The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Companion Playlists for Classical Recording: a Practical Guide in the Decca Tradition
Old 27th February 2021
Companion Playlists for Classical Recording: a Practical Guide in the Decca Tradition

Hello everyone,

John Dunkerley, co-author of the book Classical Recording: a Guide in the Decca Tradition has asked that the playlist of recordings attached here be shared, as it appears it hasn't been disseminated yet.

There are hyperlinks in the text to companion Spotify playlists containing all available recordings. Recordings unavailable on Spotify are noted.
Old 27th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Much appreciated Kevin (and John )...it's great to be able to access the source material from this list reference (Spotify links for the majority most helpful too !)
Old 27th February 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Thank you, Kevin!
Old 27th February 2021
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thanks Kevin.
Old 28th February 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thank you.
Old 28th February 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Thanks a lot! Now spending $10/mo. for Spotify. Thanks!

No really, it's an exhaustive playlist and I will try and work my way through it, mostly starting with my preferred styles, big orchestra, large choir and then working down to smaller ensembles. Funny that I love the "big" stuff.

I mostly use Qobuz for streaming and Spotify sure does it differently. Never really liked the playlist style; always preferred album sides. Made me a terrible DJ at the college radio station. I was fired.

But I'll try it for a while. Dogs (Dougs) can learn new tricks, maybe. I listened to a Laurel Canyon playlist today and it sure brought back memories. Rap playlists? Not so interested.

D.
Old 28th February 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sorta off-topic, and I honestly have not listened to any of the Decca stuff yet, but Spotify mostly sounds like ass on my playback system.

I have been extremely happy with Qobuz, although a much more expensive subscription. But Spotify sounds pretty distorted on the pop stuff I have sampled so far.

Do others have a similar (or not similar) experience?

So far, I can't really listen to Spotify. It's that ratty.

Hmmm.

D.

Last edited by tourtelot; 1st March 2021 at 01:08 AM..
Old 28th February 2021 | Show parent
Have you turned up the sound quality settings? You can get it to 320k. Still lossy, sure. But not unlistenable. And Spotify has recently announced a new lossless tier coming within the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourtelot ➡️
Sorta off-topic, and I honestly have not listened to any of the Decca stuff yet, but Spotify mostly sounds like ass on my playback system.

I have been extremely happy with Qobuz, although a much more expensive subscription. But Spotify sounds pretty distorted on the pop stuff I have sampled so far.

Do others have a similar (or not similar) experience.

So far, I can't really listen to Spotify. It's that ratty.

Hmmm.

D.
Old 28th February 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I believe I have all the sound setting to the max.

I still say unlistenable.

My 30YO daughter says that it is tailored to kids with 8 year old bluetooth speakers. I say $29.95 earbuds.

Ugh! Not for me.

D.
Idk what to tell you. Sounds fine on my end. AFAIK it just plays back ogg vorbis encodes of tracks.

Quote:

My 30YO daughter says that it is tailored to kids with 8 year old bluetooth speakers. I say $29.95 earbuds.

Ugh! Not for me.

D.

Last edited by king2070lplaya; 28th February 2021 at 09:55 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Ugh! Not for me.

D.
Very very true, Doug. And so-called high resolution from Tidal is also garbage. Only Qobuz is listenable...
Old 1st March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Qobuz is quite expensive but I will say that it sounds as good as any HiRes source I use. Up to 24/192.

Why listen to ****?

D.
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
Idk what to tell you. Sounds fine on my end. AFAIK it just plays back ogg vorbis encodes of tracks.
Curious that it would sound okay to you and not to me. IDK either.

D.
Old 1st March 2021 | Show parent
Quote:
Curious that it would sound okay to you and not to me. IDK either.

D.
Well I do all my production work on an 8yo Bluetooth speaker and a pair of $29.95 earbuds, so maybe it’s that ;-)

But lossless is on the way, apparently! Which makes me very happy, and for which I’ve been holding out with Spotify. Their catalog is the best of any of them.

Last edited by king2070lplaya; 1st March 2021 at 04:05 AM..
Old 1st March 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Please pass that info along when it comes and I'll try them out again.

D.
Old 1st March 2021
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Spotify is playing back well here on my iMac speakers. Sounds decent through my CHORD Electronics MOJO as well. (A USB dac.)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya ➡️
Hello everyone,

John Dunkerley, co-author of the book Classical Recording: a Guide in the Decca Tradition has asked that the playlist of recordings attached here be shared, as it appears it hasn't been disseminated yet.

There are hyperlinks in the text to companion Spotify playlists containing all available recordings. Recordings unavailable on Spotify are noted.
Was just now looking for this! Thanks for sharing. The link written inside the book doesn't help at all.
📝 Reply