The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Zoom H2N powering for continuous recording--Battery Pack?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Zoom H2N powering for continuous recording--Battery Pack?

Hi..i have a need for a battery pack with USB ports in order to power a
Zoom H2N for a couple of things..
one is a long 'show', outdoors in the country being put on by my son's class..it's a covid structured thing and a marathon..something they do at school in normal years..this time it's at one of the school Parent's country house..

I'd like to record it with no breaks, untethered but set up on stand and out of reach for the most part..this is a combo of 3 classes doing performances all day..fun stuff..

Part of the reason i want to do this at this performance thing, is for a test of whatever power supply i land on.. because I also use this little recorder on wilderness excursions with a buddy of mine
we take a couple of pony guitars along and play and write..fairly long trips..10-15 days
I'd like to reduce my disposable battery usage and just streamline this process

anyhow..This Zoom H2N recorder has a mini USB input on it..you can
plug that USB cord into USB wall wart and off you go..You have to bypass the battery in the setup menu..

I figure if you can do that, then you could just plug into, via USB, a bigger portable battery with USB ports on it?

I have no idea..i messaged ZOOM but haven't heard back..trying to be prepared early so i can test this rig..

thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd have thought a handful of those cellphone battery power packs, the type that outputs 4-5 volt DC on a USB socket would be ideal for long running times, maybe 8 hours per battery at a stretch ? Just be sure the battery output socket size matches your Zoom's.

Assuming you're not phantom powering external mics, and also assuming you're reducing the drain on the battery to simply recording only (ie not powering the display, assuming it fades down to black 20 secs or so after use...and also not powering earbuds or headphones) you should expect this sort of battery life.

I'm guessing the H2N runs on 5vDC ? Just add a solar panel trickle charger, and always have one battery 'on charge' during daylight/sunshine hours... you should be good to go for several recording hours per day. Make sure you have sufficient SD recording card capacity too...and record at either 44.1/16 bit or MP3 quality.

I do this with my Zoom R16 for several hours, recording up to 8 simultaneous tracks...with display dimmed and phantom power off, and your Zoom should be a much lighter load on the external battery
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
No problems with the H6 and different external usb battery packs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
strange though..Zoom says that the 2 alkaline batts will give you 20 hours of continuous recording..i overlooked this-- but now it's got me wondering...

with USB batt packs, wouldn't you assume they'd carry much more bang and duration than a couple of alkaline AA batteries?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I've been using my Zoom H6 with a 10.000mah usb battery pack; two channel phantom powered, I've used for at least 6 hours and the battery still showed 3 leds on 4 so at worst you might say it was barely half drained.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchicago ➡️
strange though..Zoom says that the 2 alkaline batts will give you 20 hours of continuous recording..i overlooked this-- but now it's got me wondering...

with USB batt packs, wouldn't you assume they'd carry much more bang and duration than a couple of alkaline AA batteries?
I'd assume much better running time with every other type of battery than with alkalines...run a few tests to verify. Be aware that Zoom allows for calibrating the battery type used within its R16 recorder...maybe yours too ?

Simply modify and minimise the factors which can hasten battery depletion (bright displays, phantom powering, onboard headphone use)...and take Zoom's own predictions with a pinch of salt...verify for yourself via testing.

Also note any maximum file sizes which can accommodated on SD cards, via recording overnight for many continuous hours. Often, simply pausing (or stopping) and restarting recording every 4 hours or so will create new files....to overcome max file size limitations. Use the test time you have to verify all these variables...don't rely on Zoom's printed data alone, it may be over-optimistic.

If using outdoors, be aware that ambient temperature ( esp if low) will also affect battery life. If you're using a mains powered wall wart for battery recharges, you'll simply have do these on a regular basis to offset recorder use...similarly with solar panel recharges if mains is limited
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Also note any maximum file sizes which can accommodated on SD cards, via recording overnight for many continuous hours. Often, simply pausing (or stopping) and restarting recording every 4 hours or so will create new files....to overcome max file size limitations.
I believe all zooms wil automatically split files as they record with seamless rejoining in a DAW. My H2n and F8 do!
📝 Reply