Quantcast
Quad Output Mics/Pearl DS70 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Quad Output Mics/Pearl DS70
Old 9th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quad Output Mics/Pearl DS70

Are there any alternatives to the Pearl DS70?

Pearl DS70

What are the problems I will encounter if I placed musicians around this type of microphone for a single chassis mic/4 channel recording? I will first try to get the best acoustic/physical balance while tracking, but without getting too anal about it. Then at mix, I will (if necessary) fine tune the level and panoramic positioning of the 4 mic outputs and perhaps add spatial and tonal sweetening...

Is there anything obviously wrong with this approach?

Old 9th May 2021
I don't know any stereo microphone with double outputs, except the Pearl. In the old days there were Neumann Q69 and AKG C424 quadraphonic microphones. They very rarely pop-up on Ebay.
Old 9th May 2021
Gear Head

Not an apples-to-apples comparison, but in this general category (and from the sister company) there is also the enigmatic Milab SRND 360:

https://www.milabmic.com/srnd-360/
Old 10th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
On further research, I found the Antelope Edge Quadro.

Old 10th May 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothings ➡️

Pearl DS70

What are the problems I will encounter if I placed musicians around this type of microphone for a single chassis mic/4 channel recording? I will first try to get the best acoustic/physical balance while tracking, but without getting too anal about it. Then at mix, I will (if necessary) fine tune the level and panoramic positioning of the 4 mic outputs and perhaps add spatial and tonal sweetening...

Two Austrian Audio OC818's can give you four outputs.
Old 10th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
any ambisonic mic system would do (and a double m/s-system needs just three capsules for full coverage and/or upmixing) but i doubt i would wanna use a single mic system in this situation...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 10th May 2021 at 04:32 PM..
Old 10th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister ➡️
I don't know any stereo microphone with double outputs, except the Pearl. In the old days there were Neumann Q69 and AKG C424 quadraphonic microphones. They very rarely pop-up on Ebay.
http://nevaton.eu/product/nevaton-mc-50/

I don’t own or have experience with these, but the Nevaton mics I do have are very good.
Old 10th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years

Josephson C700S
Old 11th May 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by surflounge ➡️
Josephson C700S
That is a very pure recording. Reminds me of some of my favourite Chesky or Peter Moore single-mic recordings. I love everything about that mic (except the price)...I'll have to keep buying lottery tickets, I guess.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothings ➡️

Pearl DS70

The Sennheiser Ambeo might also be an option within a budget limited situation..

You then use their plugin to align the caps and decide how to mix it.. you can do all kinda things, you might want to look into it.. i think it’s pretty cool, especially when used for 360 stuff or cool videos things..

In case of a more classical situation, where music only is involved, there might be others that probably sound a bit better and could provide a better “picture”..

Cheu
Old 3 weeks ago
https://soundcloud.com/audiothings

Nice recording. How was it made? One stereo set-up?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister ➡️
https://soundcloud.com/audiothings

Nice recording. How was it made? One stereo set-up?
Thank you.

XY pair of KM184s for drum OH, U47 for kick, SM57 capturing slide guitar through a blues junior, Brauner something on vox and M149 on acoustic guitar. Live recording in a big studio through a Neve 88R, with the bass amp in the room. I can't remember if I managed to blend in any DI or mic signal for the bass in the mix... if so it was minimal. The bass guitar sound is basically from the other mics. Mixed in my tiny studio (at the time) on Cubase 5. I think the only effect I used was the convolution reverb built into cubase.
📝 Reply