Blending voice from small box with voice in a room - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blending voice from small box with voice in a room
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Blending voice from small box with voice in a room

Gear Spacers,

It's about mixing technique. Lots of stems are sent by home recording singers and musicians. Now the task is to blen a medium loud singing recording voice in a small v/o booth with a full volume singer in a studio and or 'normal' room.

What are the techniques to get them in the same room. (Do I need to excite the softer singer, place him nearer or further, wich tools....)

It's a returning issue. Thanks for shedding any light!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
here's what i do:

- on tracks with too much ambient sound (almost regardless of room size), i'm using an expander, sometimes a multiband expander.

- tracks then get eq'ed and level-matched and dynamic processing applied as/if needed; only then i start adding efx.

- i'm using up to four different efx devices (on different settings to add whatever is needed to match tracks in terms of ambient sound): efx1 mimicks early reflections and creates width (and hence gets used in a mono in/stereo out configuration). efx2 is on a medium room setting, efx3 on a hall setting, efx4 is either a delay or some sort of modulation (and hence mostly for depth) - short: i'm often blending different efx and less often let one algorithm do all the work (but i very rarely send efx to efx or more precisely, reverb to reverb).

no hints on plugins as i'm using all hardware efx devices from quantec, tc, lexicon, eventide, sony, yamaha.
Old 1 week ago
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
Hey there, Hanuman!

It's all about the mixing technique. Before we get any further with this discussion, I would like to clarify your "stems" description. I trust you actually mean to say, multitracks, audio tracks or individual tracks, and not stems.

You see, stems are stereo recordings sourced from mixes of multiple individual tracks.

There's a few different ways to approach this mix session, and it depends on what the various tracks actually sound like.

I would first listen to all the tracks and make a decision on which vocal tracks sound the best. Then, I would process the remaining tracks to sound as close to the tracks I want to mirror in sound. That being said, it all depends on how the how the song is arranged, and where the parts are within the arrangement of the song.

deedeeyeah made some excellent suggestions, which is a great starting point for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanuman ➡️
Gear Spacers,

It's about mixing technique. Lots of stems are sent by home recording singers and musicians. Now the task is to blen a medium loud singing recording voice in a small v/o booth with a full volume singer in a studio and or 'normal' room.

What are the techniques to get them in the same room. (Do I need to excite the softer singer, place him nearer or further, wich tools....)

It's a returning issue. Thanks for shedding any light!
📝 Reply