Quantcast
two different mic for choir recording - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
two different mic for choir recording
Old 2 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Head
 
two different mic for choir recording

I am going to recording a small group of choir very soon(3male and 3female)
I have two mic,one is u87 and another is earthwork qtc30(i used to have a pair,but i lost one )
I am wondering is there any way i can set up these two mic to work in this situation.
Any help would be great !
Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
You could use them in middle and side mode with the U87 in fig 8 pattern for L&R and the earthwork omni as the forward facing mic.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #3
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton ➡️
You could use them in middle and side mode with the U87 in fig 8 pattern for L&R and the earthwork omni as the forward facing mic.
thanks man~
should i put two mic in parallel lines?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
There is some information here, and pictures too, which will be helpful. You would be using an omni as the centre microphone rather than a cardiod mic as described here.

https://www.uaudio.com/blog/mid-side-mic-recording/

There are a number of sites with information, so you will need to read, and probably re-read those, depending on how you will be recording MS. You can alter the image after recording in post production, or you can do it at the time you are recording, and go straight to stereo.
Going to stereo after the recording, in post production, means you can fiddle and make mistakes on your own with no one watching!!

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...ides-recording
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #5
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton ➡️
There is some information here, and pictures too, which will be helpful. You would be using an omni as the centre microphone rather than a cardiod mic as described here.

https://www.uaudio.com/blog/mid-side-mic-recording/

There are a number of sites with information, so you will need to read, and probably re-read those, depending on how you will be recording MS. You can alter the image after recording in post production, or you can do it at the time you are recording, and go straight to stereo.
Going to stereo after the recording, in post production, means you can fiddle and make mistakes on your own with no one watching!!

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniq...ides-recording
thanks a lot ,just check on the info,i think i got the answer,before this i never really looking into area.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #6
Lives for gear
 
kludgeaudio's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotahai ➡️
I am going to recording a small group of choir very soon(3male and 3female)
I have two mic,one is u87 and another is earthwork qtc30(i used to have a pair,but i lost one )
I am wondering is there any way i can set up these two mic to work in this situation.
Any help would be great !
Thanks!
What is the room like, and what is the choir for?

Is this something you're going to do several overdubs with in order to make it into a big choir? Or is it an intimate jazz thing a la Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross? Is this part of a big dense mix or is it going to be all alone?
--scott
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #7
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio ➡️
What is the room like, and what is the choir for?

Is this something you're going to do several overdubs with in order to make it into a big choir? Or is it an intimate jazz thing a la Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross? Is this part of a big dense mix or is it going to be all alone?
--scott
My tracking room is 20 square metres,well treated.
The choir is going to be a part of the song, dont know if they need to do overdubs,if they do ,any suggestions?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
kludgeaudio's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotahai ➡️
My tracking room is 20 square metres,well treated.
The choir is going to be a part of the song, dont know if they need to do overdubs,if they do ,any suggestions?
Okay, so it's part of a more complex song and you've got a tiny dead room. Are they going to be singing along with an existing track or singing to click or are you going to try and fly the tracks in wild?

What does the song sound like? Is this a dense mix where you need the choir to cut through and be up front, or is this for backing vocals?

Normally I'd suggest miking the room instead of the performers, but maybe not if you only have that much room to deal with. Omnis may be your friend here.
--scott
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 60 views: 18399
Avatar for dibravibra
dibravibra 19th October 2020
replies: 6348 views: 801712
Avatar for MandoBastardo
MandoBastardo 5 days ago
replies: 28764 views: 3046811
Avatar for dasoundjunkie
dasoundjunkie 1 day ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump