The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DG Mozart Oboe - A little dessert for your ears
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

DG Mozart Oboe - A little dessert for your ears

This is audio creme brulee with a glass of brandy. Just a nice interlude, a respite from the noise of recent events. DG keeps on raising the bar.
Nice shots around 4:00 of the whole flying microphone array.

Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 28 ➡️
This is audio creme brulee with a glass of brandy. Just a nice interlude, a respite from the noise of recent events. DG keeps on raising the bar.
Nice shots around 4:00 of the whole flying microphone array.

Too ..sweet.! Can barely hear the ensemble. And the constant L-R swaying from the soloist. Not what Mozart would have heard I think.....not my glass of "brandy " from DG. So hit and miss ...also there seems to be more mics than performers or at least as many as, which we can barely hear!!! Constantly reaching for the volume control...

Ray
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Wow. One man's dessert is another's poison, I guess. Or maybe my tastes are just too plebeian.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I also find this boring, nothing musically really interesting to my taste, no fun.
I don't have a problem with the number of microphones, only the result matters.

Last edited by fred2bern; 1 week ago at 06:28 AM..
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I like it! That’s for sharing. Definitely a soloist-forward balance but not hyperbolically so. And since this is the space for gear slutz like me, I enjoy the field of microphones :-)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
This is audio creme brulee with a glass of brandy. Just a nice interlude, a respite from the noise of recent events.
This bit of Mozart is just what I needed, just when I needed it. Thanks for that.

Albrecht Mayer is one of the great oboists, right behind my personal favorite Xenia Löffler, but she mostly works in the baroque repertoire.

Although I'll have to agree that this is a little "soloist forward" for my taste, I don't find it egregious. At least he's a soloist I'm happy to listen to that close.

Nice find!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Wow. One man's dessert is another's poison, I guess. .
Rob, Brandy's not my drink and crême brulée is definitely made with sugar which is ...a poison .....

ray
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayS ➡️
Rob, Brandy's not my drink and crême brulée is definitely made with sugar which is ...a poison .....

ray
You can OD on water too
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Sorry, it sounds so unnatural to me....not only the soloist being too forward, all the mechanical noise from the instrument etc, but only sounds like the soloist and the ensemble as two different things mixed together. Just my humble opinion....
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Underling others' comments!, he does sound as if he's being recorded in an isolation booth, which clearly isn't the case....and the orchestra sounds quite distant and a bit veiled at the same time. It's hard to tell how close the spot mic pair was, but another half metre back could have helped a lot. Great playing calibre !
📝 Reply