Your Remote Island SCHOEPS Pair - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your Remote Island SCHOEPS Pair
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfghdhr ➡️
Since you already commented on the MK21 vs MK22, could you also give us your opinion on MK21 vs MK2 (and its variants)? Thanks.
I owned both, they’re very different! MK21 can sound bright and harsh compared to MK2, which sounds always smooth/natural.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalo1004es ➡️
I owned both, they’re very different! MK21 can sound bright and harsh compared to MK2, which sounds always smooth/natural.
Thank you for participating.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Schoeps CMC5 Mk5

(When I ordered my pair of Mk5s, I asked for a consecutively numbered pair, but the kind gentleman I bought them from wore glasses with very heavy thick lenses, and I received "not quite" consecutive numbering! The company was outside of the UK, so exchanging them would have been a bit involved.

However, I did manage to buy three consecutively numbered UM70s, which I am still quite chuffed about).
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
i strongly disagree but nevermind...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Poulton ➡️
Schoeps CMC5 Mk5

(When I ordered my pair of Mk5s, I asked for a consecutively numbered pair, but the kind gentleman I bought them from wore glasses with very heavy thick lenses, and I received "not quite" consecutive numbering!
Maybe he understood you wanted a matched pair or a stereo set. By Schoeps most of time the preamps are consecutive serial numbers but not always are the capsules...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
i strongly disagree but nevermind...
+1. In my mind the BEST sounding Schoeps capsule of them all.

D.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
no other manufacturer offers such a wide variety of capsules and they are amazingly close in terms of 'sound' (meaning mostly frequency response), regardless of pattern - by comparison, the frequency response from different patterns of any multipattern ldc (or even mdc) varies a lot more.

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 3 weeks ago at 05:53 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred2bern ➡️
Maybe he understood you wanted a matched pair or a stereo set. By Schoeps most of time the preamps are consecutive serial numbers but not always are the capsules...
Ah! That's interesting to know. I ordered them from the U.S.
It amused me a little when they arrived not quite consecutive. I half imagined the gentleman trying to see the numbering in inadequate light and through milk bottle bottom glasses!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There must be a better word than.....harsh........ when speaking about Schoeps!!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In the free field, MK2 has far more low end output than MK21, plus MK21 does have a high end hump whereas MK2 does not. Perhaps that is why people thinks MK21 is brighter. It is basically all true.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
It amused me a little when they arrived not quite consecutive. I half imagined the gentleman trying to see the numbering in inadequate light and through milk bottle bottom glasses!
Funny in that I know that man quite well and his eyesight is, well, not so good.

You will never meet, however, a better human being nor anyone with a more intimate knowledge of all things Schoeps.

D.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️

D.
MK 21? And if so, what’s your second best sounding SCHOEPS capsule?
Lives for gear
Quote:
There must be a better word than.....harsh........ when speaking about Schoeps!!
I know right?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think I bought those Schoeps about 1989, and I was over there a few years ago. I did think of calling in.
The reason I half imagine trying to read things in inadequate light through glasses, is that I'm part of the way there myself now!
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i'm not getting why one would wanna discuss the difference in 'sound' of various schoeps capsules:

selecting the appropriate pattern and position, direction, angle and distance are far for important than the slight lf attenuation or hf bump as the latter two can easily get corrected by using filters while all former criteria cannot get corrected after recording...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Me, I'd pick a CMC-5 or CMC-6, avoiding the CMC-6 XT totally, and the MK41. I'd rather have a mike that is too tight for the application than too wide, but that is just me.
--scott
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kludgeaudio ➡️
Me, I'd pick a CMC-5 or CMC-6, avoiding the CMC-6 XT totally, and the MK41. I'd rather have a mike that is too tight for the application than too wide, but that is just me.
--scott
You’re not the first one who doesn’t like the CMC 6-XT. Could you please elaborate?

P.S. I wish CMC1 could replace CMC 6-XT in terms of extended frequency range capturing ability.
Lives for gear

Quote:
You’re not the first one who doesn’t like the CMC 6-XT. Could you please elaborate?
It doesn't sound as good. It sounds harsh to me.

Same with the new extended range Sennheisers like the MKH8020 which do a totally different thing to get the wide bandwidth but really just don't sound as good to my ears.

I don't have any real justification other than just that I don't like it.
--scott
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
i'm not getting why one would wanna discuss the difference in 'sound' of various schoeps capsules: [. . .]
While, on top of the Flummox, three Harp-Twanging Snarp
Will twang mighty twangs on their Three-Snarper-Harp
- Dr. Seuss | Theodor Seuss Geisel, If I Ran the Circus. 1956
Speaking only for myself, I am attracted to the different 'sounds' different Schoeps capsules capture in situ. Yes it is a nuance thing, I suppose. But - willfully, purposefully - excluding other mic options, that nuance thing between Schoeps capsules starts to sound pretty big. . .in a good way.

Recording a Three-Snarper-Harp, maybe it wouldn't matter? But when sitting down with my Yamaha GC82S, these intimate nuances are inspiration - and worth the exploration.

That is not to ignore pattern, position, direction, angle and distance. . .nor to fail to give such their proper place. But those dimensions - traditionally applied - are not the end of all compelling space.

Hence, choosing one desert island Schoeps capsule over another - aside from the MK 5 [because it is a twofer] - seems a dreadful mistake. Not finding absolute beauty and wonder in all of the major [MK 2, 21, 22, 4, 41, & 5: at least these] Schoeps capsules reflects more a sense that one has been on their island too long!

Now. . .bring me that horizon.

Ray H.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath ➡️
While, on top of the Flummox, three Harp-Twanging Snarp
Will twang mighty twangs on their Three-Snarper-Harp
- Dr. Seuss | Theodor Seuss Geisel, If I Ran the Circus. 1956
Speaking only for myself, I am attracted to the different 'sounds' different Schoeps capsules capture in situ. Yes it is a nuance thing, I suppose. But - willfully, purposefully - excluding other mic options, that nuance thing between Schoeps capsules starts to sound pretty big. . .in a good way.

Recording a Three-Snarper-Harp, maybe it wouldn't matter? But when sitting down with my Yamaha GC82S, these intimate nuances are inspiration - and worth the exploration.

That is not to ignore pattern, position, direction, angle and distance. . .nor to fail to give such their proper place. But those dimensions - traditionally applied - are not the end of all compelling space.

Hence, choosing one desert island Schoeps capsule over another - aside from the MK 5 [because it is a twofer] - seems a dreadful mistake. Not finding absolute beauty and wonder in all of the major [MK 2, 21, 22, 4, 41, & 5: at least these] Schoeps capsules reflects more a sense that one has been on their island too long!

Now. . .bring me that horizon.

Ray H.
i didn't say there are no differences but they are first and foremost a result of the pattern and can (and imo should) get corrected by applying filters: with sdc's, pattern beats 'sound'/'built-in eq'!

different story when using large (tube) ldc's: then the differences (stemming from capsule designs, tube, innards but also the basket) are massive, even when using mics with identical patterns, and can get used in creative ways: with ldc's, 'sound' (sometimes) beats pattern!

getting the pattern right imo is the foundation of the entire recording process and cannot get corrected in any way * - getting the 'sound' right (in terms of eq) can take place at any stage later in the process.

* EDIT: unless one uses mics with dual-capsule outputs or capsule arrays

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 3 weeks ago at 02:20 AM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
MK 21? And if so, what’s your second best sounding SCHOEPS capsule?
IMHO, the Mk2.

D.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath ➡️
Not finding absolute beauty and wonder in all of the major [MK 2, 21, 22, 4, 41, & 5: at least these] Schoeps capsules reflects more a sense that one has been on their island too long

Ray H.
Please don't disregard the Mk8. Lots of folks look down on that capsule but I, for one, love the Mk4/Mk8 M/S rig above, let's say, the MKH20/MKH30 rig. Just a personal view, of course. Now that I have the MKH80s (my only Sennheiser condensers after selling three pair this year), it will be interesting to try them in M/S (trickier) to see if I like that sound better.

D.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please don't disregard the Mk8. Lots of folks look down on that capsule but I, for one, love the Mk4/Mk8 M/S rig above, let's say, the MKH20/MKH30 rig. Just a personal view, of course. Now that I have the MKH80s (my only Sennheiser condensers after selling three pair this year), it will be interesting to try them in M/S (trickier) to see if I like that sound better.
Agreed. I do not think anyone else has been able to make a small diaphragm figure-8 anywhere near as good and Sennheiser is the only company that has even made one that is usable at all. The MK8 is a great and wonderful thing.

But I do think that if I had only one capsule it probably wouldn't be a figure-8. But, on the other hand, if the only capsule I had was an MK8, It wouldn't be that bad although it might be a struggle in some rooms with the narrow angle of acceptance.
--scott
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Let me quote again what I said emphasizing what apparently people did not read: MK21 CAN sound bright and harsh.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:

D.
You can consider a microphone one of the best and still CAN sound bright. I think the DPA 4041 is one of the very best and is very, very bright
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
You can consider a microphone one of the best and still CAN sound bright. I think the DPA 4041 is one of the very best and is very, very bright
Well, as we know, when we talk about the "sound" of microphones, semantics can get in the way.

I would surely not consider the Mk21 a "bright" sounding head. I find it a deliciously "neutral" sounding source. I would say though, in defense of your argument, that the MKH20, 30, and 40 sound a little "dark" to me. I know! Haha!

D.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Well, as we know, when we talk about the "sound" of microphones, semantics can get in the way.

I would surely not consider the Mk21 a "bright" sounding head. I find it a deliciously "neutral" sounding source. I would say though, in defense of your argument, that the MKH20, 30, and 40 sound a little "dark" to me. I know! Haha!

D.
I think we actually agree, indeed semantics can be tricky
Lives for gear

Quote:
Let me quote again what I said emphasizing what apparently people did not read: MK21 CAN sound bright and harsh.
I've got a student string quartet that can make ANY microphone sound bright and harsh.
--scott
📝 Reply