Quantcast
Faulkner phased array with fig 8's; parallel or angled 90* ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Faulkner phased array with fig 8's; parallel or angled 90* ?
Old 6th June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Faulkner phased array with fig 8's; parallel or angled 90* ?

Discounting for the moment the (probably more famous) Tony Faulkner 2 mic pairs on a single bar phased array...his earliest employment of the term was in the context of a pair of fig 8 mics both facing forward and parallel, and spaced about 8"/20cms

Jürg Jecklin, in a paper written while he was teaching at Vienna University of Music and Performing Arts, described a variant of this (bearing Faulkner's name in the title) using a pair of fig 8's in NOS configuration, rather than closely spaced in parallel.

It's shown, with ilustration (Bild 92) to remove any ambiguity, on pages 28/29 here >> https://www.mdw.ac.at/upload/MDWeb/d...lin-Scheibe%29

The translation runs thus: Faulkner and Blumlein
"In front of the sound body are two microphones with
Figure eight characteristic set up with a mutual distance of approx. 30 cm. Since the directional characteristic of a figure-of-eight microphone is fairly independent of frequency, the depth image becomes one
large ensemble correctly recorded. The
The stereo signal of this arrangement contains the correct aurally correct angle-dependent transit time, phase and intensity differences.
Recordings with this arrangement tend to focus on the center of the image. The configuration is suitable
is also suitable for recordings in rooms that are too reverberant. It is the classic two-microphone arrangement for ribbon microphones"

I'd certainly take issue with the final sentence ! Has anybody here used a pair of fig 8's in NOS configuration....any comments on its usefulness in this mode ? It would seem that the out of phase components from the rear of the capsules would mix/blend, rather than maintain discrete separation, as per a coincident Blumlein pair ?

In addition....on page 30 of the same document, he describes (again with an illustration Bild 97) the "Madson Shadow"....using an angled pair of fig 8 mics separated by a Jecklin Disc type of baffle.

Described translation: "Two microphones with figure-eight directional characteristics
are with an opening angle of 90 degrees and one
mutual distance of 30 cm to 50 cm in front of the
Sound body arranged. Additionally are the microphones
acoustically separated by a partition plate (diameter
the partition plate around 50 cm). Thereby differ
the signals of the two channels additionally through angle-dependent frequency response differences"
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I've done this with hypercardioids (w/o baffle) and sounded terrific; technically the room reflections from the back would be flopped L/R, but how could you tell, it being such a diffused source? Specifically, I was using them as center pair in the Faulkner 4-mic Phased Array. I e-mailed TF first to see if thought the antiphase rear lobes would be a problem in this context and he said, not at all. The room I was in had too much side reflection, so this kept that way down and still picked up way more reflections from the back than a card pair would.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…