Quantcast
Interesting live mixed chamber recording - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Interesting live mixed chamber recording
Old 3 weeks ago
Interesting live mixed chamber recording

Hello, all!

I love finding YouTube videos with live performances where you can actually see the recording process, and so here's the newest one I found. Lots of no-nonsense but effective stuff here, including what looks like a combination of a ribbon spot plus stereo near-coincident pair on Braxton himself. The only thing I don't like as much is the tuba mic--having the RE20 up above the instrument like that works fine for typical jazz stuff, but for something more chamber-like I would much rather see something like a ribbon or LDC. Then again, I am super picky on tuba miking--it is my instrument after all! I might have to get the recording, I'd love to hear the 5.1 mix of these performances.

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Not to contradict, but I found a passage in Richard King's book on recording classical ensembles amusing, where after carefully explaining the rationale of his spot mic choices on other brass, upon reaching the tuba he suggests that one be satisfied with using "whatever mic is left."
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In this case, I suspect Mr. King might recommend putting "whatever mic is left" on the accordion.

My son plays tuba. I have tried a lot of different mics, from the 57 wrapped in a hand towel and dropped down the bell (suggested by Allan Jaffe) to LDC and ribbon mics. What works for me is one of those Shure Beta 98 clipped to the bell. YMMV.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I did a recording of a tuba with a SM-69 Neumann stereo microphone. Hardest recording I have probably ever done of a solo instrument. Tubas are LOUD and have a good scale/range to record (D1-F4). The final outcome was GREAT and the player was well pleased but it took us about an hour and a half to get the sound he wanted and tame the levels. First take was going so smoothly and then he hit a low note at FFF and my VU meters wrapped their pointers around the stop pin (not really but it was LOUD). I learned my lesson and the rest of the setup was getting the sound he wanted. I also did a recording of a "tuba Christmas" which was fun but also LOUD! (14 tubas playing Christmas carols in a lounge) FUN!
📝 Reply