The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your Remote Island SCHOEPS Pair
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfghdhr ➡️
I'd like to know your take on this question too, if that's okay. Thanks.
i'm not doing enough voice over work to comment on this topic.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
i'm not doing enough voice over work to comment on this topic.
It's okay, I have a feeling though that the most natural voice over capsules from SCHOEPS are MK2 and MK21. Or maybe I'm wrong.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's okay, I have a feeling though that the most natural voice over capsules from SCHOEPS are MK2 and MK21. Or maybe I'm wrong.
MK41. Designed specifically for it.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
well, i don't ever go by generic attributions but by pattern which is determined by the room (and the desired result) - generally speaking, i'm more into directional mics than omnis as i want to capture what's in front of the mic.

i do use a pair of mk41's on talking heads in live situations a lot (unless i have a pair of kem970's available but we're then talking about a vastly different price category; for this price, one can get the entire range of capsules from schoeps - twice!)
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yes the reason I mentioned MK2 and MK21 was because of their natural sounding polar patterns.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry to go off topic original poster.....

Looks like I've just picked up a pair of CMC5 bodies.
1 x Omni cap (not sure exact model yet)
1 x Cardoid cap (again not sure of model)

I only record music and not classical
So will use these Schoeps on my Yamaha C7 Grand
And Acc Gtr etc

I'm a big fan of ORTF or XY when tracking piano
I need a matched pair of capsules to try these Schoeps

Trying to decide whether to go Omni or Cardoid
I currently use a pair of Sony ECM100U (ORTF)
Any tips?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes the reason I mentioned MK2 and MK21 was because of their natural sounding polar patterns.
What makes those polar patterns natural sounding?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
Well omnis are sealed, which makes their response spherical hence the off-axis sound is much less colored.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➡️
Quote:
Well omnis are sealed, which makes their response spherical hence the off-axis sound is much less colored.
frankly, i find most any attributions/alledged behaviour other than relating to fr pointless: one cannot blame a highly directional mic (with a mostly flat fr such as the mk41) to do what a hypercardioid capsule/mic is supposed to do...

...and a pair of them may very well sound 'natural' and get perceived closer to what can get experienced when sitting in a room than results from an omni pair: this does not depend on any inherent quality of the pattern of the mic but rather on the source, the room, the mic technique being used, the position of the mics in the room etc. and ultimately how suitable/how good a match they are for the task at hand.

if one cannot compare to another system, it's impossible to tell whether a pair (or array) of mics can capture signals adequately if that's is the aim (or can be achieved at all, which I doubt)...

...and then there's taste.

anyway, i find the schoeps microphones of outstanding quality, on the one hand because they offer the largest selection of capsules, on the other hand because the capsule-typical deviations and the accompanying sound changes are extremely elegant and almost ideal - ime a mk4 and mk2 are more uniform than a 4011 and 4006...

___

in short: that certain microphones sound more 'natural' than others is either a truism or then a false statement, the latter certainly if claimed as absolute/general!

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 11:39 AM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
...and then there's taste.
Yeah, I agree. I guess ultimately one needs to hear all those capsules for oneself in one's own space to decide which capsules one gravitates towards more.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The off-axis coloration of the Mk41 is actually lower...
Attached Thumbnails
Your Remote Island SCHOEPS Pair-fpol-mk41.jpg   Your Remote Island SCHOEPS Pair-fpol-mk21.jpg   Your Remote Island SCHOEPS Pair-fpol-mk2.jpg  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher ➡️
The off-axis coloration of the Mk41 is actually lower...
Surprisingly so, until you get to very low frequencies and then the omni is a win again.

I don't think anyone would ever go wrong with having a pair of those omnis or a pair of those cardioids, either one. Go use the omni as a drum overhead, then try recording a piano with just one of them and see how you like it. They are great mono mikes as well as half of great stereo pairs. Using them as mono mikes will help you get a sense of what they sound like.
--scott
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Off-axis response depends on microphone diameter.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead ➡️
I only record music and not classical
So will use these Schoeps on my Yamaha C7 Grand
And Acc Gtr etc

I'm a big fan of ORTF or XY when tracking piano
I need a matched pair of capsules to try these Schoeps

Trying to decide whether to go Omni or Cardoid
I currently use a pair of Sony ECM100U (ORTF)
Any tips?
Since you're mostly in the close field, I would lean towards a pair of MK22 capsules. They have very limited proximity effect, so the bottom octaves will sound quite natural. Unlike omni's, you can still make a near-coincident pair out of them, albeit a wide one. (The Schoeps mic array app will show you how, or I think they got Michael Williams to make up a custom chart for them.) The MK22's don't really have any HF etch at all, but that's often a good thing up close. When you need that extra zing, you can use your Sony's.

David L. Rick
Seventh String Recording
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Interesting, I've never heard that sentence before.
He means he doens't like Chopin ;-)
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston69 ➡️
He means he doens't like Chopin ;-)
but seriously, I’d never heard that sentence (“I don't like Schopes”) until Giacomo uttered it. I guess there’s a first for everything.
📝 Reply