Quantcast
Your Remote Island SCHOEPS Pair - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your Remote Island SCHOEPS Pair
Old 3 weeks ago
Your Remote Island SCHOEPS Pair

You're being sent to a fairly big island (for life) that's home to thousands of musicians playing every kind of musical instrument imaginable, and you're allowed to take only one pair of SCHOEPS. What pair of SCHOEPS would you take with you and why?

P.S. Serviceability of the chosen model is not of concern since you can always ship them back and receive new identical ones.

P.P.S. There's no humidity issue on this particular island. You'll also encounter all sorts of recording spaces, small, large, fairly treated, untreated, indoors, outdoors.

P.P.P.S. Please don't hesitate to include the second SCHOEPS pair (we all know) you wish you were allowed to take with you alongside the first one. Not that you will be allowed to do so, but it's still enlightening what your second pair would be.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
mk6's with either the tube preamp bodies or the (hopefully) soon available digital 'preamp'/dsp bodies - reason is quite simply: they offer the most versatility.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
CMC55 pair
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
DPAs.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Schoeps? Two CMC55s.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
CMC6 + MK5

The MK6 is no longer available.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It depends on what kind of rooms and halls those musicians typically perform in. If the answer is "all kinds", then of course we all have to pick the MK5 dual pattern capsules. That seems like a "forced error" to me, though. The MK5 is one of the few Schoeps capsules I don't own and will never own, because I have different preferences amoung the single pattern capsules. If forced to pick only one pattern, I would probably go with MK22's because the bass response is tolerable on most subjects but they're directional enough that you can sort of do near-coincident arrays with them, albeit widely spaced ones. The trouble with those is that, while I like their sound up close, they don't really have enough reach to use at great distance.

Now if we could have two pairs of capsules, the choice is an easy one. I think many folks would choose a pair of MK2's and a pair of MK4's. I wouldn't though, because (heresy!) MK4's are my least-favorite Schoeps capsule. For my "directional" pair, I would choose MK41's, because I can put them far enough away to get a nice hall sound and still get pinpoint, full width imaging of a small ensemble. For my "omni-ish" pair, I would choose MK21's, because I think they're the most beautiful-sounding capsule Schoeps makes.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording

Last edited by David Rick; 3 weeks ago at 03:48 PM.. Reason: MK5 is the dual pattern capsule
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
CMC55 pair
I'm surprised Hudson. I thought MK2 was your favorite capsule. But I guess you chose versatility this time around.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Does the island have good acoustics? What’s the RT and dimensions?

Honestly if it had to be Schoeps, I worry I’d be the bookie alone with broken glasses in the Twilight Zone... most islands are quite humid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
Does the island have good acoustics? What’s the RT and dimensions?

Honestly if it had to be Schoeps, I worry I’d be the bookie alone with broken glasses in the Twilight Zone... most islands are quite humid.
No, this particular island is dry enough. So no issues with humidity whatsoever. Oh and acoustics-wise, the island has all sorts of spaces. Indoors (treated and otherwise), outdoors, you name it.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfghdhr ➡️
No this particular island dry enough. So no issues with humidity whatsoever.
That said, Cmc”x”5 seems like a no-brainer to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
mk6's with either the tube preamp bodies or the (hopefully) soon available digital 'preamp'/dsp bodies - reason is quite simply: they offer the most versatility.
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that you need to choose from the current available lineup.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that you need to choose from the current available lineup.
too bad (as exactly none of the components i mentioned are currently in production) - i'd still opt for versatility and therefore would either smuggle a third mic (four double m/s) or then go with a pair from a different manufacturer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
too bad (as exactly none of the components i mentioned are currently in production) - i'd still opt for versatility and therefore would either smuggle a third mic (four double m/s) or then go with a pair from a different manufacturer...
So you won't choose any capsule from the current lineup? Remember I also edited my original post, asking if you could tell us what your second pair would've been, had it been allowed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rick ➡️
For my "directional" pair, I would choose MK41's, because I can put them far enough away to get a nice hall sound and still get pinpoint, full width imaging of a small ensemble.
I've also heard they're great for closeup vocals.

Quote:
For my "omni-ish" pair, I would choose MK21's, because I think they're the most beautiful-sounding capsule Schoeps makes.
Haven't heard a bad thing about MK21's. How do you compare them with MK22 open cardioid?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
So you won't choose any capsule from the current lineup? Remember I also edited my original post, asking if you could tell us what your second pair would've been, had it been allowed.
i do use gear from the current line up: besides a dozen of mk4's, i have mk8, mk41 and mk21 capsules, cmc5 and cmc6 preamp bodies, cmxy-4v, mstc-64u, mini-cmit, v4 etc.

imo the double m/s system (consisting of three preamp bodies, two mk4v's and a single mk8) is an absolutely brilliant system! - however, a pair of austrian audio oc-818's offers similar features as does any soundfield mic!

next best in terms of versatility would be a mk4/mk8 m/s system (which occasionally even 'beats' double m/s) but with two additional mk21's (for outriggers and other applications/as spot mic) - again i would have to smuggle an additional mic which would be a blm3 (and while i'm at it, i would try to bribe the customs officer to let me bring in a pair of mk41's and mk2's as well)...

___

in a nutshell: i like versatility - two pairs of fixed pattern sdc's mostly don't give me all options i want and i therefore would rather take 'true' multipattern ldc's (with 5 or more pattern options) on a desert island if i couldn't take an entire array of fixed-pattern sdc's with me!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Haven't heard a bad thing about MK21's. How do you compare them with MK22 open cardioid?
The MK21's have the more natural low bass pickup, of course, but they can be a little bright at close distance. The MK22's don't have that problem, but they can start to sound dull in the diffuse field. This trade-off is why Schoeps makes MK2, MK2S, and MK2H. That's an expensive set of options though; I like to option of adding APE balls to my DPA omni's instead.

David
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I like to option of adding APE balls to my DPA omnis instead.

David
Ah, that would be my desert island.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My second pair: Sennheiser MKH 800 Twin, and I don't need the Schoeps anymore... (even if I often use some MK22).

Last edited by fred2bern; 3 weeks ago at 07:15 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If only one pair of same capsules, I would take either MK2, or MK2H.

If you can't record with those omni for whatever it is you are recording, it is not worth recording. Don't bother, find something else worthy of omni to record.

If it does not have to be the same pair of capsules, perhaps one MK2(H) and one MK8, and do MS.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I want to take back my Schoeps choice and make a new one. Please?

Trading out my Schoeps for two Sennheiser MKH80s. Done! And I'm not a huge Sennheiser fan, but the 80s are SO versatile.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I think I could probably record anything with my MSTC64 and my SD mixpre6.
Quote:
For my "omni-ish" pair, I would choose MK21's, because I think they're the most beautiful-sounding capsule Schoeps makes.
Since you already commented on the MK21 vs MK22, could you also give us your opinion on MK21 vs MK2 (and its variants)? Thanks.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i never experienced any of these alledged issues stemming from humidity with schoeps mics:

- i've had a dozen schoeps mics hanging over a bob runway for days (and nights) and had no problems whatsoever (and no, the zeppelins were not heated and the dead cats were frozen).

- i have been using dozens of schoeps microphones for years to amplify, record and broadcast classical music openairs and in august/september it can quickly get quite humid here in the evenings; none of the schoeps (or any other condenser mic form akg, b&k or shure) has ever failed in service because of humidity (and no, they are not fully shielded: just a foam cap unless there's heavy wind - but then, we switch to mostly clip mics anyway and the line array becomes the limiting factor, not the mics).

- just two days ago, i used a mk4/cmc6 for recording and amplification on the occasion of a foundation stone laying ceremony on the site of the former local radio studio: after the rehearsals/while the lunch break a small thunderstorm came up and the mic was provisionally covered with a plastic bag, in which you could see the condensation afterwards - the mic continued to work without any problems (and yes, i had placed a more robust handheld dynamic reserve mic nearby).

someone pls tell me some horror stories...!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Since you already commented on the MK21 vs MK22, could you also give us your opinion on MK21 vs MK2 (and its variants)?
Someone else will need to comment on this. All of my omni's are DPA.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Well, then, I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tortuga, raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out.
- Jack Sparrow | Johnny Depp, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. 2003
I do own a matched pair of Schoeps CCM 5 L mics. Don't think that these capsules are some sort of hack or compromise solution. They are not. They are awesome! Still, the CMC 1L amps are better than the CCM for portability, flexibility and RF protection. I also own a couple of them. So I'd recommend you take a matched pair of MK 5 capsules and CMC 1L amps.

But avast, mate! I'm also going to smuggle in a small treasure chest full of my matched pair of MK 8 capsules. . .and MK 41 capsules. . .and MK 2 capsules. . .and MK 21 capsules. . .and MK 22 capsules. . .and MK 4 capsules. . .and my MiniCMIT. . .and a SuperCMIT. . .and enough CMC 1L amps to run all of the capsules. . .and a couple V4 mics just because. . .and whatever else I can raid, pillage, plunder and otherwise pilfer my weasely black guts out to get. Ask me again after Schoeps releases their new digital series.

What kind of stupid island only allows only one or two pairs of Schoeps? And did they really expect me to play by the rules?

Pirate.

Ray H.

Will Turner: You cheated.
Jack Sparrow: Pirate.
- Orlando Bloom & Johnny Depp, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. 2003
Quote:
Someone else will need to comment on this. All of my omni's are DPA.
Oh I thought you'd already tested MK2 capsule. So is it possible that if you tested MK2 capsule, you might find it even more beautiful-sounding than MK21?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I believe that the "humidity problem" with Schoeps capsules is real; I have actually had them "fritz and sizzle" using them as boom mics on motion picture locations that were rainy. Many years ago. Jerry Bruck of Posthorn Recording used to recommend a 40w incandescent bulb in a desk drawer at night between shooting days to dry them out.

That being said, I have not had any such problems for many years with my Schoeps, but they are all indoor sissies now.

At the time, Schoeps in Germany admitted that there might be such a reaction from Mk heads in the wet but also said that it was due to an accumulation of dirt and dust buildup on the diaphragm. That was certainly more likely to happen to motion picture mics because they more often got used in inhospitable conditions; dusty, EFX foggy, hot and humid, cold and rainy. You know? A typical movie day. Schoeps said that having a properly cleaned mic would eliminate the problem. So, working it into my loss and damage claims, I would send my mics back every 18 months or so to have them cleaned and checked out. Schoeps was always very Germanic in the stern reprimand that I should take better care of my mics. I never told them about the knight who smote my CMC441 with his broad sword. It still worked fine but had quite a battle wound to the tube. I will also admit that when I moved away from Schoeps to Sennheiser MKH50s and MKH40s, I never had the "humidity problem" again. And I liked the sound of the Sennys better for dialog in any case and never went back. Sanken short shots were immune as well.

D.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I don't like Schopes, but if I really have to choose...
CMC5 Linear +5db, with MK5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIACOMO-_ ➡️
I don't like Schopes
Interesting, I've never heard that sentence before.
📝 Reply