Quantcast
Dragged KICKING AND SCREAMING into 88.2! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dragged KICKING AND SCREAMING into 88.2!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Dragged KICKING AND SCREAMING into 88.2!

I have excuses galore, and speaking of capitals I DID capture glorious audio and video of this outdoor, windy piano/singer trio, 'SPECIALLY with the grouchy grounds manager barking at me about mic placement (we are OUTDOORS, for those of you technically minded) but you know the thing? It was WAY too bright, and the screen of an HD24xr? Can I brighten the display, some quick key, or if I just talk to it? Are we getting power, Groucho? I can barely see... 8 track song? Do the record buttons enable anything? Ah... GOOD, I hope!

Who could tell that in my frantic pushbutton quest for basic reliable sanity I had kicked it from 48 into 88.2? And how is it possible it now says digital input (?) when the tracks are all there, routed in through the quarter inch like I ALWAYS do?

It actually sounds really nice! Thanks, ye gods!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
"grouchy grounds manager barking"

Clearly, that needs at least 88.2
...or why get out of bed?!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I try to be sympathetic-- I mean, maybe the guy had just been reincarnated from his previous life as a dog?

I did manage to get some bird songs, though...
Attached Files

Stormy Weather.mp3 (7.42 MB, 439 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Doing a recording of an outdoor band concert on a band shell. Everything was going OK until a small boy runs into the center mic stand full tilt and knocks it over. Mic was OK so I set it back up then out of nowhere comes a wind that NASA could use in their wind tunnels. Luckily I had foam filter on all the mics. The concert starts and the first piece is "Fanfare for the Common Man" and the conductor wanted it to be "memorable" so the band played it EXTRA loud. Meters pegged. Luckily I had one of my recorders set -10 dBFS. Then comes a piece by John Phillips Sousa and, you guessed it, the trumpet player stands right in front of the center mic and plays FFF. About a half hour in it starts to sprinkle, luckily I had a tarp I could use to cover my equipment except for the mics. It started raining harder and people who were watching started to leave. The band was covered so they kept playing (except for the percussion section that was on a platform outside the band shell). Then the heavens opened up and I and my intern got drenched. They finally stopped the concert when it started lightening and thundering. It was all over in 15 minutes and so I packed up my gear and went back home.

FWIW
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
"Grouchy grounds manager barking".

There always seems to be someone who insists on introducing the most petty regulations whilst you're trying to set up against the clock.

Trying to move the whole of the orchestral percussion section equipment for a recording into a cathedral, someone asked the verger if a side door which lead directly to the orchestra seating area could be opened. This would have meant that the distance it had to be carried was just a few yards. The verger refused and said it had to be brought in through the main entrance, involving a walk with timps, bass drum, gong.....everything, of something like 300 plus metres round trip for every piece of kit. I found a trumpet player's comment very amusing when he said to the verger, "We never had this trouble when the catholics had it".

(It's an English joke really, he was referring to the time Henry Vlll broke away from Rome to form the Church of England in 1534). I thought it such a quick response...........trumpet players went up in my estimation after I heard that!!

I've had precisely the same experience unloading recording equipment into churches too.

The concept of a stage door has evaded many ecclesiastical establishments.

Very strong stuff this red tape.

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 6 days ago at 03:21 PM..
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
Doing a recording of an outdoor band concert on a band shell. Everything was going OK until a small boy runs into the center mic stand full tilt and knocks it over. Mic was OK so I set it back up then out of nowhere comes a wind that NASA could use in their wind tunnels. Luckily I had foam filter on all the mics. The concert starts and the first piece is "Fanfare for the Common Man" and the conductor wanted it to be "memorable" so the band played it EXTRA loud. Meters pegged. Luckily I had one of my recorders set -10 dBFS. Then comes a piece by John Phillips Sousa and, you guessed it, the trumpet player stands right in front of the center mic and plays FFF. About a half hour in it starts to sprinkle, luckily I had a tarp I could use to cover my equipment except for the mics. It started raining harder and people who were watching started to leave. The band was covered so they kept playing (except for the percussion section that was on a platform outside the band shell). Then the heavens opened up and I and my intern got drenched. They finally stopped the concert when it started lightening and thundering. It was all over in 15 minutes and so I packed up my gear and went back home.

FWIW
I was playing trombone in a big band accompanying stage acts in a well advertised event in a very large marquee in the centre of a field, normally the venue for agricultural shows. All the great and good of the theatrical profession were there. Ella Fitzgerald opened the event, but as the 10 day event wore on the heavens opened, and vehicles were getting stuck in the mud and scattered around the field in varying states of distress. No one could get in, or out.

My abiding memory was of sitting on stage rehearsing with the acts, and watching a torrent of water from the roof of the marquee pouring directly into a large mixing desk and outboard gear in the centre of the seating area. Gushing is the word that springs to mind.

Everything was eventually cancelled.

The event was called Recro, but became known amongst the musicians as Aggro!

Last edited by Geoff Poulton; 6 days ago at 04:13 PM..
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton ➑️
"Grouchy grounds manager barking".

There always seems to be someone who insists on introducing the most petty regulations whilst you're trying to set up against the clock......................

I've had precisely the same experience unloading recording equipment into churches too.

The concept of a stage door has evaded many ecclesiastical establishments.

Very strong stuff this red tape.
Same kind of mindset that insists upon one using the 'tradesman's entrance'...with no exceptions possible.
Dispels any foolish notion of a classless society....reminds me of the lines in Lennon's "Working Class Hero" :
'Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and classless and free'
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm thinking there is quite possibly a Gearspace book in this somewhere..........

A Collection of the Experiences of the Itinerant Recording Engineer.

Paperback.
πŸ“ Reply