noise ....mp3 (303.8 KB, 411 views)

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayS ➡️
what's the noise in this recording?

Ray
Triangle coming in early ….someone’s “old fashioned telephone” ring tone on their cell-phone?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Triangle coming in early ….someone’s “old fashioned telephone” ring tone on their cell-phone?

Studer, I hear some artifacts from saturation/distortion on both channels.. doesn't sound like phone interference...it comes on every now and again in this recording i was given to "clean up". !!! I'd love to know what i'm fighting against...

Ray
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayS ➡️
Studer, I hear some artifacts from saturation/distortion on both channels.. doesn't sound like phone interference...it comes on every now and again in this recording i was given to "clean up". !!! I'd love to know what i'm fighting against...

Ray
yes, you're right....I was only listening on a phone the first time, so it was masked by crappy speaker....sounds like modulation distortion, as if the source were FM radio or tape ? Maybe iZotope Rx has a fix in their bag of goodies ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sounds like soft clipping distortion. Probably an overloaded input from an improperly gain staged recording. Izotope de-clipper may help redraw the peaks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic ➡️
Sounds like soft clipping distortion. Probably an overloaded input from an improperly gain staged recording. Izotope de-clipper may help redraw the peaks.
I'm sure you're right Daniel, it has that sort of burbling "limiter working overtime on fast attack/fast release" that's built into many small video cameras, for example.

You're therefore at the mercy of where its 'kick-in threshold' was set for this recording...hopefully it's a relatively rare occurrence ?

For brief events like a tymp hit it may be ok, but for sustained crescendos you'll need to go to town to de-clip ...if its possible

to AGC !
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It is really hard to tell from an MP3 recording as I am hearing the artifacts of the conversion to MP3. FWIW

How about posting the original WAV or AIFF file BEFORE it is made into an MP3???

Last edited by Thomas W. Bethe; 2 weeks ago at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Added a thought
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i've heard somewhat similar artefacts from daws with too many plugins loaded or then from video tapes before/when they got tangled up in the transport mechanism or mp3's with poor encoding/low resolution...
Gear Nut
Thank you everyone for your expert opinions,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
It is really hard to tell from an MP3 recording as I am hearing the artifacts of the conversion to MP3. FWIW

How about posting the original WAV or AIFF file BEFORE it is made into an MP3???
Thomas, that's what I was given (well 5'.30" ) .....

Ray
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️

UPDATE......I've found the original file which of course does not contain any artifacts of this magnitude...

Seems all answers were right ...Poor mp3 encoder following several tempi changes with a less than capable algorithm...curiously , the .wav file tested good for cd quality in "Fake the funk" although it was a 320 kbps mp3. ??!! never had that happen before?? My reaper mp3 encoding for the purpose of the forum, was, as far as I can hear identical to the original "fake" wav.....

Thanks

Ray
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Did your mp3 export process involve samplerate conversion? Sometimes intersample peaks can appear between newly-positioned samples, or intersample peaks can become sample peaks, during samplerate conversion. In that case it wouldn't be the fault of the encoder.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasbin ➡️
Did your mp3 export process involve samplerate conversion? Sometimes intersample peaks can appear between newly-positioned samples, or intersample peaks can become sample peaks, during samplerate conversion. In that case it wouldn't be the fault of the encoder.
No sample rate conversion , it's a straight forward 44.1khz 16 bit commercial cd that was aggressively modified, but it's an interesting analysis of the problem...my understanding of intersample peaks had to do with max limiting (too close to 0 or at 0 ) in the D/A conversion...Upon further investigation I found the peaks absolutely identical in both the original CD version and the mp3 copy.....

Thanks for suggesting .....i guess further investigating is required....

Ray
📝 Reply