The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonosax Dante card
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Sonosax Dante card

I’m thinking of updating my mobile recording setup to the Sonosax R4+/AD8+. After more than a decade of using a Prism ADA8 via Firewire (400 no less) it’s time get current. I’m wondering if anyone has experience with the optional Dante card when inputting to a Mac via Thunderbolt. I understand from Sonosax that Dante is supposed to work well on the AD8+ but is not quite fully functional for the R4+. I’d like to be able to track using the Dante out on the R4+ into Sequoia and use the AES out to a backup recorder. Also, I’m curious if anyone has any experience with the optional AVB card that Sonosax offers. Finally, does anyone know why Sonosax restricts the US version of the R4+ to 114 dB but sells the full-strength AD8+ and M2D2 here?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I can only address your last two questions since I do not have experience with Dante and Sonosax.

The AVB card works on a Mac up to 48kHz. sampling rate. Currently, because of a bug in Apple's AVB implementation, higher sampling rates do not work on a Mac.

The dynamic range restriction on the US model is because of a patent dispute with another company over the dual converter design.

I bought a R4+ US model and had it converted to full spec via a software key.
A Canadian dealer can do this for you and then you walk it back to the US. There is not hardware change to do the upgrade. One uses a code in software to "unlock" the full dynamic range capability.

Sonosax discusses DANTE capabilities on their website. They list the number of tracks available to record vis á vis the sample rate. I believe that I read that one can record 12 tracks at higher sample rates via the DANTE card. The full 16 tracks are available at 48kHz.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➡️
I can only address your last two questions since I do not have experience with Dante and Sonosax.

The AVB card works on a Mac up to 48kHz. sampling rate. Currently, because of a bug in Apple's AVB implementation, higher sampling rates do not work on a Mac.

The dynamic range restriction on the US model is because of a patent dispute with another company over the dual converter design.

I bought a R4+ US model and had it converted to full spec via a software key.
A Canadian dealer can do this for you and then you walk it back to the US. There is not hardware change to do the upgrade. One uses a code in software to "unlock" the full dynamic range capability.

Sonosax discusses DANTE capabilities on their website. They list the number of tracks available to record vis á vis the sample rate. I believe that I read that one can record 12 tracks at higher sample rates via the DANTE card. The full 16 tracks are available at 48kHz.
Thanks, that's helpful. 48kHz limit on AVB kills that. I'll go with the Dante card. Good tip on 'unlocking' the full dynamic range capability of the US spec R4+ hardware with a software mod.

I'm aware of the patent infringement issue. I was just curious why, given that the mic pres and A/D conversion are claimed to be basically the same design for the R4+, AD8+ and the M2D2, only the R4+ has the alternate version for the US. Perhaps it's because the Zaxcom patent specifically applies only to recorders utilizing the dual convertor design and therefore the AD8+ and M2D2 don't infringe.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…