The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
mics for grand piano? ~$4K budget
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkadia ➡️
aren’t the spots Schoeps active stands, visible at 1:56:15 as she takes her bow?
These ones seem to be steered to the audience. The M950s would be the two
middle flying mics?
Attached Thumbnails
mics for grand piano? ~K budget-capture-1.jpg   mics for grand piano? ~K budget-capture-2.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by didier.brest ➡️
These ones seem to be steered to the audience. The M950s would be the two
middle flying mics?
I find it near impossible to recognize the mics on these screenshots...

Nice to see Plush also recommending those MGF 950s. Earcatcher was also praising these. When (if!) the recording business re-rises from the ashes, I will give them a go... For the time being, it is streaming with video and sound for corporations that keeps me afloat.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klimermonk ➡️
Too many variables! MK2...?
I was going to guess a pair of SM7B mics?

But I think one of the speakers is broken on my iPhone and didn't have the EarPods handy.

Ray H.

Clearly, I never know.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
Let's go in reverse...I'll post a Steinway concert grand audio file, and you tell me which mics I used.
i really like this recording and the playing is really good.....there's some hiss don't know if it's from the mp3 conversion or the mics/pre amp ..my perspective on headphones was reversed i.e. left hand right and vice versa???like mic positions vs pianist 's ...but, I digress, the piano sound is very nice, some notes stick out a bit but i'm nitpicking (I'm comparing with André Laplante's recording of the same piece a bit further away..I'd rather be where F.Lizst sat ) . Can't tell you which mic was used unfortunately....Just don't tell me they were the line audios
Can "imagine" a 96khz of this though.... well done studer.....

Ray
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHeath ➡️
I was going to guess a pair of SM7B mics?

But I think one of the speakers is broken on my iPhone and didn't have the EarPods handy.
Ray H.
Clearly, I never know.
Your iPhone has speakers (plural) ? Puts my ancient single speaker iPhone in the shade....but given the possible spacing distance, what's the point of having two speakers on a phone anyway ? Good guess at the mics !
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayS ➡️
i really like this recording and the playing is really good.....there's some hiss don't know if it's from the mp3 conversion or the mics/pre amp ..my perspective on headphones was reversed i.e. left hand right and vice versa???like mic positions vs pianist 's ...but, I digress, the piano sound is very nice, some notes stick out a bit but i'm nitpicking (I'm comparing with André Laplante's recording of the same piece a bit further away..I'd rather be where F.Lizst sat ) . Can't tell you which mic was used unfortunately....Just don't tell me they were the line audios
Can "imagine" a 96khz of this though.... well done studer.....

Ray
Thanks for your observations Ray...the hiss is probably from the recorder's onboard mic-preamps (Zoom). I hear bass notes on the right, 'crossing over' of notes across the stereo spectrum is not unusual with widely spaced AB Omni ....perhaps at 85cm spacing it's too wide though?

No, not Line Audio's...although those mics would not have been shamed in this setting. Mics used in this recording were Sennheiser MKH8020
Gear Nut
Quote:
Thanks for your observations Ray...the hiss is probably from the recorder's onboard mic-preamps (Zoom). I hear bass notes on the right, 'crossing over' of notes across the stereo spectrum is not unusual with widely spaced AB Omni ....perhaps at 85cm spacing it's too wide though?

No, not Line Audio's...although those mics would not have been shamed in this setting. Mics used in this recording were Sennheiser MKH8020
Crossing over..I flipped my headphones while listening...but then returned to your panning...... I'm more used to listening from the players perspective although sometimes it doesn't make sense...how far where you from the piano to have such a wide A-B?

it still sounds good ...

Ray
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Crossing over..I flipped my headphones while listening...but then returned to your panning...... I'm more used to listening from the players perspective although sometimes it doesn't make sense...how far where you from the piano to have such a wide A-B?

it still sounds good ...

Ray
Most piano miking (unless a self-evaluation recording made by and for the player) is done from an audience perspective...which is the case here, mics were out front from the curve area. Distance from piano edge to mics was probably only 1.2 metres, hence the 'cinematically wide' image. I thought it suited the piece being played however....but narrower spacing is probably advisable in this situation?
Gear Nut
Quote:
Most piano miking (unless a self-evaluation recording made by and for the player) is done from an audience perspective...which is the case here, mics were out front from the curve area. Distance from piano edge to mics was probably only 1.2 metres, hence the 'cinematically wide' image. I thought it suited the piece being played however....but narrower spacing is probably advisable in this situation?

I am a pianist!

Yes narrower spacing.....

Ray
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I am a pianist!

Yes narrower spacing.....

Ray
So you'd maybe advocate the 'mean spirited' Decca tail mic spacing of just 20-25 cm...or should we maybe shake (pre-washed) hands and split the difference somewhere in the middle !
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas_G ➡️
For those of you who would like to hear more mic comparisons on grand piano...

Freestyle mic comparison on Steinway grand piano
Really liked DPA ( both the more expensive and the 4060's) from that comparison!
Gear Nut
Quote:
So you'd maybe advocate the 'mean spirited' Decca tail mic spacing of just 20-25 cm...or should we maybe shake (pre-washed) hands and split the difference somewhere in the middle !

In a really nice room the decca tail shines, but in this case i'll shake on your "in the middle" offer....

Ray
📝 Reply