Quantcast
3-dimensional mic array visualization - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
3-dimensional mic array visualization
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

3-dimensional mic array visualization

I've had an ongoing personal research project for some time now, experimenting with various somewhat unconventional microphone array designs. As a natural outgrowth of this, I have been wanting more recently to better visualize the directivity and behavior of multi-microphone arrays in specifically 3-dimensional space.

I'm well aware of some of the useful tools which can assist with this in 2 dimensions, and the various static images which give a sense of the various first-order pattern directivities in 3 dimensions. Obviously things become considerably more complex when taking into account the combined pickup of multiple non-coincident transducers with a time delay, etc.

Through my work, I am able to access MatLab, whose antenna-array modules give some tools which seem broadly usable for this sort of thing with some tweaking, but before taking the plunge into properly learning that programming environment, I wanted to ask from anyone here who has experience with these sort of technical computing and simulation tasks:

Is there a better tool for this than MatLab?

Are there any libraries (perhaps Python-based) specifically designed for microphone simulation tasks of this kind?

I realize this is a bit of an obscure one... many thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I suggest you contact Hyunkook Lee at the University of Huddersfield. He may have already done this.
He is a researcher and expert in immersive 3D Microphone arrays and has spoken at and demo’ed his 3D recordings at several AES Conventions.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefront ➡️
Is there a better tool for this than MatLab?
Matlab will do the job but it is a poorly designed program. The UI and scripting are terrible. All the other popular math programs are weak as well. MathCAD, Mathematica, Maple are all very convoluted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefront ➡️
Are there any libraries (perhaps Python-based) specifically designed for microphone simulation tasks of this kind?
Matplotlib is good for visualization.You will also need a good LA lib like Scipi. I think both of these are built in to Anaconda 4?? which is free. Python is going to be more powerful than Matlab. I prefer Visual Studio C++ and OpenGL for visualization. Along with a library like Eigen and CGAL you should be able to visualize and model anything for free. Matlab is very expensive and they nickel and dime you on modules. The generic version of Matlab may not be powerful enough to do what you want without purchasing addons from then.

Can you give us a more in depth idea of what you are doing?? "Visualization" is pretty generic term. Will you be doing vector analysis and/or tensors? If you are just going to visualize 3D models, you can just use Blender or something like Unreal Engine and use their internal scripting engines to visualize.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie ➡️
I suggest you contact Hyunkook Lee at the University of Huddersfield. He may have already done this.
He is a researcher and expert in immersive 3D Microphone arrays and has spoken at and demo’ed his 3D recordings at several AES Conventions.
Ah, good suggestion, thank you! I remember reading some of his papers in the AES journal quite a while ago, and I expect you are right that he may have some recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeraz ➡️
Can you give us a more in depth idea of what you are doing?? "Visualization" is pretty generic term. Will you be doing vector analysis and/or tensors? If you are just going to visualize 3D models, you can just use Blender or something like Unreal Engine and use their internal scripting engines to visualize.
Much appreciate your thoughtful response! Yes, the frustration factor with MatLab has largely been what has prevented me from going further down that route, so I'm glad to learn of some of these alternatives.

In a nutshell, my grasp of higher mathematics in a practical sense is not strong enough that I'm planning to do extensive analysis or offering theoretical proofs, etc. My interest in this project is to accurately visualize, and therefore to better understand, acoustic parameters which I am already hearing empirically in my tests. Ideally I would like to build these visualizations as relatively simple (yet accurate) renderings of multi-element arrays in 3D space, where parameters can be changed so that the visualization reflects different microphone directivities, relative amplitudes, and timing differences due to spacing. But, ultimately a rendering somewhat like the attached antenna directivity plot from MatLab is more or less what I'm after.
Attached Thumbnails
3-dimensional mic array visualization-sample.jpg  
📝 Reply