The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recommendation for CD alternative for Festival Archive.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
I went to a Bad Company concert at the Del Mar fairgrounds here and as I walked out they handed me a finished, mixed and boxed CDR of the concert. I got it about 15 minutes after the show ended, I was impressed.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
I went to a Bad Company concert at the Del Mar fairgrounds here and as I walked out they handed me a finished, mixed and boxed CDR of the concert. I got it about 15 minutes after the show ended, I was impressed.
If you'd attended as a 90 year old with advanced dementia, you'd have been even more impressed...and grateful.

"Thanks for the (my) memories, son"

Some things should be forgotten....it's just as well that CD-R's have a finite lifespan

Goldfish
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➑️
If you'd attended as a 90 year old with advanced dementia, you'd have been even more impressed...and grateful.

"Thanks for the (my) memories, son"

Some things should be forgotten....it's just as well that CD-R's have a finite lifespan

Goldfish
Well, I'm not Joe Biden, yet.

I've always enjoyed recordings of memorable concerts I've attended or worked on. I have some old live Stevie Wonder board mix cassettes I got when I was on those tours back in the 1980's. Those were good times and it all comes back to this demented mind when I play them.

I also have a collection of live recordings I did with my old "bootlegger" mini DAT recording system I used to bring to shows. Maybe you don't like live concert music but some of us do and we like to "play it again, Sam" on occasion. I like that Bad Company did that for me. That CDR will last my lifetime and that's all that counts.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've got bootlegs dating back to the 70's...vinyl from Trademark of Quality, Swinging Pig etc....but the best ones are those you make yourself, and I have a few of those too Maybe that's what gave rise to this whole 'location recording' gig we're still on !
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I was never a "taper". The idea of lugging all that stuff to a concert that I actually paid money to see and then to sit/stand there the whole night and not move my head SMH.

Oh and getting busted.

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➑️
I was never a "taper". The idea of lugging all that stuff to a concert that I actually paid money to see and then to sit/stand there the whole night and not move my head SMH.

Oh and getting busted.

D.
Nowadays every concert attendee with a cellphone is a taper/bootlegger....I think the quality bar on the resulting audio has never in history been lower than today
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Anyone remember the unbelievably good Led Zeppelin boot in the seventies. It was everywhere for a while, a nicely recorded concert on quality vinyl. Ah, those were the days. It was among my fave discs.

D.

BTW and OT. Is it "disk" or "disc"?
Attached Thumbnails
Recommendation for CD alternative for Festival Archive.-pb_orig_lp.jpeg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
I did my concert recordings (the unauthorized ones) with an Akai mini DAT recorder and a small custom two channel mic preamp I built that ran on four 9 volt batteries. The mics were a pair of Shure SM 98 capsules taped to the lid of a black Raiders cap in a X/Y configuration. It was a two man operation, one sat still with the hat (not me) and the other did the recording on the DAT machine (me). We always paid for the most ideal seat or got in early to pick it.

There are many memorable shows, a few of Johnny Winter in his prime, some Pink Floyd and Rolling Stones, one was a special show by Albert King 3 months before he died. We met and spoke to Albert inside the Strand nightclub in Redondo Beach, CA. He was very kind. I asked him if he would play Cross Cut Saw and he said he would play it for me and he did.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Anyone remember the unbelievably good Led Zeppelin boot in the seventies. It was everywhere for a while, a nicely recorded concert on quality vinyl. Ah, those were the days. It was among my fave discs.

D.

BTW and OT. Is it "disk" or "disc"?
Not that particular boot, although honour among thieves was low and repackaging/re-naming rife. Many were produced from legit FM radio broadcasts, pirated off TV, fewer were 'leaked' from studio engineers or made on portable Uher reel/cassette machines toted by enterprising tapers.

Some of the early adopters of noise reduction software were bootleggers, and there now abounds a wealth of vintage bootleg material significantly more listenable than on original vinyl release.

Just check YouTube for proof

I think it's 'disc' ....as in whisk
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

I think it's 'disc' ....as in whisk
Huh? What?

D.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Huh? What?

D.
EU vs US spelling variation, both legit

Since Phillips in the Netherlands invented the Compact DisC, I think that spelling should be retained, however....it's in the trademark, logo etc
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Disk versus disc. American versus British.
Discus versus diskos. Roman versus Greek.
Alternate spellings have been going on for a while...

Because Philips (along with Sony) patented the compact disc, I tend to go with that spelling for those.
Emile Berliner had immigrated to the USA when he invented the gramophone, so I guess I go with disk for LPs and their ilk...

In my country we tend to pick and choose between English and American spellings. I favour the Oxford dictionary. Others favor Webster's.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Am I recalling correctly, that BluRay media has an additional later of protective plastic in the matrix?
Might that be a longer term solution?

Last edited by Klimermonk; 2 weeks ago at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I like cd, but musicians tell me they cannot play it. That's their problem. Go buy a cd player, violinist.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➑️
I like cd, but musicians tell me they cannot play it. That's their problem. Go buy a cd player, violinist.
This has become something of an obsession for me - to ask all my acquaintances, at some point, "Do you still have a CD player?"

Many do not, and many are conservatory grads, and/or amateur classical musicians.

I still find it hard to believe.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru
A DVD or Blue Ray DVD deck will play red book CD's. I imagine some youngin's don't have one of those either, they are streamers. Even their modern art is streamed.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
That's the essence of the problem for the children's and youth choirs that my wife directs. It used to be they all had CD players to rehearse their parts. Now...I"m not so sure. I think they are more tied to their phones than anything else at this point.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Easy, fast distribution is the number 1 priority it seems...with 'just good enough' audio a close 2nd. Longevity of the files seems irrelevant too....as 'somebody surely has them saved' ...the post-lapsarian audio landscape
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
'somebody surely has them saved' ...the post-lapsarian audio landscape
Ironically the first lapsarian event in the Judeo-Christian mythos occurred when Eve put her faith in Apple...(iTunes acolytes beware!)

All that digital info gets archived somewhere. Governments still use magnetic tape. Indications are it outlasts optical discs (at least the burned variety). HDDs are still basically magnetic storage. SSDs ... I'm not sure the verdict on longevity is in yet.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Musicians can often have the worst hi-fi set ups.

Why are they too cheap to buy a $99 cd player??

I give them a cd of their concert for them to review for broadcast.

When they ask for a file or want me to do extra hours of work, I say no. I already gave you a cd.

Then they find a way to play it and they always approve the recording.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush ➑️
Musicians can often have the worst hi-fi set ups.

Why are they too cheap to buy a $99 cd player??

I give them a cd of their concert for them to review for broadcast.

When they ask for a file or want me to do extra hours of work, I say no. I already gave you a cd.

Then they find a way to play it and they always approve the recording.
..then they lose the CD (hopefully after saving it to their storage/playback medium of choice) !

I'm wary of ever giving folks audio date on USB sticks or SD cards: so small and easy to lose or damage, have family pet eat it....so small and thus impossible to label...so easy to write new data (photos, videos) over it... when pushed for time and not having a spare empty one handy.

Most of my cassette tapes from the 70's/80's still play fine !
πŸ“ Reply