Quantcast
anyone working with live orchestras ..in a pit? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
anyone working with live orchestras ..in a pit?
Old 2 weeks ago
anyone working with live orchestras ..in a pit?

I just got our next season's schedule..and it's no more rosy than this year's...no orchestra in pits or singers on stage till at the very least jan 2022 maybe sept 2022.....tours are still being cancelled postponed or scheduled "tentatively". You'd think with 2 shots of the vaccines we'd be ok...Anyone 's life returned to normal with Ballets and Operas ???

Ray
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I haven't seen an official schedule or season list yet for our local arts groups. But I know that they are all planning to have a normal season starting in September. What those shows look like and whether that schedule will change or not is completely up in the air.

Tours are going to be a **** show this year. Mine won't start until February 2022 (that's a 23 month long shutdown, for those keeping score). And I've talked to several Broadway producers and they are all fielding half as many shows next year. So there will be fewer shows on the road, with fewer jobs available and at lower pay rates. With half the number of shows out, many cities are going to have fewer shows in their Broadway series, and those shows may stay for less time as producers try to sus out whether the audiences will be able to make them profitable or not with all the extra virus protocols.

I don't think we'll return to normalcy until closer to 2025.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler ➑️

I don't think we'll return to normalcy until closer to 2025.
OUCH!!!

Ray
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
depends on how politics in your country/area handles the pandemic and how the public reacts - around here, most cultural activities are back to 'normal' with only minor restrictions still being in place (mostly in terms of audience capacity) and except that there are less international artists to be found...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 05:38 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
No word here from either the opera or the ballet about upcoming live performance (with a pit orchestra).

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I have a performance in Vienna Theater an der Wien end of June, with full orchestra in the pit, full choir and soloists (no masks) on stage, and half of the hall filled with people. All tested several times of course, but the rest is as close to normal as currently possible.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I just finished 2 weeks of recording sessions/TV shoots in Dallas with full orchestra in the "Wagner" pit and singers on stage. It all depends on the testing regime that the organization has in place. We were tested daily and had to arrive 3 days early so we could have 3 negative PCR tests before we could step foot in the hall. Vaccinated or not, everybody is required to test daily.
All the best,
Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpdonahue ➑️
I just finished 2 weeks of recording sessions/TV shoots in Dallas with full orchestra in the "Wagner" pit and singers on stage. It all depends on the testing regime that the organization has in place. We were tested daily and had to arrive 3 days early so we could have 3 negative PCR tests before we could step foot in the hall. Vaccinated or not, everybody is required to test daily.
All the best,
Mark
Not the first posting i've seen that uses testing as a means to return to "normalcy". Here in Montreal we're kinda stuck with the provincial health guidance rules.....Companies of course would love to get back to full performance level but those government regulations only allow for so many patrons in the venue, which so far is simply not enough to fill the coffers....

Mark , who's in charge of testing?

Ray
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayS ➑️
Mark , who's in charge of testing?
Ray
Ray,
The U of T Medical Center did cohort testing on all the swabs daily. Each night we would receive an email that gave us our individual go/no go test results, which let us in the building the next day.
I was there for 14 days and got 15 swabs.
All the best,
Mark
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ray,
The U of T Medical Center did cohort testing on all the swabs daily. Each night we would receive an email that gave us our individual go/no go test results, which let us in the building the next day.
I was there for 14 days and got 15 swabs.
All the best,
Mark
And what would have happened if you had tested positive? Did you bring a qualified alternate with you to sub in if you tested positive? Would you have had to stay quarantined in your hotel room for two weeks before returning home?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
^would also ask if you and everyone else were required to follow some kind of isolation routine in addition to testing negative each of the 14 days?
Lives for gear

Quote:
And what would have happened if you had tested positive? Did you bring a qualified alternate with you to sub in if you tested positive? Would you have had to stay quarantined in your hotel room for two weeks before returning home?
Fortunately me and all my co-workers are fully vaccinated and follow all the appropriate guidance WRT COVID safety. Masking at all times, avoiding public gatherings, etc... We had kitchens in our hotel and cooked/ate in the room.
The issue of what would happen if one of us were to test positive is the same as anybody else in the production. Anybody that had been in close contact with an infected person for more than the allotted time would have to quarantine for a minimum of 7 days and start the testing regime all over. Fundamentally a single positive will shut the production down as both the producer and I were in close contact with the vast majority of the orchestra and soloists and crew. You have to trust that people will do the right thing and stay safe, or the entire thing goes down the tubes and nobody works. (This was the first real work for both the orchestra and the local IATSE in over a year) Nobody wants to be that guy. You wonder why Tom Cruise lost his mind at the crew that were not taking the rules seriously. One positive and the whole thing comes crashing down and 200+ people are out of work.
All the best,
Mark
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The gigs I am doing now all require everybody being fully vaccinated, yet still with masks on.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Fortunately me and all my co-workers are fully vaccinated and follow all the appropriate guidance WRT COVID safety. Masking at all times, avoiding public gatherings, etc... We had kitchens in our hotel and cooked/ate in the room.

(This was the first real work for both the orchestra and the local IATSE in over a year) Nobody wants to be that guy. You wonder why Tom Cruise lost his mind at the crew that were not taking the rules seriously. One positive and the whole thing comes crashing down and 200+ people are out of work.
It's interesting to see the disparity of "regulations" across the country and in different states. Just up the road from you in Tulsa this week, I'm doing a show with my local symphony and Jazz at Lincoln Center. They are doing their Essentially Ellington contest from Tulsa since they are also debuting Wynton's Symphony No. 1 "All Rise" for Orchestra and Jazz Band with the Tulsa Symphony as part of the 100th anniversary of the Tulsa Race Massacre.

The TSO has done away with their testing and physical distancing requirements since everyone in the orchestra is now fully vaccinated.

But, our IA local has been doing a few shows here and there all through the shutdown. We had the first ever event of more than 1,000 people outside at the ball park with the Symphony back in September. They've done four recording sessions, plus a live TV broadcast holiday show in December. The Opera did a live concert with audience and did not require testing prior to the concert as long as you were fully vaccinated. And the Ballet has done a couple of small shows, including a few weeks ago with several hundred people in a ball room as a fundraising dinner where they raised more than $1.2 million.

There has definitely been way less work locally, and we're all still hurting. But our local has faired better than many. It seems many arts groups just completely gave up and didn't want to even try to work within the different regulations or find a way to even present their art remotely. I've had at least one gig a month since August (except for December and January).

The question of what will happen if I go back out on tour and one of our crew members gets sick and we've all shared the same tiny space on the bus for an over night jump is still unanswered and weighs heavily on my decision of whether to go back out or not. (Un?)Fortunately my tour won't be going back out until February, so who knows what's going to happen between now and then?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
things get handled way less strict over here (switzerland) which is why i could keep working for the most part of the last 15 months.

general policy here is that once the people who want it have been vaccinated (i'll get my second shot literally in a few hours), most any restrictions such as limited audience capacity will get reduced if not cancelled (besides wearing masks i assume).

currently, if you either have recovered, got vaccinated or tested negative, there's no reason why things cannot proceed. of course everyone is asked to behave in a responsible way (which hasn't been always the case and i did experience that projects got cancelled, postponed or reduced) but generally speaking, we fared pretty well (not only regarding the preservation of our political tradition and opportunities for participation but also) in the field of the arts and from a psychological and economic point of view: regarding the latter, we did quite bit better than all neighbouring countries (which had all taken stricter measures and kept them up for much longer).

anyway, let me quote gs member fletcher: 'stay positive, test negative!'

p.s. i do not question the usefulness of protective measures but i'm wondering whether a strict approach is sustainable, for how long and at what costs? no way on earth it can get practiced in less rich countries/societies (and amongst younger people) or we risk even more political and social upheaval...

i would also like to mention that i was attacked on this platform for my rather liberal attitude quite often (and rather heavily) - as things start looking better in many places (thx to whatever reasons), i wish we can go back to a more relaxed discussion and focus more on content and form of our craft rather than circumstances!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 10:19 AM.. Reason: p.s. edited twice
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
It's interesting to see the disparity of "regulations" across the country and in different states. Just up the road from you in Tulsa this week, I'm doing a show with my local symphony and Jazz at Lincoln Center. They are doing their Essentially Ellington contest from Tulsa since they are also debuting Wynton's Symphony No. 1 "All Rise" for Orchestra and Jazz Band with the Tulsa Symphony as part of the 100th anniversary of the Tulsa Race Massacre.

The TSO has done away with their testing and physical distancing requirements since everyone in the orchestra is now fully vaccinated.

But, our IA local has been doing a few shows here and there all through the shutdown. We had the first ever event of more than 1,000 people outside at the ball park with the Symphony back in September. They've done four recording sessions, plus a live TV broadcast holiday show in December. The Opera did a live concert with audience and did not require testing prior to the concert as long as you were fully vaccinated. And the Ballet has done a couple of small shows, including a few weeks ago with several hundred people in a ball room as a fundraising dinner where they raised more than $1.2 million.

There has definitely been way less work locally, and we're all still hurting. But our local has faired better than many. It seems many arts groups just completely gave up and didn't want to even try to work within the different regulations or find a way to even present their art remotely. I've had at least one gig a month since August (except for December and January).

The question of what will happen if I go back out on tour and one of our crew members gets sick and we've all shared the same tiny space on the bus for an over night jump is still unanswered and weighs heavily on my decision of whether to go back out or not. (Un?)Fortunately my tour won't be going back out until February, so who knows what's going to happen between now and then?
The case numbers or hopefully lack thereof before Feb should answer your questions. If all the crew members are up to date on their vax in Feb, I'd tend to think the risks have gone down dramatically. Remains to be seen if booster shots will be necessary.
πŸ“ Reply