The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pics from last weekend's recording of the Brahm's 4
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler ➡️
Ok. It's close to the Faulkner 4 mic array. Except that the center mics are closer to 12" apart, not 16", and they are in wide-cardioid not just regular cardioid. Maybe that's not that big a difference though.
If I am not mistaken, TF most often uses wide cardioids (sub cardioids) for the middle pair. I've been happy with 4006 as the wider omnis and 4015 at 18.5 inches (which I stole from an old interview I read. I've often wondered if the short 16" spacing was because cardioids were being used).

hope you get the opera recording.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Thank you for taking time to shoot the pictures and post here. You've brought life and the hope of better days to come back to us all.
Deleted 141eef3
Quote:
Ok. It's close to the Faulkner 4 mic array. Except that the center mics are closer to 12" apart, not 16", and they are in wide-cardioid not just regular cardioid. Maybe that's not that big a difference though.
As someone who both admires Tony Faulkner very, very much but also experiences a certain amount of "Faulkner array discussion fatigue" (as perhaps he himself does), perhaps it would be fair to say that in addition to his specific technique(s) there is also room for simply:

"I used two pairs of mics on the same bar"

(This is meant in the spirit of gentle, collegial respect, and not directed at JCBigler per se, if that wasn't very clear!). Hope that opera gig works out!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedamrosch ➡️
As someone who both admires Tony Faulkner very, very much but also experiences a certain amount of "Faulkner array discussion fatigue" (as perhaps he himself does), perhaps it would be fair to say that in addition to his specific technique(s) there is also room for simply:

"I used two pairs of mics on the same bar"

(This is meant in the spirit of gentle, collegial respect, and not directed at JCBigler per se, if that wasn't very clear!). Hope that opera gig works out!
If TF happens to invent yet more arrays, you can bet on what they're going to be called...but I rather hope he continues to do just that (we can worry about the naming of it later) !
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If you guys want to listen to this performance recording, it will be available by online stream on the KWTU online streaming portal. Broadcast times are 8:00pm central daylight time on Saturday evening March 27, and 3:00pm central daylight time on Sunday March 28.

https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/pos...l-887#stream/0

Scroll down to the section titled "How Can I Listen".

If you happen to be the one guy on the forum that is from the Tulsa area, you can listen on 88.7FM KWTU at the same times.

From the few times I've been able to catch the broadcast when i wasn't working on another show, both the radio and online broadcast sounded pretty good. I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on both the mix and what you think of the quality of the online broadcast.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
YSO
Here for the gear

HI jc , thanks for posting

Unfortunately, on a forum where most members never say it.....

maybe due to radio b/cast streaming limitations. ,, i can't listen to this..it's shrill and phasey, too many mics, wrong delays I don't know, miking is too close for the main pairs, solo violin is horrible......and it comes in and goes away, what?? no perspective from the 0rchestra...where's the room? .....I find it terribly bad that the best sound was from the interminable opening speach....!

I so wished I had better comments, but this, well is a miss....for me , like I said it could be the radio ...

Y
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I was puzzled because there were different options for listening. I switched from one to another that was noticeably better. I was listening on headphones connected to my notebook.

Thanks for posting the link to listen. Good to know something is happening in Tulsa.
YSO
Here for the gear

welllll, the jazz streaming right after your concert sounded ok and so did the new york phil. before it .....perhaps not the radio stream i'm afraid.....

Yso
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut
After listening, I guess it wasn't a TF array :

Ray
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If you guys want to listen to this performance recording, it will be available by online stream on the KWTU online streaming portal. Broadcast times are 8:00pm central daylight time on Saturday evening March 27, and 3:00pm central daylight time on Sunday March 28.

https://www.publicradiotulsa.org/pos...l-887#stream/0

Scroll down to the section titled "How Can I Listen".

If you happen to be the one guy on the forum that is from the Tulsa area, you can listen on 88.7FM KWTU at the same times.

From the few times I've been able to catch the broadcast when i wasn't working on another show, both the radio and online broadcast sounded pretty good. I'd be interested in hearing your feedback on both the mix and what you think of the quality of the online broadcast.
Hi JC, thanks for all the interesting information... Just a question about using the KM184 on violins... Doesn't their tonal character bother you, particularly vertically above violins? We use them in the Concertgebouw Amsterdam as well, but those are all modified with custom electronics to become flat and smooth...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G ➡️
(...) but those are all modified with custom electronics to become flat and smooth...
is this an in-house modification? can you share details?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
is this an in-house modification? can you share details?
Well, they are done by our national hero on analogue circuitry...
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G ➡️
Well, they are done by our national hero on analogue circuitry...
not sure i get you: are you referring to rens?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
How did the distancing between the musicians/ instruments effect the sound? Did you have to mic things differently than you have in the past to accommodate for any, for want if a better word, dispersion.

Last edited by optofonik; 2 weeks ago at 10:21 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah ➡️
not sure i get you: are you referring to rens?
Might also be referring to Jeroen Olde-Dubbelink, who did the electronics for Polyhymnia’s mic amplifiers:

https://polyhymnia.com/studios-equipment/equipment/
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
Might also be referring to Jeroen Olde-Dubbelink, who did the electronics for Polyhymnia’s mic amplifiers:

https://polyhymnia.com/studios-equipment/equipment/
Reminds me of the earlier Decca and Abbey Rd tech approach to new equipment purchases: 'off the shelf, this gear sounds ok...but our in-house boffins can optimize these significantly with a little work'.

Actually in the case of Decca it was more a case of building something (say, a mixer) from the ground up, because no commercially available equivalent, was up to par sonically...and I'm sure the same applied in American studios like Motown, Capitol etc ?

As for mixers in the late 50's to early 60's, I'm guessing the only 'commercially available' template would have been something like the Ampex MX10 or MX35 :
https://www.worldproaudio.com/WPA-Ampex-MX10-MX35-mod....perhaps there was a British equivalent ?

Last edited by studer58; 2 weeks ago at 01:33 AM..
📝 Reply