The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weatherproofing a microphone
Old 5 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Weatherproofing a microphone

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with protecting a microphone against wind and rain outdoors... The application would most likely call for an array of subminiature omnis, left outdoors for an extended period of time.

I have come across the Shure DuraPlex DL4. I have also seen that the DPA 5100 comes with an outdoor cover - so I'm curious what material is being used there and what the internals look like.

For a number of reasons, including the number of microphones, cost is very much a concern.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What sort of audio is going to be recorded, at what typical levels: natural ambience plus wildlife...insect sounds...industrial noise ?

At lower levels, particularly with sub-miniature capsules, microphone self noise looms large as an unwanted contributor.

Would electret (ie permanently charged diaphragm) be more or less susceptible to moisture failure than a regular condensor capsule ?

All the factors listed (small size, moisture, condensor mic) seem at first glance to conspire together against a successful recording, particularly over extended time, with the condensation of moisture always present. Can you trade off any of these variables...size, for instance ?
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
What sort of audio is going to be recorded, at what typical levels: natural ambience plus wildlife...insect sounds...industrial noise ?

At lower levels, particularly with sub-miniature capsules, microphone self noise looms large as an unwanted contributor.

Would electret (ie permanently charged diaphragm) be more or less susceptible to moisture failure than a regular condensor capsule ?

All the factors listed (small size, moisture, condensor mic) seem at first glance to conspire together against a successful recording, particularly over extended time, with the condensation of moisture always present. Can you trade off any of these variables...size, for instance ?
It would be a rural environment with occasional vehicle noise. The vehicle noise, even if distant, is the target of the recording. Sensitivity is a concern. Absolute SPL measurements are not important. From experience in totally other circumstances, the larger diaphragm mics seem to be far more problematic in terms of wind noise - I think? I don't think fur is an option in rain? I have come across these (adding the conversion circuitry is not a problem):
https://vespermems.com/products/vm3000/
although I think that indicates self-noise of 31.5dB(A).
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
DPA 4060 almost impervious to rain and damp if mounted correctly and gagged
MKH 416 in full Rycote live outdoors for all season for UK Footie, and it pisses down here!
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
For outdoor concert sound we used to use un-lubricated condoms over the microphone capsules. Worked well. FWIW
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
For outdoor concert sound we used to use un-lubricated condoms over the microphone capsules. Worked well. FWIW

I'll second that... anywhere near water this worked very well indeed

Ray
📝 Reply