mic selection as a political statement - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mic selection as a political statement
Old 12th June 2021
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
mic selection as a political statement

the upcoming american-russian summit talks in geneva will not only bring another parade of civil servants and secret services, the police and even the military to the city on the rhone...

(compared to other countries, we are a rather less militarised society these days, at least much less so than in times when a large number of poor and uneducated thugs served as mercenaries in most armies of late medieval europe)

...but also a display of one's own technical capabilities, even if it is only at press conferences:

i was asked by both delegations if i could provide their preferred microphones, but in a number that would far exceed the capacities of most distributors and it is not obvious what all the microphones are to be used for, especially since the security services bring their own material anyway and in case of doubt rather ask the broadcasters of their countries as i have observed on the occasion of other high-level talks in the past.

coincidence (or more precisely: my occupation - or even more precisely: my second occupation) means that i am currently able to watch essentially the same circus elsewhere (in the uk or whatever is left of it) - with one small but, for our guild, subtle difference: except for one delegation, everyone seems to be content with the stuff that gets more commonly used around here...

what do we learn from this? in my opinion, two things: firstly, that the choice of microphones can be an eminently political process! and secondly, that the choice of microphones hardly plays a role in terms of sound quality - almost like in our real life (as sound technicians)!
Old 12th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Do high end Russian microphones even exist? And There's only a few American made microphones that I would consider high end anyway, Bob Heil's being the most prominent. Shure's are made in Mexico now, aren't they?
Old 13th June 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Aren't some Octava mics considered respectable, even in the West? Not Schoeps, but not ....

D.
Old 13th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nevaton if available in USA?
Old 13th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd have thought a 'pre-fall of Berlin Wall' Neumann would have been respected enough by both East and West delegates to be approved.

If the Shure SM57 is deemed sufficient for the US presidential announcements it should suffice here ?

I'd expect the secret service personnel would remove the onus of mic selection from you....and present you with the mics to be used 5 mins before showtime....to prevent the (high likelihood of successful fatality) assassination potential of an exploding microphone ? I'm surprised we haven't seen such attempts already...maybe it's the stuff of James Bond movies and Cold War spy novels.
Old 13th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ deedeeyeah – You have a fascinating perspective to offer here. I'd love to hear how everything plays out, at least from whatever you can observe... which I'm sure might be limited for security reasons. But I'm interested in anything you can share as things pan out. I think technological implementation can be an interesting little glimpse into culture, and you'll have quite the culture collision on your hands.

The West has no shortage of quality microphones, of course, thanks to Germany, America, Scandinavia, etc... Russia has Soyuz and Oktava, and I'm curious how companies like Flea, Blue, and JZ fit into the picture. Although I guess Blue is headquartered in the US these days? Regardless, eastern European countries have been making good stuff.

But I suspect, as DDY indicates, that national pride will have a lot more to do than audio performance in all choices made. (Otherwise, wouldn't they just all use Sanken? )
Old 13th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think the world would be a far better place if no politicians were allowed to use any microphones of any kind, anywhere.
Old 13th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Progger ➡️
@ deedeeyeah – You have a fascinating perspective to offer here. I'd love to hear how everything plays out, at least from whatever you can observe... which I'm sure might be limited for security reasons. But I'm interested in anything you can share as things pan out. I think technological implementation can be an interesting little glimpse into culture, and you'll have quite the culture collision on your hands.

The West has no shortage of quality microphones, of course, thanks to Germany, America, Scandinavia, etc... Russia has Soyuz and Oktava, and I'm curious how companies like Flea, Blue, and JZ fit into the picture. Although I guess Blue is headquartered in the US these days? Regardless, eastern European countries have been making good stuff.

But I suspect, as DDY indicates, that national pride will have a lot more to do than audio performance in all choices made. (Otherwise, wouldn't they just all use Sanken? )
i'll describe a few things once the dust has settled... - but yeah, an all sanken setup would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler ➡️
I think the world would be a far better place if no politicians were allowed to use any microphones of any kind, anywhere.
i guess i can understand your frustration with politics - and yet: politics - at least the way i understand them (i studied political and military science) - are the predominat procedure how people are trying to get their societies organized; some societies obviously (or just seemingly?) a bit more successful than others - trouble is that the assessment of what constitutes success (or failure) can vary a lot...

___

[not sure how much politics can actually or should be negotiated here but i hope a very general assessment will be allowed: imho politics should be designed in such a way that its decisions are supported by a (clear) majority of the population - however, how far we have moved away from this in many places and with regard to a variety of issues can be used as a yardstick to assess the state, if not of politics as a whole then at least of its form of organisation, its acceptance, thus legitimisation and ultimately its success.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
I'd have thought a 'pre-fall of Berlin Wall' Neumann would have been respected enough by both East and West delegates to be approved.

If the Shure SM57 is deemed sufficient for the US presidential announcements it should suffice here ?

I'd expect the secret service personnel would remove the onus of mic selection from you....and present you with the mics to be used 5 mins before showtime....to prevent the (high likelihood of successful fatality) assassination potential of an exploding microphone ? I'm surprised we haven't seen such attempts already...maybe it's the stuff of James Bond movies and Cold War spy novels.
your imaginary james-bond scenario isn't that far from reality - more on this later...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 13th June 2021 at 11:53 AM.. Reason: edited [...]
Old 13th June 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Use any old mic and just put that waves plugin on it - "The king's microphones". All will be well.
Old 13th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had discussions several years ago with a few of my SR pals from the DC area about similar mic preferences for official events. In those cases considerable financial perquisites were involved much like the underbelly of mic choices for many of our big network productions in the past. When I think thru the situation deedeeyeah describes, I become very thankful for the simple world of rural American SR work that I enjoy.
Hugh
Old 13th June 2021
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The President of the United States will only speak into a Shure microphone. Made in Niles, Illinois.
Old 13th June 2021
Shure SM 57's have been made in Juarez, Mexico since the early 1990's.

Biden prefers Mexican made microphones.
Putin will probably use the mics Kim Jong Un prefers, at least 7 of them.
Old 13th June 2021
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
BSA. Might be a bit over the top but at least it's politically neutral
Old 13th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge ➡️
No. The President's microphones are custom made in Niles, IL. 1 mile from my house. I have seen them there.
Old 13th June 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Need a microphone with a built in BS limiter.
Old 14th June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
The President of the United States will only speak into a Shure microphone. Made in Niles, Illinois.
Always reminds me of this (and these beauties)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler ➡️
Then how would their corporate masters ever get anything done!?!?
Old 14th June 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I assume it's almost exclusively about leaders backing their own industries. Like you only see politicians being driven in their country's automobiles.
Any UK microphone manufacturer would LOVE to see our leaders use their products exclusively. Great publicity and a seal of approval.

And yes, mic choice definitely does impact the sound.
Old 14th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'll also bring up Winston Churchill gave his "Iron Curtain" speech on Western Electric dynamics in my home state of Missouri. True he was between PM-ships at the time but still noteworthy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➡️
Any UK microphone manufacturer would LOVE to see our leaders use their products exclusively. Great publicity and a seal of approval.
That reminds me, do any of the microphone companies have a monarch/royalty seal? It's always tedious and laughable to see that on products but now it makes me wonder.
Old 14th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What about the rest of the PA chain ? Sure, a leader’s mic is going to lend some consistent ‘character’ …but the way that’s conveyed to an assembled audience or even fed away as line level signal is going to be dependent on the acoustic space, preamp gain, speakers, EQ, operator skill, plosive control etc. A bad mix or poor gain staging can cast a dark cloud over the best mic choice.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I assume it's almost exclusively about leaders backing their own industries. Like you only see politicians being driven in their country's automobiles.

And yes, mic choice definitely does impact the sound.
the car analogy is correct (they sometimes even fly cars in...) but i think you're overestimating both the effect of the publicy and the sound in terms of mic choice.
Old 14th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Joe Bidens flown in Cadillac was far too big for Cornish lanes at the G7, he had to transfer to a Suburban from the Secret Service.
The Caddy could not turn if front of No10 Downing St when Obama Visited...
Slow learning curve.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
What about the rest of the PA chain ? Sure, a leader’s mic is going to lend some consistent ‘character’ …but the way that’s conveyed to an assembled audience or even fed away as line level signal is going to be dependent on the acoustic space, preamp gain, speakers, EQ, operator skill, plosive control etc. A bad mix or poor gain staging can cast a dark cloud over the best mic choice.
absolutely! there is no 'best' mic per se and no 'best selction' if it doesn't take into account the circumstances which in these cases are defined by the size and acoustic behaviour of the rooms, the noise floor - mainly from 'audience' and a bit from the gear - but mostly by the amplification and only to a very minor degree by the source; the mic's position relative to the pa is much more crucial (which doeasn't seem to bother the security personel though...)
Old 14th June 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I once did a drum session and before the producer arrived me and the engineer set up the 'usual suspect' mics (57, 421, U87, AKG 414 etc, etc) and got a pretty good starter drum sound going.
When the producer arrived he was furious and had us change every mic, usually mics I'd never seen used on my drums before.
The end drum sound was $hit, and the album production (when it was done) was crappy, featuring a very odd, thin drum sound throughout.
There DEFINITELY ARE some mics that are better for some things than others.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
mainly from 'audience' and a bit from the gear - but mostly by the amplification and only to a very minor degree by the source
Every time you argue about a piece of gear it turns out you only see it from a live sound perspective.
Live sound is VERY different from studio.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Every time you argue about a piece of gear it turns out you only see it from a live sound perspective.
Live sound is VERY different from studio.
no doubt live sound (in some ways) is different and my more frequent mention of concerts is due to the fact that i have mixed about 10 times more concerts than albums; however, i use the same gear live as in the studio, only the relation between dynamic and condenser mics varies a bit - yes, i even drag out some tube ldc's to stages occasionally and use dynamic mics on some sources when recording classical music (on purpose, not that i couldn't afford more expensive mics).

___

what bugs me is your repeated attribution of specific qualities to certain gear and the untenable claim that it makes a big difference:

of course a tube ldc most likely picks up sound in a bit a different way than a ribbon mic but when you're comparing say several high-quality sdc's from various manufactureres, just upon hearing the results and without being given tons of context, no one in the world can tell what mic was used...

...but maybe I'm wrong and you can actually you can tell the type of cell phone when someone calls you up?!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
off-topic but by far the best quote i heard at g7 (from a hi-level security officer who's responsible for most things audio for his delegation):

Quote:
'there's a fine line between gain-of-function and function-of-gain research'
strange only this was at the g7 and not at the nato summit...

ваш командир

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 14th June 2021 at 11:57 AM..
Old 17th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What happened at the Biden/Putin press conference deedee?
It looked chaotic.
Old 17th June 2021
Any mic cable will pass hot air easily.
📝 Reply