Quantcast
Count Basie 1965 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Count Basie 1965
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Count Basie 1965

Besides not recognizing the microphones, some interesting things spotted.

First, the guitar mic is on the instrument, not the amplifier? Maybe there was something on the amp or a line out of some sort but from what I can see, the mic is on the guitar, not the amp yet it comes through in the mix perfectly.

One overhead drum mic. Could be another mic at kick drum level and, since there are two of them, the mic is between them. Not exactly how modern recordists would do it.

Sax section has mics on every horn. Trumpets and Trombones have two mics per section.

Sound quality, dynamics and mix are excellent for 1965.

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
For a really great Basie record, recorded fully "Remote" in glorious fashion, one must beg/borrow/steal a copy of 'Live At the Sands (Before Frank)'. A late high point in pure, electrifying energy, captured in the waning age of an era where big bands competed in a losing battle for attention with rock and roll and everything electrified. I don't know how tongue-in-cheek is the addition of 'Before Frank' to this capture of an "opening band", but the way they tore the paint off the walls, I don't know how anyone less than Sinatra could have successfully followed the Count in front of that rowdy audience of high-rolling drunks and partiers that hot Nevada night...

An age never to return.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

There was no guitar amp, Freddie played acoustically.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
AKG C28s
Bk6b on Basie
Television Theatre , Shepherds Bush.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Great recording! I love the trumpets using "hat mutes" on stands early on, and the shot of the trumpet section through the drummer's hands.

What a treat!

HB
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 ➡️
AKG C28s
Bk6b on Basie
Television Theatre , Shepherds Bush.
Thanks for the info.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…