Quantcast
Nature Sounds and Enviroments Copyright?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nature Sounds and Enviroments Copyright??
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Nature Sounds and Enviroments Copyright??

I hope I have the correct forum, but genuinely interested that when people upload field recordings of waves, sea, rain, thunderstorms, especially on Youtube, that they put up a disclaimer that 'copyright, reproduction or republication of all or part of this video/audio is prohibited' etc or similar?

How can they copyright natural earth sounds? just interested..

Its not exactly a performance but the recordist, and surely a rain storm or the sea/waves sounds identical to another?

I was genuinely interested how they claimed to own the recording when it isn't a performance by them, and if they hear a part of their 'storm' in another track or song, how do they prove that you 'stole their thunder' ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
All recordings are a performance of somekind and none are exactly similar.
Its up to the art of the recordist and that puts it into the realm of subjectivity.
A mono iPhone recording cannot compete with the full cream of a dedicated wildlife pro.
Dedication is creative , random collection less so.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If generated royalty revenue is a-flowin'.....converting the copyright earnings into carbon credits or a charitable donation to your favourite environmental protection/preservation organization could be an admirable step in the right direction ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Professional field recording can be hard work and involves expensive equipment, travel, and often hours of editing. You can't expect recordists to just give that stuff away. Some people make their living at it.

If I take a photo of a landscape, and 100 other photographers take photos of that same landscape, all of our photos will be different. We all see scenes differently, have different cameras, have different post-processing skills. My images represent my unique vision and skills, as well as the unique conditions under which I shot the photo. It's no different with field recordings.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Copyright is with the maker of the recording. It's that simple. Of course the copyright can be transferred to other parties, but that is always a matter of contracts or other agreements.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by flsh333 ➑️
How can they copyright natural earth sounds?
They can't. What they are copyrighting is their recording of those natural earth sounds.

The performance and the recording of the performance are two different things.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A contract made with Mother Nature may be non-binding...hard to get a signatory for the latter party...just as a city built on rock and roll may be structurally unsound ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Read' Journeys into the Wild' by Gavin Thurston for a description of dedication , hardship and success in wildlife film capture.
That is the nature of a real Pro...

Last edited by Rolo 46; 2 weeks ago at 11:49 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Most commercial SFX libraries I've used or bought from forbid you to copy and sell their sounds as a library or a collection, but you can of course use them in a new work that will have its own copyright (like a movie). For all but the most obvious and possibly historical sounds enforcement would be close to impossible unless some sort of audio watermarking was involved, in which case no one would buy those sounds. By now the older CD-based libraries have all been widely pirated, the newer sounds online are only available to audition in a close-to-useless lo-fi form or with a voice watermark. That gives the owner of the sound control of their property, while making those libraries hard to use. Nowadays I often end up with a sfx I bought based on assumptions about how it really sounds from the lofi audition version, only to find that in hifi it doesn't work for what I need.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
A contract made with Mother Nature may be non-binding...hard to get a signatory for the latter party...just as a city built on rock and roll may be structurally unsound ?
Terms and Conditions due to "natural phenomena"

Last edited by surflounge; 2 weeks ago at 03:23 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
All well and good but I’m sure it’s virtually impossible to spot your 9 hour thunderstorm from another commercially available and a new recording? πŸ˜†
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
If nature deserves a copyright payment, how does one do that? Buy "carbon offsets"?
Gear Nut
Quote:
All well and good but I’m sure it’s virtually impossible to spot your 9 hour thunderstorm from another commercially available and a new recording? πŸ˜†
You or others might be able to SHAZAM it ?? if it's in the database someone will know if they look deep enough......from the 30 sec sample that is...

R
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
A contract made with Mother Nature may be non-binding...hard to get a signatory for the latter party...
We all have THAT contract and unfortunately it is BINDING.....we sign it by being born!

Ray
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayS ➑️
We all have THAT contract and unfortunately it is BINDING.....we sign it by being born!

Ray
Custodial or exploitative ? I think we already know the answer to that one....
Old 1 week ago
TSM
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I heard that a big "Newage" company 15 years ago wanted some nature sounds to sell on CD. So they got Roland to do it...or as we know them, JV-1080. They recorded the rain preset to cd for 60mins and sold it world wide. Made a lot of money...
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher ➑️
Copyright is with the maker of the recording. It's that simple. Of course the copyright can be transferred to other parties, but that is always a matter of contracts or other agreements.
Amen
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I was genuinely interested how they claimed to own the recording when it isn't a performance by them, and if they hear a part of their 'storm' in another track or song, how do they prove that you 'stole their thunder' ?
Even with performances by humans of copyrighted material, the recording is its own separate thing. I was hired by a company to mix a live radio show, but they didn't want to pay more for the recording and editing of the archive/podcast versions. So I own them.
πŸ“ Reply