The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
stereo to 360 or vr
Old 2 weeks ago
stereo to 360 or vr

For an upcoming Ballet filming ..the production company is bringing in a VR 360 degrees team...... the audio tracks that will be played back to the dancers are stereo! I'm asked to provide "mutltitracks " which of course we don't have ...so. where do i go from here to help them out...I Have NUGEN halo (although I don't have the upmix 3D). I could give them a 5.1 but I wouldn't want to listen to that in the VR playback , i think?

Nugen Halo Upmix's 3d option would transcode to ambisonics...

any ideas?

ray
Old 1 week ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayS ➡️
For an upcoming Ballet filming ..the production company is bringing in a VR 360 degrees team...... the audio tracks that will be played back to the dancers are stereo! I'm asked to provide "mutltitracks " which of course we don't have ...so. where do i go from here to help them out...I Have NUGEN halo (although I don't have the upmix 3D). I could give them a 5.1 but I wouldn't want to listen to that in the VR playback , i think?

Nugen Halo Upmix's 3d option would transcode to ambisonics...

any ideas?

ray
Replying to my own post...the Nugen Halo Upmix 3d option works well....

ray
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
i've seen your previous post but didn't quite get whether you're asking for advice in terms of upmixing for playback via multichannel/surround speaker system or capturing of a playback via surround/ambisonic mic...

results/how things get perceived of the former imo largely depend on the room; the latter is relatively easy as there is a variety of mic systems which can achieve this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
i've seen your previous post but didn't quite get whether you're asking for advice in terms of upmixing for playback via multichannel/surround speaker system or capturing of a playback via surround/ambisonic mic...

results/how things get perceived of the former imo largely depend on the room; the latter is relatively easy as there is a variety of mic systems which can achieve this.

Upmixing a stereo soundtrack to ambisonics or at least a multi channel output (9.1/11.1) was my interest here ...they prefer ambisonics so that the virtual audience will be able to "steer" the performance ...there is no orchestra to record ...only pre recorded commercial release music.....I was merely asking if anyone had such expertise ...the 3d immersion extension for the nugen plugin works well...there is a 15 day trial I already own halo upmix but would have to make an extra purchase of the 3d immersion option....

Thx

ray
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

15 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
You could use Facebook 360 and/or IEM plug-in suites to mix multitracks to Ambisonics of whatever order (the higher the better, obviously); and then decode the Ambisonic mix to whatever your speaker arrangement is:
https://plugins.iem.at/

Rode's Soundfield plug-in (https://en.rode.com/soundfieldplugin) is useful for decoding to most standard surround sound configurations - including with height. It could take a first-order mix and decode it for 7.1.4, for instance; but I think IEM's decoder might be better, both in terms of accepting higher-order inputs and flexibility in configuring for whatever speaker arrangement you have.

AudioEase360 have a nice Ambisonic reverb, but this plug-in suite costs a bit of money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAnderson ➡️
You could use Facebook 360 and/or IEM plug-in suites to mix multitracks to Ambisonics of whatever order (the higher the better, obviously); and then decode the Ambisonic mix to whatever your speaker arrangement is:
https://plugins.iem.at/

Rode's Soundfield plug-in (https://en.rode.com/soundfieldplugin) is useful for decoding to most standard surround sound configurations - including with height. It could take a first-order mix and decode it for 7.1.4, for instance; but I think IEM's decoder might be better, both in terms of accepting higher-order inputs and flexibility in configuring for whatever speaker arrangement you have.

AudioEase360 have a nice Ambisonic reverb, but this plug-in suite costs a bit of money.
Thank you for the information and the links Rob,

the IEM seems really interesting...I'm meeting the sound/video team tomorrow, I'll know more about their needs then..

Ray
📝 Reply