The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stereo microphone ruler
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Stereo microphone ruler

A stereo microphone ruler. Convenient to adjust microphone space and angle.
NOS, ORTF, XY90, XY120, VR A, Gerzon stereo (5cm, 120 degrees) and B9audio PF stereo (7cm, 110 degrees)

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Did you make this or purchased it? It is unclear from your posting.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe ➡️
Did you make this or purchased it? It is unclear from your posting.
I am making it.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sign me up if you decide to sell them!
Old 1 week ago
Founder

V cool idea!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
My brother-in-law 3D printed this for me to my specs. Perfect tool for ORTF with pencil mics.

Old 1 week ago
Founder

Would make a great pair of speedos too!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Can we see a better picture of the ruler just by itself and laying flat?. It does looks very cool.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It would be useful if you want to experiment a lot, but using Shapeways
3-D printed mic mounts is even faster and in my
experience, more useful for standard setups. I use ORTF and XY90 mounts for my 8040’s and a Blumlein (nose-to-nose) mount for my MKH30’s. Each stereo mount is held by a single Rycote INV-7 HG MKIII shockmount-no stereo bar needed.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I guess I should repost this every decade or so...

True Angle protractor for setting mic angles

David
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
9sbean is B9Audio.com
Lives for gear

Quote:
Physiotherapists and orthopaedic surgeons often have goniometers like those to hand as well
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
But the 9sBean ruler/protractor only works best (or at all) with those particular B9 mics, which are side-address, not the typical end-address SD condensors ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
But the 9sBean ruler/protractor only works best (or at all) with those particular B9 mics, which are side-address, not the typical end-address SD condensors ?
I think it would work just as well with end-fire SDC’s. Just make sure the mic diaphragms are lined up with the center of the circle and the center of the microphone shaft aligned with the shaft of the arrow.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkie ➡️
I think it would work just as well with end-fire SDC’s. Just make sure the mic diaphragms are lined up with the center of the circle and the center of the microphone shaft aligned with the shaft of the arrow.
Yes I guess that would work....or else for non-B9 mics a version of the ruler without cutouts and just a + sign to line up the diaphragm, and either 19mm spaced parallel lines (or the arrow shaft) for the angle aspect ? White printing might provide better contrast than black, for black and grey bodied mics...perhaps as a choice when buying.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yes I guess that would work....or else for non-B9 mics a version of the ruler without cutouts and just a + sign to line up the diaphragm, and either 19mm spaced parallel lines (or the arrow shaft) for the angle aspect ? White printing might provide better contrast than black, for black and grey bodied mics...perhaps as a choice when buying.
Good point. Will check if the printing can be white instead of black.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Then the electric version that shoots out lasers with the measurement to the target like some other SDC that came out a few years back.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by elegentdrum ➡️
Then the electric version that shoots out lasers with the measurement to the target like some other SDC that came out a few years back.
....with the Arduino fitted micro controller/servo motor-adjustment of stereo angle, when it's in the stereo bar atop the mic stand...all controlled by a phone app
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
....with the Arduino fitted micro controller/servo motor-adjustment of stereo angle, when it's in the stereo bar atop the mic stand...all controlled by a phone app
Haha, weight, power, size, and appearance could be a burden.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJWeitzner ➡️
My brother-in-law 3D printed this for me to my specs. Perfect tool for ORTF with pencil mics.

Got one like that in cardboard for ortf, but your one is prettier.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Exactness is not required for mic angles and spacing.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There's also the infinitely cheaper 'Origami' template by Michael Williams (of 'The Stereophonic Zoom' fame) :

"However there is a very simple way of setting up the distance and angle between the microphones which requires only a sheet of A4 paper and relies
on the ancient Japanese art of “Origami” (but in a very much simplified form) ! Here are a few illustrations....(Figure 18)

The corner of an A4 page folded as in Figure 18b will give us 45° and 135°, opened out flat and then folded again as in Figure 18d will give 67.5°and 112.5°. This means we can now measure accurately angles of 45°, 67.5°, 90°, 112.5° and 135°, and other angles can be estimated “by eye”.

An A4 page (21 cm x 29.7 cm) folded vertically as in Figure 18 f will give us a width of 10.5 cm, opened out flat and then folded horizontally as in Figure18g will give us 14.85 cm. So we can measure 10.5 cm, 14.85 cm, 21 cm and 29.7cm. Again other distances can again be estimated"

It's illustrated in the following document, page 17, Figure 18:

https://microphone-data.com/media/fi...%20zoom-10.pdf

If you're a handy wood-worker, you could also build yourself a 'Crocodile' (page 16-17)

If you're unfamiliar with the concept of SRA (Stereo Recording Angle) the document above makes a great introduction
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For those having trouble envisaging what it looks like, here's a picture of the 'Deluxe Crocodile'...

...plus a Decca or surround Tree which might quicken the blood of fans, due to its portability and relative compactness !

http://www.mmad.info/MSS/mmss.htm

Michael will even sell you a Croc...if you can raise the necessary cash !

"The measuring of the anglular coverage segments is always a problem. A prototype design of a measuring instrument called 'The Crocodile' was described in the publication 'St Zoom'.

A more streamlined version is shown in 'Microphone Support Systems and Accessories' and can be purchased from Michael Williams at [email protected] (price 240€)."
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There're some problems a laser fitted. It makes the microphone not a round shape and may not be able to turn. Powerful laser is a threat to the eyes of the people around, less powerful laser may not be bright enough to observe.

To point the microphone as you wish, it is best to do it in post.
With VR Ball, you can point your microphone easily in post. And continuously variable.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sbean ➡️
Good point. Will check if the printing can be white instead of black.
Sometimes I prefer a pretty ruby red, sparkling sapphire blue, envious emerald green, rich gold, or fun violet tanzanite.

Can I get one made from transparent oled - so I can dial in just the right mood and custom configurations?

Greedy customer,

Ray H.

Seriously: Looks like a fun idea - I say do it!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My main point is built the laser into a mic ruler. I have used good laser range finders for years in survey. would be a disk or puck in the ruler about the size of the circles. Press the top, and a laser finds the range in the direction it is rotated.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I have an ORTF ruler that I made from 1/8" baltic birch but.... as soon as I set the mikes up with it, I listen and then I always wind up changing the angles or spacing anyway.
--scott
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
David - after years of futzing around with almost ORTF, NOS and DIN setups, I finally bought an MSTC64. While NOS and DIN are rather flexible, I can definitely tell the difference between my SOORTF (sort of ORTF) and the schoeps unit that is exactly correct.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
My main point is built the laser into a mic ruler. I have used good laser range finders for years in survey. would be a disk or puck in the ruler about the size of the circles. Press the top, and a laser finds the range in the direction it is rotated.
Worry the price of such a device. Finding the distance is important, but how can you find the distance from the main stereo (high in the air) to spots? Always spots to main, and even so, it is difficult to aim the main if it is not a big target.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The $2 Stereo Mic Tools app (from "Engineered Stuff") gives you all this measurement ability... without the use of lasers or a physical ruler...it uses the camera in your cell phone or tablet.

You simply hold the phone above your mic array (in 'Bomb Sight' mode) and read off angles with ease. Point your camera at the ensemble and you can instantly get a reading of Performer Recording Angle (the degrees of arc they occupy)

For phone or iPad/tablet:

https://appadvice.com/app/stereo-mic-tools/572383335
https://www.chartoo.com/itunes/app/5...ereo-mic-tools
'How to Use' guidance posting: An Intelligent Stereo Mic Technique Simulation App

If that doesn't float your boat, try a free lesser-featured version, from Neumann:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...e-in-your-ears
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...ecording-tools
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ls&hl=en&gl=US
📝 Reply