The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
LDCs for Live Classical
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath ➡️
There is a great Harley Chop Shop that might do the work. But I always thought of the TLM-170 more like a Bultaco - would be a shame to mod such a fine flat tracker.

Easy rider,

Ray H.
Maybe the mod would also raise the 170's maximum input ceiling to Harley exhaust levels !
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Maybe the mod would also raise the 170's maximum input ceiling to Harley exhaust levels !

It can take 154dB w/10dB Pre-attenuation as is. No mod is needed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Well, darn. I have four TLM170 and am simultaneously excited and terrified at the idea of tearing material out of the headbasket and probably losing all my resale value. Clarity versus the Almighty Dollar, which will prevail?

Someone bolster my courage!
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I modified all four of mine.

If someone were to buy them from me and wants to reverse them back to stock, he/she can order the top housings. But, I will not sell them anyways.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseetoo ➡️
TLM-170 can pick up incredible amount of detail and has an equally amazing reach if you could simply get rid of two inner layers of the pop filter cage. The difference is huge. This thing was clearly designed for very close distance pop style vocal recording, for which one definitely needs heavy duty pop filtration.
Thanks for this tip DaHong. I seem to remember Klaus Heyne writing in a post that he removes the mesh too when dealing with the TLM170. I might try to do this on mine.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I started out using U47s in omni and... I didn't really like the sound and upgraded to PZMs. But try it, a lot of people go ga-go over them.

I had one customer who was obsessed with the sound of widely spaced U87s in the nineties. The orchestra sounded okay but the room around it never seemed realistic to me at all.
--scott
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Despite the TLM170 perhaps not having universal appeal, it turns up as the close mic in many recording sessions by major labels: here is a pair sharing the bird's eye view of Nicola Benedetti's fiddle with a Coles ribbon and another wider couple of Neumann (M49/M149 ?)

https://youtu.be/yfxDQf6G4x8
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
before ripping apart any of my mics, i would like to see a measurement comparison between a modded and a standard version - so far i did not feel the urge to modify my tlm170r's in any way:

in fact, i like them mostly due to the fact that they do not exhibit much of a hf boost which plagues most any modern condenser mic, (almost) regardless of manufacturer, capsule diameter and pattern?!

i do wish i would have had more mics with such a behaviour back in the analog days though...
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Screwing with microphones certainly is not for everybody.

However, if you want to learn something about microphone design and construction but inadvertently destroying a giving microphone in the process, just consider it as tuition. At the very least, you would learn what not to do. (You really should not have touched it to begin with, perhaps?) Frankly, it is not that expensive of a tuition to pay if you can truly learn something about it. After all, TLM170 is still under production and is readily serviceable if you did destroy it. Most things I learnt as a little child I let my curiosity get hold of me. I opened up just about everything and anything I could put my hands on. I did destroy some of them but I sure learnt a lot. Luckily, my parents never stopped me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
For me:
TLM67s on celli/bassi
M149s on trumpets
TLM127 (fig8) over french horns. Next time I'll try U47s fet on french horns.

Fred.
📝 Reply