Quantcast
AVB to DANTE and back? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AVB to DANTE and back?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AVB to DANTE and back?

What's the best way to feed and get feeds from a Dante setup to an interface that has AVB (yes, MOTU)? I saw that Presonus makes a box that purports to do this for about $600, which I would gladly rent but have no intention of buying. Is there any other way to do this? Or is it such a terrible idea that no one makes a tool or app to do it? Does anyone know of a rental house that rents a format conversion box to do this? thanks
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Well two things. One, it's cool that someone is making an AVB to Dante bridge. Two, it a Presonus product which means I would never buy it ever. Just my experience with Presonus.

At $600, in the world of networked audio, that's actually pretty reasonable. Didn't look at the channel count but if it's more than two, Audinate charges a pretty big fee for a multi-channel Dante board.

And three, where is the Ravenna to Dante bridge which I might but pretty quickly if it gave me access to the Hapi/Horus line?

There may be a way to do it using AES67; some Dante products allow that. Don't know about MOTU. I do know that my experiments with AES 67 and Dante/Ravenna worked but were not user friendly and not intuitive, and mostly didn't work well enough for me to consider that choice.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➡️
What's the best way to feed and get feeds from a Dante setup to an interface that has AVB (yes, MOTU)? I saw that Presonus makes a box that purports to do this for about $600, which I would gladly rent but have no intention of buying. Is there any other way to do this? Or is it such a terrible idea that no one makes a tool or app to do it? Does anyone know of a rental house that rents a format conversion box to do this? thanks
Honestly, the best way is to interconnect the two via analog outputs. Dante to AVB isn't supposed to work without some pretty serious networking shenanigans. The two are nearly incompatible. Plus you need specific AVB enabled switches to run AVB.

What actual pieces of gear are you trying to connect?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler ➡️
Honestly, the best way is to interconnect the two via analog outputs. Dante to AVB isn't supposed to work without some pretty serious networking shenanigans. The two are nearly incompatible. Plus you need specific AVB enabled switches to run AVB.

What actual pieces of gear are you trying to connect?
I needed a MOTU box for reasons other than networking, which hasn't come up much for me so far. (MOTU is the only interface I've found that does what it does re: timecode.) But I often work in an all-Dante venue, so I was looking ahead to solving the issue for that place. This venue is very resistant to doing any analog distro post their Dante install. I can dig why they are being like that, but I may need to do what the MOTU box does and feed multichannel audio to the house from a position that doesn't have any analog connections, only Dante... Maybe this will never be an issue but my stomach tells me it will eventually. It might be easier from a short-term rental point of view to just rent an analog>Dante box and, as you said, just come out of the MOTU analog. Bummer that these protocols are so incompato.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper ➡️
This venue is very resistant to doing any analog
That seems pretty silly. Dante isn't a replacement for all situations. If a guest artist comes in, you don't patch their network cable into Dante... you plug their analog into to your Dante stagebox. Similar idea here.

Truthfully: I would buy a Yamaha Tio, plus a small fan-to-fan, and call it a day. Or if the channel count is low, a handful of those Audinate AVIO Dante 2 Channel Analog Input/Output Adapters.

Alternatively: here's a loose list of things that do work, with less "analog" (in loose order, of more channels / most expensive to least:

-Focusrite D64R -> MADI -> MOTU M64 or 112D

-Digiface Dante -> MADI -> MOTU M64 or 112D

-That lil' Presonus Box.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Madi or aes seem to be sensible bridges betweens those formats.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
AES67 (my experience is with Dante to/from Ravenna) does work but it is extremely clunky. I wouldn't count on in for any for the most stable venue situations where the engineer will have lots of time to iron out the bugs and test for stability.

D.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I've looked into this a little bit, and started writing an experimental software AES67 to AVB bridge. The only commercial options I know of are:

Note the Presonus box won't do 96k on the AVB side. The first two options are likely to be expensive. AVB also has a more complicated interoperability matrix than Dante, as there are different stream formats (MOTU uses AM824, Avid S6L uses AAF, RME supports both from memory).

Good luck!
📝 Reply