Quantcast
the peculiar desires of a producer for certain (inexpensive) mics... - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the peculiar desires of a producer for certain (inexpensive) mics...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

My vocal master actually sang with Toscanini, along with the NBC Orchestra.
That's what he said about "The Big Enchilada"...
"Modest".

Chris
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher ➡️
It's always good to be modest about your own contributions, but this should never be confused with an excuse for carelessness, IMHO.
i don't know about anyone else, but after thousands of assignments, i think i have a pretty sober view of our work (if what we do can be called 'work' at all):

we are hired to do a job - there may be a certain expectation associated with it but if it is met, the dedication or care does not matter as it does not change the results - it may very well have consequences for any further employment though but that was not the subject of discussion here.

[idid i mention that i was asked by the producer to accompany a similar project next year? (I gratefully but firmly declined!)]

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 3 weeks ago at 01:51 AM..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️

[idid i mention that i was asked by the producer to accompany a similar project next year? (I gratefully but firmly declined!)]
Sometimes "no" is the only answer. Good on you.

D.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Sometimes "no" is the only answer. Good on you.

D.
thx - i just got back from live mixing two pianists - iiro rantala/david helbock who played solo and in duo (check them out if you don't know them already!) - which was infinitely more satisfying in terms of being able to realise my own technical ideas *...

...not least because the result in its singular and final form (the live mix) could be experienced directly and any qualities or faults would fall back on me relentlessly, or i would be urged to make corrections by the musicians, other technicians present, the promoter, the label boss in yesterday's case, the audience.

___

* what a contrast to the situation i decried in this thread: preamps, converters, desk, mics, patterns, positions, dynamics, eq and efx were entirely my choice (ldc's on the pianos and sdc's for ambis; no 'mains' as there would have been too much spill) - the only thing that was given was the room and two steinway model d (plus to leave enough time for the piano tuner between soundcheck and concert).

[next up (amongst others) will be dave weckl band, astor piazzolla quintet (which i also mixed during the last tour which the maestro was still playing), rymden, yellowjackets, mike stern/bill evans band, dianne reeves, misia etc. - and two concerts with a jazz ensemble + orchestra!]

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 3 weeks ago at 05:56 AM..
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➡️
The person that pays gets to pick the gear.
Not here. The motto of the Tonmeistertagung is, “we call the tune.”
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
[next up (amongst others) will be dave weckl band, astor piazzolla quintet (which i also mixed during the last tour which the maestro was still playing), rymden, yellowjackets, mike stern/bill evans band, dianne reeves, misia etc. - and two concerts with a jazz ensemble + orchestra!]
Ooooooh. Jealous!

D.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Ooooooh. Jealous!

D.
join me anytime! - although foh isn't necessarily always in the best place...

(see pic from today)
Attached Thumbnails
the peculiar desires of a producer for certain (inexpensive) mics...-20210524_180308.jpg  
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

If they want mike X used, by all means I'll use mike X. But I'm likely to put up mike Y next to it as a safety, just in case of failure. Always have a safety. Which mike goes into the final mix? Only their hairdresser knows for sure.
--scott
📝 Reply