The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MixPre and iPhone Question
Old 12th March 2021
Here for the gear

MixPre and iPhone Question

Hi, just checking, can the MixPre-3 be used with an iPhone 12 as an interface? As in, for recording microphones? I've found threads referring to iPhones and iPads but they speak of USB connections at the Apple end and the iPhone 12 only has the lightning connector.

This is the original MixPre-3, not the MixPre-3 II, although I'm not sure that makes any difference? I found that it's supported by the II at least but it doesn't cover the original model either way: https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-...ts-and-phones/.

From that page, would it just work with this, the USB end in the MixPre-3 and the lightning in the iPhone: https://www.johnlewis.com/apple-ligh...le-1m/p4823477
Old 13th March 2021
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Yes it can.
Connect the usb-lightning cable between iPhone and Mixpre.
The mixpre will show up as an audio input. I believe the iPhone sets the sample rate. It’s not controlled by the mixpre when connected.

Apples GarageBand can be used as a free recorder but many others do work as well.
Old 14th March 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It will work. Standard iPhone USB to Lightning cable.

Sound Devices won't discuss their superseded items.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme ➡️
Yes it can.
Connect the usb-lightning cable between iPhone and Mixpre. I believe the iPhone sets the sample rate. It’s not controlled by the mixpre when connected.
^^This. Also, when connected, you can enable a USB input on the mixpre to get your audio from the iphone onto the mixpre.

When connected, the iphone will change your mixpre settings to 44.1khz recording.
📝 Reply