my Favourite recorder is still the Nagra VI - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
my Favourite recorder is still the Nagra VI
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
my Favourite recorder is still the Nagra VI

To All,

Nothing important to tell except that over and over again carrying around the Nagra VI with me on each recording gig that it is a "live saver" in addition to computer based recording method.

For example yesterday we were suppose to recorded in a court-yard at a castle in Belgium however due to bad weather forecast we had to move last minute from the court-yard to the church of the castle.

Of course all stands, cables and the mic-preamps, laptop were all set and had to be packed again and moved however due to the time given it was impossible to be ready so I popped out my Nagra VI out rolled out the cable and a single mic stand with DPA4006 and we were good to go.

Nothing more reliable and simple than a dedicated recorder....

Who else is still relying on a dedicated recorder?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 ➑️

I think a lot of people do: sonosax R4+, various Sound Devices recorders, etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I am.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Me too, 788’s.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Always had a Nagra since 68
The VI the loveliest, even though the wheels going round on a IV are very reassuring to this day.
Roger
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Always.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years

Recorded this Trio yesterday with my Sx-R4+ and SX-M2D2.

Last edited by etiefenthaler; 2 weeks ago at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Picture
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

91 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sound Devices 702: final item on home studio 2-bus chain - and ready to travel anywhere anytime.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years

And here last wednesday with same gear.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Here the beloved Nagra VI and Sonosax R4+ and AD8+.

Professionals only need apply.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm still amazed with the sound and versatility of my SD 788T. I like my JoeCo BBR64-Dante for larger jobs.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
for capturing performance recording on the beach in California:
Aaton Cantar X3
Sound Devices Scorpio

Sonosax is crippled in USA
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I feel the same way about my Nagra VI. I have used it so much in the last 6 months for so many different gigs. Live streams, live concerts, sessions. It’s sound quality and reliable execution never fail to impress. And the ergonomics are wonderful.

I have even set it up unattended, or left it with others unfamiliar with it. So simple to use.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➑️
I feel the same way about my Nagra VI. I have used it so much in the last 6 months for so many different gigs. Live streams, live concerts, sessions. It’s sound quality and reliable execution never fail to impress. And the ergonomics are wonderful.

I have even set it up unattended, or left it with others unfamiliar with it. So simple to use.
The Nagra VI is no more in Nagra's catalog ?
Only the Seven survives ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Laptops for today, but SD and JoeCo backups forever.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathieujm ➑️
The Nagra VI is no more in Nagra's catalog ?
Only the Seven survives ?
I got so swept up with this discussion, I hopped on Reverb and lookee what I found!

About This Listing
FOR SALE:

Nagra VI in the coveted RED color--$6000

Nagra VI with all updates--current model in excellent condition.
Brown fabric case is included along with power supply.

Lithium ion battery is in very good condition and holds a charge well.

8 track recorder--6 analog inputs on xlr, 4 digital inputs on AES xlr.

160GB internal drive and also mirror records simultaneously on a card.

Has m/s converter, ambisonic converter.

24 bit up to 192kHz.

World class sound ready to work in your studio, cart or hall.

Can see and test in Chicago.
Call Plush at 773-551-3529 to discuss and buy.

Won't last long here.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Yes I do have a Nagra VI for sale. Fantastic machine. $5500

Needs new battery

I have more than 1 Nagra so this one an extra.

[email protected]
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

"... coveted..."
:-)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I do covet a Nagra VI. It doesn't fit any of the gigs I get anymore so I haven't bought one (am not a collector), but if things change would be way down for one, yes. RE: dedicated recorders, also yes: SD and JoeCo are preferred here, re combo of track count, sound and compatability with available job budgets.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➑️
I do covet a Nagra VI. It doesn't fit any of the gigs I get anymore so I haven't bought one (am not a collector), but if things change would be way down for one, yes. RE: dedicated recorders, also yes: SD and JoeCo are preferred here, re combo of track count, sound and compatability with available job budgets.
My only regret about the Nagra VI is when I pick it up. Its large now for what it does, and since I replaced the first small battery, after nine years!, with the larger one, its quite a bit heavier. And I am getting older.

But that size is what makes the ergonomics so good, one can operate in complete darkness without any problems. A colleague has a MixPre and I just could not use one of those with that tiny touchscreen. Watching him use it and make repeated touches as the first did not register, would drive me nuts. I hate my phone for the same reason.

I am resigned and saddened that companies like Nagra are ceasing to exist and not be able to make these sorts of super quality products that have been carefully engineered and thought out. Economic rationalism and the free market maybe not the best thing for capitalism after all.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ergonomics have always been a Kudelski strongpoint.
The function switch so easy to locate in darkness and confusion, the Maltese cross always a confidence indicator, pity its gone.
During the first days of DAT I had a small Technics recorder that was excellent, but suffered from poor ergonomic design.
To enter record you went through pause first, no big deal but tedious.
We were doing an Attenborough piece with a Smithsonian Woods Hole HOV Alvin, a deep sea rover and a wet end /dry end surface ship.
Sir D was in the plexiglass personnel sphere and had to fire up the recorder when they got to 10,000' below.
It was very humid down there and David could not get the DAT fired up, but went ahead any how ,luckily the video recorder fired up OK and I had safety wired to that too, so the PTC was good.
If only DAT had used Beta cassettes and Sony ergonomics......
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➑️
My only regret about the Nagra VI is when I pick it up. Its large now for what it does, and since I replaced the first small battery, after nine years!, with the larger one, its quite a bit heavier. And I am getting older.

But that size is what makes the ergonomics so good, one can operate in complete darkness without any problems. A colleague has a MixPre and I just could not use one of those with that tiny touchscreen. Watching him use it and make repeated touches as the first did not register, would drive me nuts. I hate my phone for the same reason.

I am resigned and saddened that companies like Nagra are ceasing to exist and not be able to make these sorts of super quality products that have been carefully engineered and thought out. Economic rationalism and the free market maybe not the best thing for capitalism after all.
Hello David,

Nagra VI is not the smallest and/or lightest recorder on the market and had wished it would have had more microphone inputs (12ch or so) that would be great!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hello David,

Nagra VI is not the smallest and/or lightest recorder on the market and had wished it would have had more microphone inputs (12ch or so) that would be great!
Hi Gaston,

Yes I agree. I am preparing to get 4 channels of AES42 to add to my Nagra VI and make it a much more capable and very compact 8 channel recorder and extend its useful life to the max.
πŸ“ Reply