The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
D/A, monitors back in the studio
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
D/A, monitors back in the studio

There are several threads here in remote possibilities that we tell about our monitors etc. when we are at the gig, but what is everyone using when they get back to their studio to mix? I am currently using a RME UFX+ and Neumann kh-120s as well as a tivoli table radio as a grot box. What do you use in your studio?
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Lake People RS-06

PSI A21-M
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mytek Stereo96 DAC to Event ASP-6
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
RME MadiFace USB to Geithain RL906.
Works for now!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lavry Blue DAC, Benchmark DAC1 (usually just for headphones), Mytek 8x192 for ADC when needed and surround monitoring when needed.

PMC IB1 (LCR) and TB1 (SL, SR)

Video Edit Suite/B Room uses an RME Babyface with Quested F11 speakers

--Ben
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
- speakers: kino$hita, tannoy, genelec, quested, k+h, dynaudio, fostex
- d/a converters: studer, euphonix, rme, crane song, weiss, tc, jünger, lake (speaker processors), lab gruppen, powersoft (dsp-driven power amps)

...but frankly, i'm much more concerned about the a/d conversion and how the room lets speakers perform!

the former due to the fact that there can be literally hundrets of a/d converters in use and the latter because the room and the speaker's position imo are way more important than a few d/a converters and what brand and model of speakers get used (assuming we're talking about gear of decent quality)...

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 2 weeks ago at 11:26 PM.. Reason: info added
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Ben - those IB1s are pretty good, but isn’t it about time you upgraded to the BB6 XBD-As?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Funny you ask that. There was a used set of higher end PMCs that came up on over the pandemic. They were selling for pennies. Had the work been normal, I probably would have purchased them and then sold off these. But it was too much to spend for what would have been a good but unneeded upgrade.

Gotta say. I love these speakers. I’ve had constructive conversations with clients about 1/2 dB mix decisions and a couple ms of predelay in a reverb. Not only can I hear that level of resolution, but so can my clients. They aren’t as fun to listen to as say a set of ATCs, but boy are they amazing to work on.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Focal Twin6 Be. Burl B2 from RME MADI FX.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Grace m905 + ATC SCM50ASL & KEF LS50
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Apogee Symphony MKII, Dangerous Monitor, Genelec S30’s (and 1031’s) + 1092 sub
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm happy to see answers at all levels of buy in. I posed this question to see what upgrade options I might consider. I'm not unhappy with, and am getting decent results with the gear that I have, but I'm looking at refining my gear into two distinct categories, location and studio. For that I would like my studio mixing chain to be the best I can afford, and I don't need all the preamps etc. in my studio. I would likely move the ufx+ to a dedicated live capture rack, and get really high quality D/A conversion and maybe some better monitors for the studio.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheath ➡️
(...)I'm looking at refining my gear into two distinct categories, location and studio. For that I would like my studio mixing chain to be the best I can afford, and I don't need all the preamps etc. in my studio. I would likely move the ufx+ to a dedicated live capture rack, and get really high quality D/A conversion and maybe some better monitors for the studio.
funny you mention this: i'm moving in the opposite direction, trying to connect all my devices in such a way that i can use them like a modular box for any application.

for me, practical considerations (handling, minimum time for load-in, setup and teardown, mobility, connectivity etc.) outweigh whether there might be yet another device that performs a little better in terms of measurements...

[...but then i use my rig for rehearsals, live, studio and broadcast applications, up to a rather large scale.]
📝 Reply