The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tulsa Opera - Greenwood Overcomes
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Tulsa Opera - Greenwood Overcomes

We're in production this week for Tulsa Opera's Greenwood Overcomes concert which takes place this Saturday and Sunday. This is my first show since March 10, 2020 with an actual audience (except for the football games last fall, which don't count).

This is a commemoration for the 100th Anniversary of the Greenwood Riot which were the worst race riot in the history of the United States and resulted in the near total destruction of the Greenwood district, a major financial center for the Black community in Tulsa, often called the Black Wallstreet.

We have 23 songs all written by living Black composers and sung by Black artists, with 8 world premier pieces and 4 pieces specifically commissioned by the Tulsa Opera. The Saturday evening performance will be live streamed for free and is available until the end of the month. I'm doing the multi track audio recording and that will be broadcast nationally later in the summer on National Public Radio through WGBH out of Boston. They are also doing a three-camera video shoot for the live stream and possible later rerelease, and projections. All 8 singers will be on wireless lavs for the recording and live stream.

We're using a three-way isolated split to feed FOH, the live stream console, and my recording system. FOH is a Yamaha CL5 with two RIO 3224-D i/o racks. The Live stream console is an Avid D-Show Profile. My recording system is Focusrite Red 8 Pre, with a True Systems Precision 8 Pre, and a Focusrite Clarett OctoPre for additional inputs, recording to redundant Protools systems using HD|Native and Dante Virtual Sound Card with a Focusrite AM2 to monitor the DVS back up recording. We're syncing the audio and video recording to Timecode with an Avid Sync HD.

Wireless mics are Shure ULX-D with DPA 4061 lavs. Piano mics are Earthworks PM40s. Floor mics are Crown PCC 160s, and room mics are a pair of Neumann KM184s hung in ORTF from the lighting bridge, and a pair of Line Audio OM1s hung from the lighting bridge and spaced about 15 feet off center.

Here's a quick pic of my set up. I'll try to get some better pictures later today between rehearsals.

You can watch the show here, starting at 7:30pm Central Daylight Time on Saturday May1, 2021:

https://tulsaopera.com/greenwood-overcomes/
Attached Thumbnails
Tulsa Opera - Greenwood Overcomes-img_20210428_151503591.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'll be interested to see when the Seattle Opera starts back up. Maybe in May or June? It won't mean any work for me (unless it overlaps the Summer String Festival) but I'll be happy for my boss when he starts getting more work. He makes his living doing that work. Oh and if he gets a lot of work, I'll get some too. Hurray for Pfizer!

Be safe out there all you Remotesters.

D.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler ➡️
We're in production this week for Tulsa Opera's Greenwood Overcomes concert which takes place this Saturday and Sunday. This is my first show since March 10, 2020 with an actual audience (except for the football games last fall, which don't count).

This is a commemoration for the 100th Anniversary of the Greenwood Riot which were the worst race riot in the history of the United States and resulted in the near total destruction of the Greenwood district, a major financial center for the Black community in Tulsa, often called the Black Wallstreet.

We have 23 songs all written by living Black composers and sung by Black artists, with 8 world premier pieces and 4 pieces specifically commissioned by the Tulsa Opera. The Saturday evening performance will be live streamed for free and is available until the end of the month. I'm doing the multi track audio recording and that will be broadcast nationally later in the summer on National Public Radio through WGBH out of Boston. They are also doing a three-camera video shoot for the live stream and possible later rerelease, and projections. All 8 singers will be on wireless lavs for the recording and live stream.

We're using a three-way isolated split to feed FOH, the live stream console, and my recording system. FOH is a Yamaha CL5 with two RIO 3224-D i/o racks. The Live stream console is an Avid D-Show Profile. My recording system is Focusrite Red 8 Pre, with a True Systems Precision 8 Pre, and a Focusrite Clarett OctoPre for additional inputs, recording to redundant Protools systems using HD|Native and Dante Virtual Sound Card with a Focusrite AM2 to monitor the DVS back up recording. We're syncing the audio and video recording to Timecode with an Avid Sync HD.

Wireless mics are Shure ULX-D with DPA 4061 lavs. Piano mics are Earthworks PM40s. Floor mics are Crown PCC 160s, and room mics are a pair of Neumann KM184s hung in ORTF from the lighting bridge, and a pair of Line Audio OM1s hung from the lighting bridge and spaced about 15 feet off center.

Here's a quick pic of my set up. I'll try to get some better pictures later today between rehearsals.

You can watch the show here, starting at 7:30pm Central Daylight Time on Saturday May1, 2021:

https://tulsaopera.com/greenwood-overcomes/
FYI your rehearsal livestream is active currently.
📝 Reply