The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Windshields
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Windshields

Hi all,

Are there any experienced outdoor soundies that can point me towards what I would need to make decent M/S recordings with my Schoeps CMC1 bodies MK8/MK4 pair.

There is the rycote basket designed for the cmc basket version but it seems silly to not be able to usilise the much smaller bodies of the CMC1 amps. I have spoken to Rycote themselves who said they have no specific product and it’s tricky to visualise the specific parts needed to make a very good, yet compact M/S windshield.

I did a test recording recently with just some £1.50 bits of foam over the capsules and the smallest bit of wind caused absolute havoc!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Cinela or Rycote make some of the best
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hi drpro, I appreciate you taking the time to reply but as I said I have spoken to Rycote who already said they don’t have a system for this yet and I’m hoping somebody here might know what from their system will fit well but not be too big!

For example, the cycle - small looks like the ideal size and performance I’m after but I’m worried about both mics fitting in the cage, one on top of each other and even if they do, does having one of them so close to the perimeter make the effect less efficient.

Dave
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You need dead air around the capsules
This means a large blimp and wind cover
There is no small answer.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As far as mic mounting, 3D printer Shapeways produces M/S mounts from mfr's Jonathon Duckett/ JM Acoustics and SRS....which will help with 'bonding' the mics together.

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/jm-a...ositioners&s=0

https://www.shapeways.com/product/Y7...66538&li=shops

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/srsrecordingservices

Make a study of all the products on offer between these 2 mfr's .....there's a lot of them ! Also, don't get too hung up on the Schoeps name alone when searching here....if a Shapeways mount for another mic mfr suits your purpose, put it on your short list...the 19mm diameter is all that really matters, as long as the mic length is also comparable with your Schoeps

Last edited by studer58; 2 weeks ago at 01:12 AM..
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Yes the shapeways options look good but i already have some rycote clips for keeping the mics close together.

What I really want is a blimp basket to put round the mics that is perhaps a little smaller than the standard basket they make...

Dave
0VU
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones ➡️
Yes the shapeways options look good but i already have some rycote clips for keeping the mics close together.

What I really want is a blimp basket to put round the mics that is perhaps a little smaller than the standard basket they make...

Dave
This would be one of the reasons I've kept some 'full sized' CMC bodies. I already had the Rycote MS blimp, Connbox and fluffy (iirr I bought one you sold on eBay a few years ago) and as I don't need to use it too often, and never in picture, I just keep some CMC5 and CMC6 because they fit the blimp's mounts. Though I did get an extra Connbox set up for a full sized CMC and a CCM-L or CMC1L (so an XLR and a LEMO) so I can use a CCM8L or CMC18L instead of a CMC_8 if I want to - it just clips to side of the full sized version. Other reasons being that I have a few of the Schoeps UMS20 stereo bars for which the CMCs are ideal, and when using the KA40/KA50 diffraction spheres, they don't properly balance on the INV-1/INV-2 mounts.

Have you tried modifying one of the Rycote stock blimp mounts or getting a bit custom made? Or getting a pair of CMC1L bodies so you can use the CCM version of the Rycote MS blimp?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyJones ➡️

Dave
Have a look at the Rode offering...price is good, and has onboard Rycote lyres, so your existing set will be redundant...just tape the 2 mics together and use the onboard set to hold your mic pair.

https://youtu.be/FYm-84dR1eo

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...B25A845540AC77
📝 Reply