Quantcast
Panning SSA choir, piano and string quartet - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Panning SSA choir, piano and string quartet
Old 5th June 2021
Gear Head

Panning SSA choir, piano and string quartet

Hi! I got this contemporary classical recording that im trying to mix in Logic. It has 6 tracks of choir (SSA), the piano track and 4 for the string quartet. They were all recorded separately in studio. How should I pan them? Any ideas? I was planning adding quite a lot of reverb to the choir to "send" it to the bottom.

I'm open to any suggestions as I am a complete amateur and the piece I'm mixing is mine (no charging for this!) . Thank you so much!
Old 5th June 2021
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i suggest you're using appropriate amounts of (different) reverbs for all sources and go with a panorama setting which mimicks the position of all musicians as if they would have performed in a concert (or were recorded together in a large room/hall).
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by elacarcel ➡️
Hi! I got this contemporary classical recording that im trying to mix in Logic. It has 6 tracks of choir (SSA), the piano track and 4 for the string quartet. They were all recorded separately in studio. How should I pan them? Any ideas? I was planning adding quite a lot of reverb to the choir to "send" it to the bottom.

I'm open to any suggestions as I am a complete amateur and the piece I'm mixing is mine (no charging for this!) . Thank you so much!
Hi! I understand the thread is old enough. But nevertheless, where are you end up? SATB choir voices are set from left to right from Sopranos to Basses. The width of the panorama depends on the number of singers. Try different panning for the piano to achieve beautiful cohesion with the choir sound. "Sending choir sound to the bottom" usually means an imbalance of voices. I often record soprano alto female choir and prefer that the music was bass-heavy, especially in the low mid range. Below is an example of such a "virtual" choir recorded in the studio with music done from the midi. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vhhZbivYag
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…