The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
sE 8 Omnis - new affordable omni
Old 11th October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, mics on the floor (aka floorcatcher array around here) :-)
Mechanical noise is mostly the pedalkeyboard which is quite near to the mics (2,5-3m) and in need of some new felt.
The open diapason 8' sounds quite real (it's big).

Last edited by heva; 12th October 2021 at 10:02 AM..
Old 15th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Main AB pair here

Old 15th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by heva ➡️
Yes, mics on the floor (aka floorcatcher array around here) :-)
That's very béchamel and hollandaise of you heva....we're mostly very open-sauce around here, about our mic arrays !
Old 16th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by benoïde ➡️
Main AB pair here

Sounds good!
Can't see any spots in the darkness and wonder if this was just the AB pair.
So curious about more detailes about the recording - and also of your subjective impression of the sE8..!?
::
Mads
Old 20th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung ➡️
Sounds good!
Can't see any spots in the darkness and wonder if this was just the AB pair.
So curious about more detailes about the recording - and also of your subjective impression of the sE8..!?
Mads
Thanx!
Subjectively, I think it's a good microphone by any standard : its sonic signature is not so distinct that it can't be used in a lot of roles (main pair, spot etc.)
For this concert, the SE8 Omni are the main pair and make the bulk of the sound.
SE8 omni : main pair
CM3 : spots for 1st and 2nd violins
SE8 Cardio : spot for alti
SP CS1 : Double bass
SE T2 : Celli

I do two types of work in the classical field : as an employee for the main broadcaster in my country (access to lots of DPA, Schoeps and Neumann mics) or as a freelancer, in which case I use my own microphones (along with a MOTU AVB system) or rent what I need (DPA 4006, Neumann 133A, Sennheiser 8090, Milab DC196).
The thing is that when recording in less than excellent spaces, Schoeps or DPA tend to reveal too much of the character of the room. I've found that CM3 or SE8 are a bit less sensitive and a tiny bit less detailed (up-down and front to back), which is sometimes a good thing.

I've got no beef with the frequency response of the self noise of my own microphones.
Old 20th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanx!
Subjectively, I think it's a good microphone by any standard : its sonic signature is not so distinct that it can't be used in a lot of roles (main pair, spot etc.)
For this concert, the SE8 Omni are the main pair and make the bulk of the sound.
SE8 omni : main pair
CM3 : spots for 1st and 2nd violins
SE8 Cardio : spot for alti
SP CS1 : Double bass
SE T2 : Celli

I do two types of work in the classical field : as an employee for the main broadcaster in my country (access to lots of DPA, Schoeps and Neumann mics) or as a freelancer, in which case I use my own microphones (along with a MOTU AVB system) or rent what I need (DPA 4006, Neumann 133A, Sennheiser 8090, Milab DC196).
The thing is that when recording in less than excellent spaces, Schoeps or DPA tend to reveal too much of the character of the room. I've found that CM3 or SE8 are a bit less sensitive and a tiny bit less detailed (up-down and front to back), which is sometimes a good thing.

I've got no beef with the frequency response of the self noise of my own microphones.
Thanks for your detailed answer. Curious about the setup you used for sE8 omni main pair - distance, hight and spread? Also your experience with T2 (to stay in sE territory) have you ever compared them to DC196?
Mads
Old 25th October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I think the AB pair was 34 cm wide, about 2,8m high and 2m from the soloist, pointed at him/the front row of strings. That way I didn't need a spot for the viola.

About the SE T2, I'd like to have a pair but from what I've used it on, I'd say it might be faster than the milab, and have a bit more harmonics. The milabs are very good microphones, but a bit restrained. The T2 seems to have a bit more reach yet still sounds neutral enough that it could be used on many instruments. Without having done any straight comparisons, I'd say they are different types of utility clean microphones, good for spots in most circumstances.
Old 25th October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think the AB pair was 34 cm wide, about 2,8m high and 2m from the soloist, pointed at him/the front row of strings. That way I didn't need a spot for the viola.

About the SE T2, I'd like to have a pair but from what I've used it on, I'd say it might be faster than the milab, and have a bit more harmonics. The milabs are very good microphones, but a bit restrained. The T2 seems to have a bit more reach yet still sounds neutral enough that it could be used on many instruments. Without having done any straight comparisons, I'd say they are different types of utility clean microphones, good for spots in most circumstances.
Thanks (again) for your detailed answer. I think I get your description of the DC196 - even though this is one of my favorite directional microphones, yes they can be a little restrained in some situations.
Mads
Old 3rd May 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
SE8 omnis used as flanks in this recording, one chair behind the virst violin and the first cello. Soloists have a T2, main pair are Neumann KM133A (exquisite microphones in every way).
4 CM3 used for the winds.

Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Have used the sE omni a couple of times recently, they seem quiet to me.
This sample is 'nothing': after flipping the last lightswitch at the organ, me walking downstairs, there are lots of pubs around are church.

Mics flat on the floor, 40cm AB, pointed out +/- 20 degrees
Audiofire4 at 30dB gain, 24/88200 digital into DR100mk3
Attached Files

nothing.wav (9.30 MB, 349 views)

Last edited by heva; 3 weeks ago at 03:15 PM..
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Have used the sE omni a couple of times recently, they seem quiet to me.
This sample is 'nothing': after flipping the last lightswitch at the organ, me walking downstairs, there are lots of pubs around are church.

Mics flat on the floor, 40cm AB, pointed out +/- 20 degrees
Audiofire4 at 30dB gain, 24/88200 digital into DR100mk3
If you use the SE omnis as boundary layer microphones, the signal to noise ratio actually gets 6 dB better.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orgeltonmeister ➡️
If you use the SE omnis as boundary layer microphones, the signal to noise ratio actually gets 6 dB better.
Please explain.
I can imagine the soundlevel to increase (by 6 dB?), but would think the mics s/n ratio can’t change. Don’t know.

Last edited by heva; 3 weeks ago at 07:12 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The signal appears 6dB higher but the mic noise stays the same.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sE8 omnis in 'floorcatcher array' - no enhancements.
Mind the neighbours
Attached Thumbnails
sE 8 Omnis - new affordable omni-orgue00.jpg  
Attached Files

nhgs.mp3 (7.45 MB, 27 views)

Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mind the neighbours
What's your floor-catcher array? =)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse ➡️
heva created it...an inverted Superlux S502 ORTF mic in 'boundary contact mode with the floor'...see pic in post no. 283 below.

Superlux s502

Also described :example of Floorcatcher array©®TM.

and post no. 338 and beyond here: Superlux s502

I guess you could also call it "FLOORTF" ....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by studer58 ➡️
heva created it...an inverted Superlux S502 ORTF mic in 'boundary contact mode with the floor'...see pic in post no. 283 below.

Superlux s502

Also described :example of Floorcatcher array©®TM.

and post no. 338 and beyond here: Superlux s502

I guess you could also call it "FLOORTF" ....
Thank you! Really appreciate the thinks.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Mind the neighbours
What’s the spacing between SE8s? And they were flush with the floor?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse ➡️
Spacing about 30cm, mics pointing outward +- 30 degrees(?), flush with the gravestone, using the backpack as a sort of (demi) “tête charlin” :-)
The panoramic picture exagerates distance, the organ was closer than it seems here
Attached Thumbnails
sE 8 Omnis - new affordable omni-5ceb317f-6b30-4ba1-894e-9faa6036232b.jpeg  

Last edited by heva; 2 weeks ago at 10:05 PM..
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Having used the sE8omnis in varying position (tall stand, boundary, etc), it seems to me they’re fine for pipeorgan; soft high boost, deep bass, nice allround sound, low noise. Keepers.
📝 Reply