Quantcast
Name the mics used on this operatic bass/piano - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Name the mics used on this operatic bass/piano
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

Name the mics used on this operatic bass/piano

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE-OG-sEQ-k

^^ Nice recording or David Leigh, a Bass with a unique voice, performing "Poor Wayfarin' Stranger' with a nice piano. But, does anyone recognize those mics in A/B chest-height 8 feet out?
Old 5 days ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessitura ➡️
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xE-OG-sEQ-k

^^ Nice recording or David Leigh, a Bass with a unique voice, performing "Poor Wayfarin' Stranger' with a nice piano. But, does anyone recognize those mics in A/B chest-height 8 feet out?
Looks like a pair of AKG C414 to me....
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motell ➡️
Looks like a pair of AKG C414 to me....
When I saw your comment I thought "no way"---where's the gold front grille and the two little green LED lights on the back---but you might be right, and those may just be obscured by the camera angle/resolution. It doesn't 'sound' like the newer 414's to me, but that could be EQ or my ears. If they are new 414 (XLS probably?), then it's the first classical voice recording made with them that I haven't disliked.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessitura ➡️
When I saw your comment I thought "no way"---where's the gold front grille and the two little green LED lights on the back---but you might be right, and those may just be obscured by the camera angle/resolution. It doesn't 'sound' like the newer 414's to me, but that could be EQ or my ears. If they are new 414 (XLS probably?), then it's the first classical voice recording made with them that I haven't disliked.
I´m with you here, those newer 414s, I never found an application (except maybe on concert guitars) where I liked them, at least not compared to other LDCs. But I´m positive the ones in the video are C414s, also because of the very unique looking shockmounts...
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motell ➡️
I´m with you here, those newer 414s, I never found an application (except maybe on concert guitars) where I liked them, at least not compared to other LDCs. But I´m positive the ones in the video are C414s, also because of the very unique looking shockmounts...
They might also be the more rounded-shouldered C314... no lights, just switches.

HB
Attached Thumbnails
Name the mics used on this operatic bass/piano-c314.jpeg  
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbphotoav ➡️
They might also be the more rounded-shouldered C314... no lights, just switches.

HB
Oh yes, you´re right. Or maybe even C214s, they´re just cardioids, without any switchable polar patterns...
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
They are LDC to be sure.
📝 Reply