The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using low placement for main array?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by emenelton ➡️
No I am unable as well
Thank You ! I have send a pm to the moderator if they can check what the problem is.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister ➡️
Very low placement, 2 Schoeps BLM3 80-90cm A-B on the floor.

I have up loaded a wav file, but at my place Gearspace does not allow me to listen to it, can You ?
I can hear it fine.

It's the "Where are the clowns" melody.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister ➡️
Thank You ! I have send a pm to the moderator if they can check what the problem is.
It’s fun thanks
Old 1 week ago
  #34
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Sounds excellent to me despite the vagaries of GS software
Understated and precise playing and a mellow and detailed diffuse soundstage
Well done all.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
jimjazzdad's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister ➡️
Very low placement, 2 Schoeps BLM3 80-90cm A-B on the floor.

I have up loaded a wav file, but at my place Gearspace does not allow me to listen to it, can You ?
I was able to listen it Orgeltonmeister. I had to open it in another tab...

.wav files don't seem to work as well as MP3 at Gearspace (although they sound better).
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad ➡️
I was able to listen it Orgeltonmeister. I had to open it in another tab...

.wav files don't seem to work as well as MP3 at Gearspace (although they sound better).
That was what it did last night also, it opened in another tab from itself, but than it changed into a playback icon crossed with a line. Now I tried again, and it worked. Before I posted this I searched for others here on the forum that also posted wav. files that workd out for me OK, and found one. Maybe my pm helped.

BTW, it was recorded with a PCM-F1 in 1989 !!!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Earcatcher's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister ➡️
That was what it did last night also, it opened in another tab from itself, but than it changed into a playback icon crossed with a line. Now I tried again, and it worked. Before I posted this I searched for others here on the forum that also posted wav. files that workd out for me OK, and found one. Maybe my pm helped.

BTW, it was recorded with a PCM-F1 in 1989 !!!
WAVs don't play in the GS player, but will play in your browser, depending on how it is configured. (When a QuickTime plugin is in place it will always play without problems.) Normally I download WAV- and AIF-files and play them in my player of choice, outside my browser.

Nice and typical sound of BLMs, by the way. I love to use BLMs for room support a lot.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earcatcher ➡️
Nice and typical sound of BLMs, by the way. I love to use BLMs for room support a lot.
I have the same experience, the BLM3 is an excellent room/reverb microphone.

In the following example I used BLM's as reverb microphone, and as I remember well, the amount of level of the BLM's was quite substantial, but it is a while ago, I think this recording was made somewhere in 1987 or 88.
Attached Files

01-Track1.wav (11.23 MB, 258 views)

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #39
Lives for gear
 
NorseHorse's Avatar
Here are a few! Main mics only need to be high if they are required to be high to get the right balance (like for a deep ensemble).





Works with instruments too.

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
There are also comb filtering (acoustic physics) reasons to avoid low placement....or else to go really low (ie on the nearest boundary) to minimise them.... but then perhaps lose presence, due to increased distance from source to mic ? : https://www.prosoundweb.com/putting-...-on-the-floor/
Attached Thumbnails
Using low placement for main array?-image.jpeg   Using low placement for main array?-image.gif  

Last edited by studer58; 1 week ago at 02:13 AM..
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #41
Gear Guru
 
1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
There are also comb filtering (acoustic physics) reasons to avoid low placement....or else to go really low (ie on the nearest boundary) to minimise them.... but then perhaps lose presence, due to increased distance from source to mic ? : https://www.prosoundweb.com/putting-...-on-the-floor/
technically correct...

...but far from reality.

if results would be as bad as the graph might imply, how comes that billions of recordings were done with mics in exactly this position? imo not all recordings done this way sound plain horrible...

there are even reasons to go with such a position, as much as to use an even lower placement or a much higher placement or to put mics on the floor:

ANY position/distance to the floor (or to the ceiling...) has its own set of issues but also unique qualities - personally, i like results from positioning my main mic system (often ortf or m/s) at ear height, at least when recording smaller ensembles, and mostly prefer it over results from mics flown high up the air.

here's a pic (from a soundceck) two days ago: schoeps ortf on a small k&m mic stand; spots were dpa clips, ambis were a pair of (the venue's fixed installed) akg's, possibly 451's, flown ca. 4,5m above the floor (ambis can hardly be seen from this perspective).
Attached Thumbnails
Using low placement for main array?-20210427_170456.jpg  

Last edited by deedeeyeah; 1 week ago at 02:43 PM..
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 639 views: 15070
Avatar for nat8808
nat8808 4 hours ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump