre-recording / resyncing.
Sound quality matters to the director.

How would one go about resyncing in post? The singer/pianist improvises a lot. I've been scratching my head at this.

Do you have any suggestions on miniature mics? How different do they sound from LDC or ribbon? I've never used one before.
Here for the gear

@ surflounge If I had the say in it I'd love to do that. Honestly the world of filming audio is depressing to me who got into audio recording in a studio setting.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileypoots ➡️
@ surflounge If I had the say in it I'd love to do that. Honestly the world of filming audio is depressing to me who got into audio recording in a studio setting.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the best way will be to do things in two passes:
first pass: record the vocalist/piano optimally, using the best mic placements without any regard to how it looks. a suitable microphone arrangement would be to close mic the vocalist with a large diaphragm condenser set to a directional pattern, and mic the piano with a pair of small diaphragm condensers. ideally, you would record the piano separately so the voice is not having to compete with the piano. can the pianist record and play to a click with closed-back headphones?

second pass: have the performer act to his/her own performance. play the recording back over a loudspeaker, and have the artist sing/play to the recording you just made. do several video takes, and edit things together so it looks realistic. if you do a lot of jump cuts, video fades, pans, etc. nobody is going to know. nobody is going to care either.

there is no way you are going to get a proper recording putting the mics out of the camera shot. pianos are loud. the piano will dominate the vocalist. even a classical singer will stand several feet out in front of the piano to get separation and distance advantage. but you have no such opportunity with your singer/songerwriter video project. it won't sound right either. 99.99999% of pop/jazz vocals are done with the mic within 24 inches of the singer.

to convince the director: do it his or her way first. have him/her hear that the results are terrible. then do it the way i am suggesting.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearstudent ➡️
the best way will be to do things in two passes…
This…100%….don’t buck convention ! Especially on the ‘multiple takes of the second pass’…gives ample material for that ‘produced music video look’
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you must do a single pass, I'd try a pair of DPA4060/61 inside the piano (1/3-2/3, 18-24" back from the hammers, gaff taped just above (1/4") the frame. The sound is immediate/close-up, and, with a well-tuned and voiced instrument, sweet and full, IME.

Then mic the vocalist with either a headworn DPA 6066 CORE Subminiature Omnidirectional Headset Microphone (element just under the ear) or a DPA 4060 element hidden in the hairline (center) or over/under the off-camera ear, or at the neck (center) of the garment (button hole, necktie, bowtie, necklace, neckline, etc.) Unless the vocal is weak/low level, the proximity should allow sufficient separation from the piano, and the flat response of the omni element should keep the off-axis piano spill benign. These can be hardwired, or transmitted through high-end (Lectrosonics, Shure Axient, Sennheiser 6000) radio systems.

Otherwise... show a mic/mics, and look at DPA d : facto 4018 for the vocal mic... or fly appropriate transducers from rigging, and keep them out-of-frame.

Lots of ways to skin the cat. Good luck, and Cheers.

HB

Last edited by hbphotoav; 1 week ago at 10:36 PM..
📝 Reply