Quantcast
Weatherproofing a microphone - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Weatherproofing a microphone
Old 4th May 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Weatherproofing a microphone

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with protecting a microphone against wind and rain outdoors... The application would most likely call for an array of subminiature omnis, left outdoors for an extended period of time.

I have come across the Shure DuraPlex DL4. I have also seen that the DPA 5100 comes with an outdoor cover - so I'm curious what material is being used there and what the internals look like.

For a number of reasons, including the number of microphones, cost is very much a concern.
Old 4th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What sort of audio is going to be recorded, at what typical levels: natural ambience plus wildlife...insect sounds...industrial noise ?

At lower levels, particularly with sub-miniature capsules, microphone self noise looms large as an unwanted contributor.

Would electret (ie permanently charged diaphragm) be more or less susceptible to moisture failure than a regular condensor capsule ?

All the factors listed (small size, moisture, condensor mic) seem at first glance to conspire together against a successful recording, particularly over extended time, with the condensation of moisture always present. Can you trade off any of these variables...size, for instance ?
Old 4th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
What sort of audio is going to be recorded, at what typical levels: natural ambience plus wildlife...insect sounds...industrial noise ?

At lower levels, particularly with sub-miniature capsules, microphone self noise looms large as an unwanted contributor.

Would electret (ie permanently charged diaphragm) be more or less susceptible to moisture failure than a regular condensor capsule ?

All the factors listed (small size, moisture, condensor mic) seem at first glance to conspire together against a successful recording, particularly over extended time, with the condensation of moisture always present. Can you trade off any of these variables...size, for instance ?
It would be a rural environment with occasional vehicle noise. The vehicle noise, even if distant, is the target of the recording. Sensitivity is a concern. Absolute SPL measurements are not important. From experience in totally other circumstances, the larger diaphragm mics seem to be far more problematic in terms of wind noise - I think? I don't think fur is an option in rain? I have come across these (adding the conversion circuitry is not a problem):
https://vespermems.com/products/vm3000/
although I think that indicates self-noise of 31.5dB(A).
Old 4th May 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DPA 4060 almost impervious to rain and damp if mounted correctly and gagged
MKH 416 in full Rycote live outdoors for all season for UK Footie, and it pisses down here!
Old 5th May 2021
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
For outdoor concert sound we used to use un-lubricated condoms over the microphone capsules. Worked well. FWIW
Old 8th May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➑️
For outdoor concert sound we used to use un-lubricated condoms over the microphone capsules. Worked well. FWIW

I'll second that... anywhere near water this worked very well indeed

Ray
Old 31st May 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
i have used a BBE Sonic Maximizer when adding condoms to the mics
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayS ➑️

I'll second that... anywhere near water this worked very well indeed

Ray
Are there any non-lubricated condoms?
Just looked a few days ago and there were
about fifteen-twenty versions but all lubricated.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie ➑️
Have a look here https://www.amazon.com/s?k=non+lubri..._ts-doa-p_1_14
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
It's funny that you asked this question.

When we do festival recordings, all our outdoor shotgun mics need condoms added to them. Unfortunately, we have been using the Trojan Magnum Xl Condoms which are only available with lubrication.

We go through the ritual of removing the lubrication before placing them over the microphones with great care and precision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie ➑️
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness ➑️
It's funny that you asked this question.

When we do festival recordings, all our outdoor shotgun mics need condoms added to them. Unfortunately, we have been using the Trojan Magnum Xl Condoms which are only available with lubrication.

We go through the ritual of removing the lubrication before placing them over the microphones with great care and precision.
See my post #9
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I did check out your post #9 condom list link, and unfortunately, the Trojan Magnum Xl Condoms we use do not come unlubricated.

Quote:
See my post #9
Old 2nd June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I did check out your post #9 condom list link, and unfortunately, the Trojan Magnum Xl Condoms we use do not come unlubricated.
Maybe something like this https://www.breederschoiceonline.com...roducts_id=467
Old 2nd June 2021 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
How did it work out for you Thomas?

Quote:
Old 3rd June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
How did it work out for you Thomas?
Never used one so I cannot comment. I just did a search on the WWW for Horse Condoms.
Old 3rd June 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Never used one so I cannot comment. I just did a search on the WWW for Horse Condoms.
The mind boggles...does it require assistance to....never mind !
Old 3rd June 2021
Lives for gear

I can't believe nobody has recommended a Countryman mike here. More convenient than a condom (not that I am not a huge fan of condoms in their place).
--scott
Old 3rd June 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Years ago, I hung outside a locomotive cab door, while travelling at speed in the rain, pointing a Bruel and Kjaer measurement mic at the wheels and rails to measure the noise SPL and spectra. We wrapped the capsule in a layer of GladWrap under the windsock. It worked well.
Old 4th June 2021 | Show parent
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
We have used this technique, and it worked well in light rain conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➑️
Years ago, I hung outside a locomotive cab door, while travelling at speed in the rain, pointing a Bruel and Kjaer measurement mic at the wheels and rails to measure the noise SPL and spectra. We wrapped the capsule in a layer of GladWrap under the windsock. It worked well.
Old 4th June 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Spearritt ➑️
Never had much luck with plastic wraps. The sound was very muffled compared to a condom. FWIW
Old 7th June 2021
Super Moderator

🎧 15 years
I was looking for images of our shotgun mics, but only was able to find a couple of images of our Milab DC196 protected by a prophylactic condom during the 2013 Newport Folk Festival...
Attached Thumbnails
Weatherproofing a microphone-05_-newport-folk-2013_4160.jpg   Weatherproofing a microphone-05_-newport-folk-2013_4161.jpg  
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolo 46 ➑️
DPA 4060 almost impervious to rain and damp if mounted correctly and gagged
MKH 416 in full Rycote live outdoors for all season for UK Footie, and it pisses down here!
mounted correctly and gagged

could you explain more about that pls? Im planning to record in a very humid outdoor enviroment soon, rain forest, using a pair of 4060. Thanks a lot
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I mounted 2 DPA 4060 in a small Rycote blimp
One at either end of the dirigible.
Good in wind blast, rain and hi humidity.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Non lube sources

Non lube sources:

https://www.ripnroll.com/products/wi...eat-protectors

https://www.allcondoms.com/products/...rasound-covers

search bodypack microphone covers
Old 1 week ago
I feel like latex would affect the frequency response too much.
A much better idea would be to use a waterproof "air filter rain-sock and dust cover" intended to be used for motorcycles. As its still breathe-able. allowing for more natural microphone behavior.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru
What do those in the middle of a hurricane reporters use?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
What do those in the middle of a hurricane reporters use?
Dynamic microphones. Plenty of examples on the internet of SM57 mics working fine after they have been immersed...even in salt water!
(Don't try this at home kids)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad ➑️
Dynamic microphones. Plenty of examples on the internet of SM57 mics working fine after they have been immersed...even in salt water!
(Don't try this at home kids)
Those reporters are most likely using a 635A. To be honest, one of the more useful field recording microphones for years was the RE-55 which was like a 645A with bottom end and top end. I miss it.
--scott
πŸ“ Reply